Fringe 03/25/2011 "Bloodline"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Anubys, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

Advertisements

I can just see the Fringe Show Runner wondering: "How the hell did the V writers slip in here and write this script?!"

I love Fringe, but that was real bad writing. I'll list just one example:giving her medicine by pill when she has a hundred tubes in her?

give me a break!

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    yeah, wasn't a big fan of this ep

just now they don't need Peter to power the machine

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, the whole episode simply seemed like the writers admitting that while they loved the idea of Fauxlivia giving birth, they weren't quite sure how to deal with a 9-month-long Fauxlivia pregnancy. It's the in utero version of the "Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome."

4. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    That bothered me, too. I was thinking, couldn't the writers come up with a way for Fauxlivia to pull an IV out without the people knowing, at least that would mostly make sense.

One redeeming feature of this episode: finally the fringe division people show a speck of doubt about Walternate. It has been ridiculous for so long that these otherwise highly intelligent people do not question Walternate at all.

5. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008

Advertisements

They wanted her solely for the purpose of accelerating her pregnancy in order to prevent the virus from killing it. Further, Walternate did not want to take the chance that Fauxlivia would abort.

The abductors could either have released her or allowed her to escape. The pill may have just been a ruse to make her think she escaped on her own. Release might have been plan B.

The Observers' interest in the child may indicate that Peter's importance was primarily as a sperm donor. The earlier testing of Walter's willingness to allow Peter to come to harm may be evidence that they are no longer concerned that Peter survive.

6. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    What was the deal with having her go to the bathroom? Why not use a catheter? And the deal with the pill? Yeah - I didn't buy a lot of the stuff that went on with the "acceleration".

I do love when they go to the alternate universe so you can see and hear how things are the same but different. Like Francis Ford Coppola directing Taxi Driver (that one cracked me up!!!). And the West Wing Season 12 sign on the taxicab. The set direction is quite clever and brilliant! :up:

And I still love this show, even when parts of it are silly...

7. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    But that whole virus business was just a device to introduce the rapid gestation process in this episode in the first place. There was never any talk of it in a prior episode, right? It's supposed to be what killed her sister when she was giving birth, but I don't remember them pinning it on a hereditary virus with a high probability of occurring in her too.

I really thought Fauxlivia was a goner after she gave birth. They totally had me with that scene.

Were we supposed to recognize the nurse with the mask on? I know the male nurse/orderly later turns up again in the hospital room with Fauxlivia, but they made such a point of her having a mask on and only taking it off when she was gone that it seems like we're meant to have recognized her from a previous episode.

8. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    were we supposed to recognize the blonde nurse? she removed her mask as if there was some shock value to the viewer seeing who she was...

9. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I'll overlook "The small Pill VS IV" inconsistancies as long as the episode is arc related. The last few weeks have been ridiculous. The wheelchair son plot was absurd and not worth watching at all.

Let the Universe VS Universe storyline move along (without that theme being stupid) and I'm a happy camper.

10. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    My impression is that the abductors didn't know about the virus. Only her, her mom, and her doctor knew about it. She just lucked out and lived because the accelerated pregnancy outran the virus.

That was also the comic that somebody was reading... "Opus the Peahen". It was clearly an alternate version of Opus the penguin from our world's Bloom County comics.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    When Fauxlivia escaped, the nurse removed her mask so we would recognize her amidst the people in the crowd after the delivery. Obviously, we should keep an eye out for her in future episodes. Her role is not done.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, I'm with Matt. The whole thing was Walternate's scheme to get Liv's baby born safely.

13. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm with Jeeters, I thought the purpose of the rapid birth was to get it done quickly so that they could advance their trans-dimensional studies.

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I agree, though I can see it both ways. The thing that tips the scale toward Jeeters for me is Fauxlivia's conversation with the nurse, where she reveals that she has VPE in an attempt to appeal to the nurse's sense of compassion and "first-do-no-wrong." The nurse is, at least momentarily, conflicted. It seems evident its a new piece of information the nurse must process. Does she really want to go through with it, given it will likely mean Fauxlivia's death? She hesitates but then decides to proceed. If the point of the abduction was to evade VPE by progressing the pregnancy at light-speed, why show the nurse's momentary ambivalence? What would the point of the scene have been, in that case?

15. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Is rapid birth something everybody does over there? It's not experimental? I can't see Walternate taking any unnecessary chances with his grandson, so it's more likely that it was done because he knew about the virus. (he knows everything, right?)

As soon as abortion was on the table, I expected Walternate to do something to guarantee the baby's survival. Olivia's survival not such a big thing. Nobody thinks he was going to have her disappear and keep the baby himself? I guess Olivia does have her uses for him. :confused:

16. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    What I question is that they have the ability to accelerate pregnancies to it appears less than 2/3 months. At least in our reality that would be a multi billion dollar industry. Why hide it, I am sure millions of mothers would line up for that procedure.

17. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Unless it was riskier for the mother. Walternate might not have cared about that, but most mothers would.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The nurse didn't know why they were doing it.

19. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Will this procedure also lead to accelerated growth of the infant?

20. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Exactly. The nurse could very well have been on a "need to know" basis. And Walternate decided she didn't need to know.