Fringe 01/21/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Family, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I admit to dosing off throughout the episode which says something in itself. This moved the arc along, but as discussed in last week's thread I care less and less about this timeline. One question... I forget what happened to Peter's mother in the alternate universe on the other timeline. Was she alive? I don't remember her.

I watch Fringe each week and am more than a casual fan, but I just can't keep track of all these situations. Or better yet - don't care to. I'll watch this to the end, but as an example, I can't figure out what Nina's motives are in the original universes to be excited about the twists they are building now.

I probably missed some during my nodding off. Do others think this episode was a great one? I'm not even inclined to watch it again.

2. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I actually liked it. I was kind of wondering if Peter would ask Jones for help returning him to his time line.

Also, is Nina and Jones working on getting the two sides to work together? Or something more nefarious?

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm trying to remember exactly where that third universe came from.
    Isn't that the one that Peter is trying to get back to?
    And, if there is a third, there are probably more.

I too nod off during the episodes, so probably have missed a lot.

4. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    There's only 2 universe's (that we know of). There are however 2 timelines, so that means there are 2 different version of each universe. Can this get more confusing?

5. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Don't they have some kind of test for shape shifters other than autopsy? They need to develop one asap.

I thought this was a really good ep.

It's kind of interesting to think what it would be like to meet a "copy" of a loved one who has passed away. Seems like there would be more similarities than differences....

So they can just go from one universe to the other at will now with no side effects or problems? The only reason they went to all that trouble was to hide it from Broyles? And that's not even evil Broyles. You'd think at least there would be some kind of molecular disturbance or something that they could monitor to know someone snuck in or out. :confused:

6. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, just don't let Gaius Baltar make it.

Anyhow, where's "Midtown Manhatan"(sic) ?

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's how they spell it over there. Always have.

8. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Confusing, yes, but still a damn good watch. But I watch it with a sense of impending doom given the show's status. Oh well.

9. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I think she killed herself. She could not live with the lie and the fact that she had to convince Peter that the other universe didn't exist and his life over there was in his imagination, etc.

10. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    For the first time I caught the observer (I usually totally miss him), walking behind Peter during the chase.

11. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    These are the situations I have difficulty understanding. 1) What is different about this alternate universe that Peter's mother would still be alive. 2) What is different about this Broyles that he would be siding with the shapeshifters? 3) What is different about this Nina that would account for her actions? 4) Why won't this Walter embrace Peter like the other Walter did?

Maybe they explain later, but the show feels stuck in quicksand with many characters fighting a battle too complicated for a series coming to an conclusion. No ending imaginable will be worth the boredom/frustration of these 9 episodes.

I'll be watching, but please bring back the old gang NOW!

12. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    These are my guesses.
    1. In this timeline, I hypothesize Peter's mother killed herself because Walter accidentally killed the peter from the other universe. She experienced the death of her son twice.
    2. My guess is that he is a shape shifter
    3. Jones was the head of the ZFT in the prime timeline, in this one they haven't explained what how Nina and him are connected.
    4. The guilt of watching his own son die, then accidentally killing another Peter drove him mad. I'm assuming Bell also carved out some of his brain similar to the prime time line.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    [​IMG]

Found a possible continuity error: If the motor of the car is cut in half and stops running, wouldn't the gears stop turning also?

[​IMG]

Also with the battery gone, the tail lights shouldn't be lit.
    :D

I liked the episode. John Noble was excellent as usual.
    So, Jones and Nina are in cahoots and we already know Nina is doing something to Olivia by giving her injections (presumably to enhance her abilities). Can't wait to see what "Phase Two" of their plan is.

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Walter talked about this in the previous episode.
    About how he lost everything important to him and spent years in a mental institution without any hope and how he can't go down that road again.

How does this man not have an Emmy?
    His scenes with Peter last week and Elizabeth this week were absolutely brilliant (not to mention playing Walter one day and Walternate the next day).

15. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Wasn't there some mention that Wm. Bell had not invented something in this timeline that he did in the original? Could he possibly have been more careful here? Also, if Nina is more evil, their relationship may have been different. It does seem like Walter is just as messed up, or more so. But it may not have been Bell's fault.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Bell died young in this world.

(Which makes one wonder how exactly Walter ended up with the exact same brain damage without Bell's surgical intervention, but I guess we're supposed to believe that the trauma of losing Peter had the same effect on him as radical brain surgery... :D)

17. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Or suppress them?

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Me too for the first time.

19. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    And this is different from our universe how?

20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, Walter Bishop is a fictional character in our Universe.

Oh, you mean the Prime Fringe Universe?
    :p

Because Peter was still alive, Walter had hope.
    He could tell himself that at least Peter being alive had come out of all of that.

In the new timeline, Peter is dead.
    His wife and son are dead.
    His career was destroyed.
    He's was in a mental institution and he had no hope.