"Friends" Reunion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
  2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That's a separate paid channel, no? :( I just cruised through the zillion HBO channels I have and that's not one of them. The other one that's free if you have HBO is HBO Go. Kinda pisses me off that I pay a ton of $$$ to have all the HBO channels and I would have to pay more per month to get this one. :mad:

3. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It’s not available anywhere until May. If you subscribe to HBO directly, HBO Max will be the same price ($14.99) that HBO Now is currently. It’s not entirely clear what will happen with HBO bought through cable companies.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    HBO Max is AT&T’s upcoming streaming service. It’s not really HBO in the sense that you are thinking of it; AT&T is just using the HBO brand to lend the service some cache.

5. realityboy

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Except it does include everything HBO currently has.

NashGuy likes this.
  6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

“Have you heard about HBO Max? Looking to add another app and monthly charge to watch things? HBO Max has you covered. It’s gonna have all your favorites. Reruns of The Big Bang Theory, reruns of Friends, reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. You can pay for all of those through HBO Max.
    HBO Max: It’s not HBO. It’s just TV.
    — Last Week Tonight, John Oliver

Steveknj likes this.
  7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    What I meant is that AT&T is using the HBO brand on a new product that is decidedly not what HBO has ever been. You happen to get the old product along with it.

realityboy likes this.
  8. realityboy

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    True, and with the Max, I would think it would include Cinemax which it does not. The marketing made this confusing.

NashGuy likes this.
  9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Meh....unscripted/reality/docu/hyper reality...... meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I thought they had olans to include Cinemax later.

11. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    From what I have read, AT&T is not shutting down Cinemax but people expect it to fade away. No new original content will be made for Cinemax.

NashGuy likes this.
  12. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    The HBO Max app will probably eventually replace both the HBO Now and HBO Go apps. HBO will basically morph into being the prestige content brand inside the broader HBO Max service. As you can see from this screenshot of a beta version of the app, it will feature branded content hubs, of which HBO is the main one, but over half of the content included will reside in one of the other hubs. In other words, HBO Max will offer everything HBO does plus a lot more. It will have over twice the number of hours of content as HBO alone does (in the HBO Go and HBO Now apps).

HBO Max hubs.jpeg

YouTube TV is the first cable TV service that they've struck a deal with but I expect all the big ones will follow suit -- Comcast, Charter, Verizon, Cox, Altice, Hulu with Live TV, etc. And what the means is that they won't sell "just HBO" any more. They'll sell HBO Max. You'll still get the HBO linear channels and its on-demand library via your cable box/app but if you want to access the rest of the content inside HBO Max, the non-HBO stuff, you'll probably need to use the separate HBO Max app. To use that app, you'll either need to authenticate your cable TV credentials (like you do now with HBO Go) or you'll need to have a standalone $15/mo subscription to HBO Max (like you do now with HBO Now).

No word yet whether the live linear HBO channels will be streamed inside the HBO Max app. But we do know that they later plan to offer an option bundle(s) of live cable channels in the HBO Max app, as Hulu already does. My guess is that they do include at least the main linear HBO channel in the app at launch. We'll see.

realityboy likes this.
  13. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I really have no need for HBO at all but I am hoping there will be a free trial so I can watch this one-time special and be done with it.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I think every service these days offers a 7-day trial...

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    If you pay for HBO thru your cable provider, you *should* get a free subscription to HBO-Max. Which, just to be clear, is a streaming service, like Disney+ or Netflix.

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Nope.

Have you heard about HBO Max? Looking to add another app and monthly charge to watch things?

17. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    too early to say Nope. HBOMax doesn’t exist yet.

18. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    True, but they are already saying that HBO Now subscribers will get HBO Max free. HBO through a cable subscription get HBO GO for free, not HBO Now

See: HBO Max

Offer available only to new and existing HBO NOW subscribers who subscribe through hbonow.com and are billed by HBO. Offer not currently available to HBO subscribers that obtain their subscriptions through third-party providers that are authorized to distribute the HBO NOW service.

19. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Negotiations continue, though.

We pay $15/month for HBO anyway, so we’ll just drop XfinityHBO and subscribe to Max directly if need be. I’m sure Comcast is well aware of this and will make some sort of deal.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Seems that’s it’s a better deal for HBO if you subscribe directly ;)
    (and Comcast can’t make a deal for HBO Max if HBO doesn’t offer it to them)

I stand by my “Nope” :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020