Fringe 11/4/2011 Novation

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hummingbird_206, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1 of 40
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Yippee, it's back!

Interesting how Walter is reacting to Peter. Hope it's not too long before he accepts that it really is his son.

I didn't notice any Observers in this ep....did I just miss them?

2. Nov 5, 2011 #2 of 40
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    It seemed like Olivia was trying to put the moves on Lincoln at the end of the episode.

In the red universe at the end of last season it seemed liked their Olivia and their Lincoln were hooking up. Poor Peter.

3. Nov 5, 2011 #3 of 40
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It seems Olivia always gets involved with her partner.

4. Nov 5, 2011 #4 of 40
    robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    :up:
    How do I get partnered up with her?

5. Nov 5, 2011 #5 of 40
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    The neo-shifters being undetectable by any means other than surgically appears to be another slight exaggeration on order of the "he never existed" statement. I can think of at least a half dozen ways to detect them without surgery off the top of my head:

1. They have a lo-jack function and broadcast their location. You can initially find them via their broadcast location and narrow it down with a radio direction finder.

2. x-ray/cat-scan for the embedded tech

3. use sonogram to locate embedded tech.

4. EMP will disrupt the embedded tech, probably send the shifter into spasms, changing their appearance and possibly kill them.

5. Magnetic or magnetic resonance scan. This may force-ably pull the embedded tech out of the body and will probably kill the shifter.

6. inject with the appropriate restriction enzymes. This will also probably kill and will cause internal hemorrhaging (noted in the episode). This may be poisonous to regular humans, as well.

6. Nov 5, 2011 #6 of 40
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, this is kind of like the "medically indistinguishable from humans" Spylons in Battlestar Galactica...if they were truly medically indistinguishable from humans, they wouldn't be physically capable of doing the things they are capable of doing.

7. Nov 5, 2011 #7 of 40
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    So, any theories on where the new shapeshifters came from, and who she was reporting to?

Is the alternate universe not keeping to the peace treaty?

8. Nov 5, 2011 #8 of 40
    robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Maybe an alternate universe version of the ZFT (Zerstörung durch Fortschritte der Technologie, or in English, Destruction through Advancement of Technology)

I think at this point the two Fringe division's (including the Walter's) in each universe dislike each other, but need each other to fix the universe's from falling apart.

9. Nov 5, 2011 #9 of 40
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I don't think Walter ever wrote the ZFT manifesto in this timeline. Basically this is because there was no Peter to incite his paranoia about loosing him to the other universe. In that case, no ZFT.

However, David Robert Jones probably found something else to latch on to and fuel his megalomania. I think he is behind the 2.0 shapeshifters.

The shapeshifters exhibit the translucence that John Scott exhibited in the pilot when he got exposed to chemicals stored buy Jones' group. Those chemicals may have been there as part of Jones research into creating shapeshifters.

And he may have escaped to the other universe -- he died trying to do this in season one (as a result of something Peter did). Jones possibly may be allied with Walternate now.

It is odd that the Hermes 3000 used for communication is a manual typewriter. I would think it would be more difficult to quantum entangle because it would take a lot more energy make the keys strike. And perhaps the entire assembly for the typebar would need to be entangled, not just a few strategic particles in an electrical switch.

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I've missed a few eps of this. I noticed that Anna Torv has top billing over JJ. Did that just start this season, or has it always been that way?

BTW, the pace of this show seems molasses slow to me.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He was barely in the show at the beginning...

12. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    That's true only under cursory inspection. As I recall Baltar had a functioning Cylon detection system.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It wasn't a "cursory inspection." Baltar's device took many hours to process each individual sample.

Looking at a muscle cell under a microscope should have done it, since human muscles can't break steel.

14. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Finally watched it. I can't believe nobody else noticed (or at least did not mention it) the Blade Runner feel. Just like Roy seeking Tyrell toget "fixed", this shape-shifter (replicant?) seeks out Truss. And Truss has a dog named Sebastian.

15. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Did Nina have as close a relationship with Olivia before the change in the universe? I don't recall...

16. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I thought the episode was good. One could pick apart Fringe from episode one if science is the focus. It's been inconsistent from the start. With Peter back the group began the process of becoming the people we knew. And I liked how Peter said, "all of you are different." This board has talked about character changes for a while and now certain inconsistencies from previous weeks may be accepted.

I thought there were some duds before this week, but now I like the direction.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No.

None whatsoever, I believe.

18. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    That's very definitive, I think. ;)

19. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    So how did Peter's nonexistance result in Nina becoming Oliva's "guardian." Are they saying Walter was so different that somehow a connection was made?

20. latrobe7

latrobe7 What, me worry?

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    So what was the deal with the agent who gave Olivia some files, then a few seconds later gave them to her again - Olivia knew the same thing happened twice but the other agent did not. Ripple in time?