Fringe 4/15/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dtivouser, Apr 16, 2011.

1. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Wow, that just didn't work for me... I adore this show but the cartoon "workaround" simply ruined what would otherwise already be a difficult Inception knockoff.

2. TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, a little on the bizarre side even for this show. I guess they had no choice because of Nimoy's refusal to come out of "retirement"? Betcha they're regretting that casting choice right about now.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And they didn't have to be so blatant about it...the cartoon didn't start until the moment Bell showed up, it was suspended when Olivia and Peter were alone together, and then it ended the moment Bell left.

But it was worth it to see The Guys tripping in the lab! (Of course, with Walter you couldn't see any difference...) :D
    Nah, if they regretted it they never would have brought Bell back in the first place. He is completely unnecessary to the plot at this point. It was just a stunt.

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I had it on while reading and seriously stopped to consider whether I was having some sort of neural malfunction.
    I mean, Seeley on Bones saw cartoons when he had a brain tumor...

5. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    +1

6. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I agree, didn't work very well for me either.

Still if you can get past the cartoon parts, the episode wasn't bad.

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Except, I'm pretty sure Nimoy actually filmed for this episode. The animation was digitally rotoscoped over filmed footage (like the "Talk to Chuck" ads for Charles Schwab), and I thought I had heard that Nimoy said he returned to film an episode of Fringe.

I thought it was neat. I liked it. The cartoon for me really emphasized the creepy unreality of it all.

The only quibble that I had was that it would've been better had they had some sort of fancier dissolve or transition when Peter walked into that house where Olivia was... it was a bit jarring to all of a sudden be back to normal. Which, BTW, explains why it wasn't rotoscoped in that section - it was the one place where Olivia felt "normal" again. Once they left the house, it was rotoscoped again.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Once she declared she wasn't afraid, I was hoping lil' Olivia would start kicking the threatening crowd's butts like in the Matrix.

Stoned Broyles was funny.

I certainly wasn't expecting zombies.

I laughed at Walter's face after he called Astrid "Astro" and she countered by calling him "Wally."

9. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    I appreciate them trying to be creative and give us something outside the box, but the animation didn't work for me either. If it had been a fee minutes it would have worked. But for half the episode? The style seemed bland and off and the animation was just too stiff.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I doubt it...Walter and Peter looked like they were rotoscoped off the actual actors, but Bell really didn't look much like Nimoy does these days...I suspect they had somebody else do the live-action and did the best they could to make it look like Nimoy in the animation.

And if he really was there, then why did they not do the animation in the in-mind scenes that Bell didn't appear in? It was pretty obvious to me that the only reason for the animation was to cover over Nimoy's absence, and make it possible for him to literally phone in his performance. And they didn't animate the scenes he wasn't in because they were too cheap to spring for it.

If you look more carefully at what Nimoy actually said about returning, he was pretty cagey. At the time, people were wondering what he meant, since he didn't flat-out say that HE was returning.

11. jkindley

jkindley Not so New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Lake of the...
    That was one wild acid trip, even broyles saw animation.
    It took me a minute to get comfortable with the animation, but after that I kind of liked it.
    I hope Olivia will now be more like her counterpart, and not so depressing.

12. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I guess I'm in the minority so far: I liked it. It worked for me. I just wish they would have gone all-in: for an inside-the-mind animated acid trip, it wasn't especially trippy. (Apart from the zombies, I mean). I was anticipating it to get a bit more psychedelic but it never quite did. Even the animation was in a very understated style. Where the Farscape episode "Revenging Angel" used Looney-Toons style animation to great effect (with the plot of that episode set in the comatose main character's mind), it was just kind of used to meh effect here. Even so, I enjoyed the episode quite a bit.

Oh, and I giggled at "YOU'RE going to drive?!" "Okay!"

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I didn't mind the animation and I don't think it took anything away from the story. You have to remember, we were in Olivia's mind while that was taking place.

Broyles on LSD. :D:up::cool:

And they made sure to cover up Nina's arm this time. :p

[​IMG]

This show has become the "new LOST" for me. I transfer it to my PC and strip out the commercials for archiving. Then I transfer a copy of the archive back to the Tivo so I can watch it without having to futz with the remote. :)

14. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    weeks of waiting for a new episode and then this crap :(

And here I was, thinking that the entire soul magnet plot was a ploy to get a new actor to play Bell!

15. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    I thought thats where they were going too. Otherwise this entire Bell in Olivia plot was pretty pointless.

16. RichardHead

RichardHead Musical Klutz

Nov 16, 2003
    Hollywood,...
    I'm betting that Olivia retains some of Bell's intelligence/data. Remember the first season when her 'boyfriend' and she shared minds and it took a fairly long ark to get him out of her mind?

17. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'm thinking Bell is still in Olivia's mind too, just dormant.

18. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    I'll agree ththat this episode fell kind of flat for me but nobody has mentioned the most important part. At the end Olivia identified that one dude as the person who is going to kkill her.

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The only thing missing was a few musical numbers. I understand FOX likes animation, but I don't - at least not in this type of show.

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm in the "I liked it, but it didn't rock my world" category.
    I liked the animation choice, but I wish they had used it less, loved the Walter falling and inside the zeppelin sections.

LOVED (all caps intended) Peter being able to see that wasn't Olivia and letting her know why, it puts the fauxlivia issues into the back burner, she now knows he cares. I hope this dovetails into her being more confident and outgoing ala Fauxlivia.

Great ending about her now knowing who kills her.
    diane-o-matic rating is:up: