Fringe - 1/13/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Family, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Finally an episode that moved the arc along. Took too long considering the writers felt they needed a full season to finish the story. Getting a little confusing/complicated with so many Olivia's/Walter's etc. For example when Peter told Lincoln 2 that Fauxlivia 2 was a good person... how would he know? Everyone in the new universe is different so why is he to assume Fauxlivia 2 hasn't changed in the new alternate one?

Is it me or is Olivia 2 now more like our beloved Olivia than a couple of episodes ago?

When Obsever told Olivia 2 that she was going to die are we supposed to care? I mean there's still three others and this one is the least likeable. For a moment I had forgotten he wasn't talking to our Olivia. If this one dying gets us back to the original gang... then get rid of her next episode.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    FWIW, this was intended to be the fall finalé, until the World Series delay messed up the schedule.

3. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    After watching PBS's Nova about the possibility of multiple universes where people like ourselves exist but are slightly different, maybe this show isn't so far fetched after all.

4. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I hate to say it, but I'm losing interest in this show. It used to be my favorite show on TV, and I watched it almost live every week. Now they've moved into a place where the actors all look like the characters I cared about, but they aren't those characters. And I hate the characters they are playing now. I have to force myself to watch. :(

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If only this had been their finale, this was finally back to being one of the stronger episodes, and it begins to show that the writers understand that getting Peter back to where he's supposed to be is important.

I really miss OUR world in the Fringe'verse, where Peter and Olivia were finally getting together.

Highlights for me in this episode were
    • This "our Olivia" doesn't cross over on her own like ours
    • Peter's Mom being the one who accepts him for being able to accept him as him
    • Walternate not being as evil (most likely)
    • The Walter Peter discussion about them being/not being the man they thought they were
    • Robert David Jones not being cut in half
    • The original device being item 317 at Massive Dynamics
    • The dream opening where Peter's resolve to get back is heightened

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    We were back in "our" (amber) universe when that happened. That was Olivia 1(3 ?). Did you not notice the blond hair? ;)

BTW is the "other" universe still the 'red' universe? I think not due to Walter's interaction with Peter. Maybe we'll find out next episode?

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Frankly, I'm so confused as to what universe is what, I'm losing interest. The show as it stands is good (acting, etc.) but trying to keep track of who's who and where's where and what universe is what universe is simply exhausting....and that's unfortunate for a show that once was quite excellent.

8. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    BTW, did anyone notice the flash in Walter's eye during his scene with Peter?

[​IMG]

I wonder what that was.

9. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I could almost say the same thing about LOST. But I did the work and kept up for a (debatable) satisfying end.

10. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Well, one possibility is that she doesn't know that she can cross over on her own.

Yes! I rewound a couple of times but could not determine what it was.

it was so obvious that it cannot possibly be a mistake by the lighting director or something like that.

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I noticed two "hiccups" during the broadcast, and I'm wondering if they were my TiVo or if they were part of the episode. The first was a quick "rewind" (split second at most) when Peter was dreaming at the beginning of the ep and Walter was naked in the apron making pancakes. The second was an identical hiccup when Peter and Olivia were being transported in a vehicle. Did anyone else see this?

12. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    That was from the people at the Box^H^H^HFox network. Silly sports. You'd think the FCC would give Fox a special channel for sports. They could call it Fox Sports.

13. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm glad the show's back but I think they definitely pushed it by having yet another set of people running around. Like someone said, if the Blonde Olivia we're watching this season is told she's gonna die, who cares, since she's allegedly not the one we've been following for three years.

I'm not sure I'm convinced there IS a third timeline though (the one Peter thinks he's trying to get back to). Universe 1 and Universe two were battling for a while, then Peter put himself in the machine and that act simultaneously linked the two worlds and removed him from EXISTENCE. The Observer said "the timeline was rewritten and yet traces of him still exist"--that says to me that he didn't jump timelines or dimensions--he's been in the correct timeline ever since he popped back up in that lake, it's just not the same back the Observers wrote his ass out of it.

That's the only thing that makes sense. At the end of last season he successfully bridged world 1 and world 2, and we watched him disappear in front of them, and then them have no clue about it... So we're watching those same people, things are just different b/c of what the Observers did.

I did see the glint in Walternate's eye--it was hard to miss. It's either a sign/clue, or John Noble had cataract surgery and they couldn't fix that light reflection in post-production.

14. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Wow I entirely missed that. Am I the only one who didn't pick this up?

15. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    +1

I think it's getting to the point where many of us have to spend so much time trying to figure out what's going on that we're losing interest. IMO the writers are getting a little too "too" if you know what I mean - they need to back off and start writing for the viewers, not themselves.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    On the one hand, I love what they're doing. On the other hand, people who write for me tend to have their shows not last too long. :D

An example of what you're talking about:

http://blastr.com/2012/01/annoyed-with-fringes-new.php

So, back to the hands. On the one hand, I'm glad that they're pushing the boundaries and doing truly innovative television. On the other hand, they seem to be genuinely clueless that they're supposed to be writing for an audience, and that they are running the very real risk of losing a substantial part of their audience.

I just wish more people could be like me. :D

17. kimsan

kimsan underling

Jan 23, 2002
    Greenbackvil...
    As already suggested in this thread, I would interpret this season as the same two universes we've been following, just altered by the lack of Peter.

But still, it's tough to care much as it amounts to a "Sideways" season and just doesn't feel right. It wasn't particularly interesting when Lost did it either.

It's tough to hold an audience when only SOME of the behaviors make sense give the character development you used to be following.

I'm still on board, but caring less, trusting less that they have a clear destination for the story in mind.

18. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Exactly, the question behind the scenes for me is can she? Or is she prevented from being able to do it by the late night shots from Massive Dynamic that gives her migraines.

19. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    In turn, I get a bit annoyed with people who want their shows the way they want them right now, without having the patience to follow the story where the writers want it to go. It seems likely enough that where this ends up is with our characters restored to the (our) status quo, so I'm willing to enjoy the alt-alt wrinkles being thrown our way on their own merits.

I don't think you can write scared. It would be one thing if the show came into this season's arc knowing it was the last year, and decided anyway to spend the majority of the year with the characters as we know them apart from each other. It's another to want to tell a story, and assume you'll have time to do so. I believe we're seeing the latter -- risky, sure, based on what we've seen of the ratings, but you can't know that in advance. The alternative is to write scared.

20. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    My objection isn't so much spending time with this boring crew; it's that they had so many "freak of the week" episodes earlier this season that the viewer can't help feeling, "ENOUGH OF THESE PEOPLE!" even after a good one like this. This late (where they claimed to have needed a full season to complete the story) they had to figure out a way to make EVERY episode more revelant to the arc especially when it's pretty much agreed that this universe sucks.

All the talk in that link about payoff is crap IMO. The viewer has to be enjoying the ride too and that has been blah. I was hoping the Fringe team would put together a fantastic season with this golden (undeserved by ratings) opportunity. Even a great payoff has sacrificed too much. But this was a good episode. That should be the standard not a Fringe event.