1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends on Netflix (entire show run - spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dthmj, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1 of 101
    dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Netflix has all seasons of Friends now. My daughter binged watched the first 6 seasons (through Friday - so not quiet a season a day ;) ).

While I did not personally watch every episode during her binge watching, I saw several - and I remembered just how great that show was.

I think my favorite so far has been “The One With the Embryos” (Season 4, episode 12) - in which Ross is host to a quiz between Rachel/Monica and Joey/Chandler over aspects of their lives.

Anyone else rewatching? Any favorite episodes or moments?

2. Jan 11, 2015 #2 of 101
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Funny how, just this morning, I was thinking about what a great show 'Friends' was! These were some GREAT characters and I can't even remember a time when any of them did anything that seemed like something that character wouldn't do.

Some of my favorite bits were with Ross. Schwimmer was brilliant with that character. I know that the writers write the characters, but some actors REALLY create the characters.

Some of my fav Ross bits were when he went to the spray tan, when he got his teeth whitened, and when he wore those leather pants on a date. Oh yeah, and one early bit with Rachel in the laundromat. His physical comedy was great.

I loved the series ending. I could write a book of episodes and bits that I loved about that show. I still frequently watch episodes on TBS and find myself laughing out loud at stuff I've seen dozens of times.

When the show first came out I thought it was probably kind of like silly sophomoric stuff in which I wouldn't be interested. Well, ok, it WAS silly. But it was a great show with many many great moments and storylines.

Oh yeah, and I loved fat Monica! Her fat Monica dancing always made me laugh.

3. Jan 12, 2015 #3 of 101
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Is the Netflix version 16x9? I read that they put out a DVD set that is widescreen but the version of DVDs I have isn't.

4. Jan 12, 2015 #4 of 101
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched the first 2-3 episodes of season 1 last week. I don't recall when I started watching Friends, but I'm sure I had never seen the first couple episodes.

I remembered Ross had a kid, but I was surprised that story started so early in the show. With the lesbian ex-wife and such.

5. Jan 12, 2015 #5 of 101
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    There are few shows that hold up to multiple viewings the way Friends does. I've seen every episode at least a handful of times, and they still make me laugh. It's very rare for a show to last that long and not overstay its welcome. Friends remained consistently funny to the very end.

6. Jan 12, 2015 #6 of 101
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Pivot

7. Jan 12, 2015 #7 of 101
    brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Agree!
    I'm not a big David Schwimmer fan, though. He was my least favorite character.

Joey and Phoebe could always make me laugh.

I loved the episode where Phoebe was trying to teach Joey how to speak French....classic Joey!!

And, all of the episodes when Joey knew about Monica and Chandler, but no one else did were pretty funny. Some classic lines and situations for everyone in the group!

8. Jan 12, 2015 #8 of 101
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    We have 3 shows we just throw on in the background or when going to sleep

Big Bang, Futurama, and Friends

So we have seen every ep of Friends like 20 times at least :)

So many great lines. Some of the Ross/Rachel stuff got old even when watching it the first time though.

JOEY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD!

Pizza, we LIKE PIZZA! Dammit Carl.

My 2 mortal enemies, Rachel Green and complex carbohydrates.

9. Jan 12, 2015 #9 of 101
    brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    And, of course (as some on this Board already uses as his byline on his posts)...
    "What do you mean you don't have a television? What's all your furniture pointed at?"

10. Jan 12, 2015 #10 of 101
  11. Jan 12, 2015 #11 of 101
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Wife has been watching it, neither one of us really watched it on it's original run. The HD conversion looks really good though.

12. Jan 12, 2015 #12 of 101
    Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    You just listed all the things I hated about the Ross character! :D

I actually think they changed the Ross character quite a lot as the show wore on. Early on he was a dorky, quiet, shy guy, an academic who was smart, and the comedy came from his awkward relationships - his ex, his monkey, Rachel. Later on in the show they turned him into a shrill, screaming, crazy guy who did really wacky stuff that the early Ross never would have done - like the spray tan and the leather pants, examples of why I hate what they did to his character.

13. Jan 12, 2015 #13 of 101
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm in complete agreement here. I find many episodes in the last five seasons pretty tough to watch for exactly this reason. This really started in season five, after the botched wedding to Emily. I remember disliking the character transformation as that season unfolded, even as I would allow that Ross got pretty rocked by the Emily/Rachel thing and probably would be a mess for a while. He even dated Janice that season! When she broke if off with him, calling him an annoying whiner -- to his shock; this was Janice leveling the charge, after all -- I thought it was brilliant! The character hits rock bottom, where even Janice doesn't like him, and that wakes him up and brings him back to himself after the trauma. But no... that wasn't the grand plan after all, and he kept going in that direction. He even got dumber than Joey for a while.

Both the Gellers suffered, actually. Monica became a shrill, one-note harpy in the last several seasons.

14. Jan 12, 2015 #14 of 101
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I might put the Season 5 'Monica and Chandler hide their relationship' arc as one of the highest points. There are some great episodes in there.

But Tami is right, the one with the friendship Quiz is probably the best episode.

'That's MISS Chadandler Bong'

15. Jan 12, 2015 #15 of 101
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    16x9 1080p.

16. Jan 12, 2015 #16 of 101
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought I read somewhere that the Ross character changed as a result of him arguing with the show runner and/or writers, I forget which. They turned him into the a-hole he became because of it. At the beginning Ross had very endearing qualities. I would say somewhere around the time of his relationship with Emily he changed.

17. Jan 12, 2015 #17 of 101
    Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Yes! You nailed it.

Agree that that is the best arc of the show - pretty much from the wedding in London until the Vegas episode (excluding the Vegas episodes, I didn't care for them much) was the high point of the show for me.

The One with the Embyos is an awesome episode, but it's incomplete because the non-friendship quiz half of the episode is kind of boring. I never cared for the Phoebe has her brother's babies storyline.

18. Jan 12, 2015 #18 of 101
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Friends and Seinfeld are two series that someday I want to watch again from the start. Though I have no idea when I will have the time to do that.

19. Jan 12, 2015 #19 of 101
    TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    My wife has kept the embryo episode on our Tivo for over a year, and we'll watch it every couple of months or so.

"The LIGHTNING ROUND!" :D

20. Jan 12, 2015 #20 of 101
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Totally agree that Monica and Ross became rather unlikable over the last half of the show's run, but Ross definitely got the worst of it. He was one of my favorite characters over the first four seasons - because he was kinda the "everyman" of the characters (minus the pet monkey and having a baby with his lesbian ex-wife, of course ;)).