Fringe 11/11/11 "And Those We Left Behind"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by matt@thehickmans, Nov 12, 2011.

1. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    My favorite quote of the show is when Astrid and Walter were explaining to Peter that the plug for the faraday cage had to be stuck in the back of his neck, each prong on either side of his spine. Peter says in a resigned voice, "Of course it does."

This one of the episodes where the plot tends to be a metaphor for the relationships between the show's main characters. Raymond's (Stephen Root) wife forgot him; Olivia views Peter as a stranger. Raymond moves heaven and earth to get his wife back; Peter is ready to do the same. Root ultimately fails and has to live in the world as it is; Peter ????

Another really nice scene was when Olivia saw Peter being good with children after he found the little girl's elephant. Might Olivia be coming around? Later there is that conversation about how she was important to Peter and a glimmer of what might be. All the Olivias seems to fall for Peter. Fauxlivia did as well as original blue Olivia.

If the producers really want intensify the 'epic tragedy of love' theme, Olivia will silently start falling in love with Peter as Peter starts moving mountains to get back to his original timeline and the Olivia who remembers him.

The dream sequence at the top of the show also caught my attention. Just how much should we be reading into it? Is Peter seeing the timeline where he did 'survive to become a man' and a version of him came back to romantic bliss with Olivia? And where Walter retained all that he had gained over the last three years? Or is it just a wish fulfillment dream that comes crashing into reality when Olivia accuses him of being the problem?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm more than convinced that's where they're going with Peter realizing he's not in the "correct world" It breaks my heart the past few weeks to see Peter who had found his place with Olivia having an Olivia that isn't his and doesn't remember what the Olivia who loves him would.

I think in that way it made the Mad Scientist of the Week more poignant (as I suspect was intended) with a couple in a very similar situation of needing to let go because they love each other so much.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That, and when he was experiencing the time jumps and said "This is going to start getting annoying". :p

Does anyone decipher the symbols at the end of each segment before the commercials?
    In one of the previous episodes, it was "reset". I'm thinking we're back to square one with the amber universe being just like the blue universe at the beginning. The only anomaly is Peter. This could possibly introduce another parallel universe (purple maybe? :p) that is starting to interfere with the amber universe.
    It has me wondering what's happening between the blue and red universes, now that they know of each other's existence and their supposed cooperation with each other.

With the rumors that this could be the last season just has me thinking this show could end without any resolutions.:(

4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
  5. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Peter has a way with Olivias no matter which universe/timeline they come from. The original blue Olivia fell in love with him. The red Fauxlivia seems to as well. It is not a stretch to believe that this Olivia will fall for him too.

But, as long as there is any hope that he can get back to his own timeline & with the Olivia who remembers him, this Olivia doesn't have a chance. Peter already was taken in by Fauxlivia. And he was was embarrassed by not being able to tell the difference between her and his Olivia. He will be doubly on guard not to screw up again.

6. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
  7. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    The actress who plays Oliva has done a remarkable job because I thought the first two Livs were hot and this one isn't remotely attractive. And she accomplished this with minimal appearance change. This Oliva is sympathetic, but the sort of person who belongs with Lincoln (who is also sheepishly different). In fact so far only Broyles & maybe Astrid seem the same though maybe I'm missing their differences.

Great acting. This show with a slight retooling would have been great on AMC/FX/TNT.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I like this whole time-loop concept. I liked it better when they had the same plot in season 4 of SG-1. (Window of Opportunity).

Hey, how was Peter able to talk to (or even see) Olivia when it was 2007 inside the time bubble?

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You realize, of course, that according to strictly enforced international treaties every genre show is required to have a Groundhog Day episode?

I give Fringe kudos for playing with the trope a lot more than most genre shows do.

(Give SG-1 credit, however...they were probably only the 8th or 9th genre show to do a Groundhog Day episode!)
    Because the 2007 in the time bubble was taking place in 2011.

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    True enough. But I was struck by how similar the plot was to the SG-1 ep whereby the husband instituted the loop for the purpose of being with the wife. And, with each successive loop, more of the code/equation was completed to extend/maintain the loop.

Of course, I'm no fizzy-cist, but wouldn't the 'mobile Faraday rig' prevent any radio waves from getting outside the bubble, thus preventing Peter from walky-talking to Olivia?

11. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I feel like I keep re-experiencing the same Groundhog Day episodes over and over again.

12. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm not loving this season. I don't like these pod people and I don't like them treating Peter like a criminal. I get it, I do. I just don't like it. Either have him get back to his timeline or if this IS his timeline, can we get them their flipping memories of him back?? It's seriously depressing me watching it now.

Although I really do love Lincoln. I liked him in the alt timeline too. He can stay. :)

13. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    What happened to Charlie in this timeline?

14. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    In the original timeline (blueverse) he was killed by a shapeshifter. He's still in the alt timeline (redverse) and if this is a new timeline (amberverse) then we have no idea if he's alive or dead.

15. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I agree. :up::up: This show is totally bumming me out now, I hope the pay off is worth it. I keep half hoping that during one of these episodes Peter will run into an observer, and we'll get an explanation on why this had to happen, and why Peter was not deleted from existence in the new timeline.

My wife is pregnant with a boy, was flipping through a name book yesterday and saw that Peter, a name derived from the Greek word, for rock. That made me think of this show, and how that Walter especially needed Peter to be his rock. Just sharing....

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    He's a homicide detective in NYC now. ;):p

17. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I do have to say, this is the ballsiest plot twist to ever happen on a TV show that I can think of. They pretty much rebooted all the characters, so we have to re-get to know them.

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    *snort* awesome meta reference!

19. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Well if the payoff isn't any better than it was with Fauxlivia switcheroo then I might just have to be out.

20. jebbbz

jebbbz Member

Sep 7, 2007
    35th and...
    Huh? Amber-Liv looks just like Blue-Liv So no loss of hotness there. Neither Amber-Liv nor Blue-Liv is as lively and outgoing as Red-Liv but Amber is only a little more reserved than Blue. Amber and Blue smile about as often as each other, albeit less than Red. Apparently, there has been no John Scott in Amber's life but she seems to be taking a shine to, and tentatively courting, Amber-Lee. She is kind to children and to Walter (OK, not a huge difference). She'd be a great date at a saloon brawl or an alien invasion.

Heck, i'd take any (or all) of the three.