1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends and Family Sale - RMA'ing my new TiVo Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by spaceleeb, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 5, 2018 #1 of 54
    spaceleeb

spaceleeb New Member

May 29, 2010
    Got the Friends and Family offer today... $100 off a Bolt+ Vox 3TB and $200 off lifetime service! Great deal!

Unfortunately just bought one last week and haven't had it yet more then a week...

TiVo's solution? They are forcing me to RMA/return my barely used TiVo and re-order under the promo.

I think they have a 30-day return policy. Hopefully all of you that bought within the last 30 days will flood TiVo with return requests to re-order under the Friends and Family offer that I assume everyone is receiving.

Maybe they will rethink their approach to customer service if they get enough barely used devices back!
    IMG_0773.PNG

2. Dec 5, 2018 #2 of 54
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, a 30-day guarantee/return period. Too bad TiVo/its system seemingly just can't handle a "swap deal" request. But, good you got the deal, regardless.

spaceleeb likes this.
  3. Dec 5, 2018 #3 of 54
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is worth it to you. Stupid of Tivo. All they are doing is building used inventory. And costing them money to boot.

All they had to do was credit your account. Either your Tivo account for stuff later or your credit card by the difference.

SalemCat and spaceleeb like this.
  4. Dec 5, 2018 #4 of 54
    bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    They created a case for me for the Roamio OTA I bought two weeks ago. They said call back once the 30 day return period is up and they will credit me the $50. Not sure why they couldn’t do it now, but maybe they were worried I would take the $50 credit and then return the unit and they would issue a full refund. Hopefully this works out.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  5. Dec 5, 2018 #5 of 54
    just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I would get them to email me that offer so you can prove it after 30 days.

fcfc2, unclehonkey and krkaufman like this.
  6. Dec 6, 2018 #6 of 54
    tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I would be leary of that. One time I qualified for one of the promos but "the website had issues" so I could not order (lifetime transfer to refurb for $99). They could not do it over the phone either (why, who knows?). Tried a couple times, gave up. Had to call about another issue a few weeks later. Since they told me I qualified before figured I'd ask about it. They said they'd call back. They actually did, said I qualified but I'd have to buy the Bolt ($149 refurb) and pay full price for the lifetime ($550). Then AFTER 30 DAYS they would refund me the difference. So they wanted me to lay out $700 for an item that was supposed to be $249, then after my return period expired they would refund $450. Yeah right, I did not do it. The people you talk to in customer support now have almost no authority to do anything money wise. They have to call someone else (the person you should be talking to I guess). Good luck getting them to honor what they said after your return window closes. Even though a hassle (and dumb on their part), I'd do the new purchase and return of the current item. I think they will be getting a LOT of returns if they can't find a way to just refund the difference, current deals much better than the BF/Winter sale deals. Surprised they are having such a better deal within 30 days of the other sale, just ASKING for trouble...................

spaceleeb likes this.
  7. Dec 6, 2018 #7 of 54
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Call another csr and see if you get a better answer.

CloudAtlas likes this.
  8. Dec 6, 2018 #8 of 54
    spaceleeb

spaceleeb New Member

May 29, 2010
    I heard from Executive Customer Service / Escalation just now...

She informs me that since I bought the hardware with a promo code (I had found a $100 off coupon associated with a Podcast), they won't price match and will force a return and re-purchase.

I let her know that as someone who has used TiVo over 10 years and who has over 10 devices in the home, it is absolutely the stupidest thing to say or do to a customer. She wasn't interested in doing anything for me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. Dec 6, 2018 #9 of 54
    just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Companies today have mastered transforming them themselves from existing for the convenience of their customers to the customers existing for THEIR convenience.

apsarkis and spaceleeb like this.
  10. spaceleeb

spaceleeb New Member

May 29, 2010
    You are absolutely correct... The only way to teach them is to pull away... I have 3-5 streaming service subscriptions... 2 other major brands of streaming boxes... Guess it's time to cut TiVo out of the loop!!

11. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Welllllll, though it is a hassle to send back and place new order it is hurting them more than you I think. You were happy with your original purchase I assume. Now a bit of effort and will save even more. It IS nice they cover all shipping costs too. Warranties are pretty good, many people get $49 exchanges even AFTER a year, again with shipping both ways covered. Customer service, downhill in many respects but not when it comes to returns/exchanges I think, in fact as good as I've seen..................... This foolishness will cost them but anyone who ends up getting something even cheaper than what they paid for it a few weeks ago will most likely be happy, despite a bit of effort.

12. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    I think this is largely because the consumer has forced their hand. In this case someone used a promo (good chance they didn't even qualify for) and the order was internally "processed" differently. Such as the promo (cost) was covered and they have no way of "shifting" the (internal) transaction from one type to another. Sure they could spend x time coming up with a process which likely would cost much more than a few returns. If the consumer finds the price difference worth addressing they can simply swap devices. Which would leave them "better off" than their original purchase... hence happier.

A perfect example of such is video cards. A major retailer stopped taking returns during the mining boom. Customers would purchase every high-end card they had and return them 30 days later for a full refund. Only to repurchase them while the craze was active and return them for good once it crashed.

Companies are forced to reflect the actions of their customers. So in most cases you don't have an issue with the company rather society. Sure at times I'm not "happy" with this or that policy/company action however I never let that influence whether I do business with them (to a large degree). It's just one aspect and I decide what's best for me...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    jrtroo and CloudAtlas like this.
  13. mschnebly

mschnebly Active Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I'm the opposite. If I'm not happy with a company's actions and I can go to another just as suitable for my use and price, I'll go elsewhere. The company that treats me best gets my business.

spaceleeb likes this.
  14. spaceleeb

spaceleeb New Member

May 29, 2010
    Here's the real kicker. They canceled my service on my current / expensive TiVo Bolt IMMEDIATELY - can't record, do anything. I called and asked to have it turned back on and was told they cannot do so as cancellation is already in process.

TiVo / Rovi is truly a terrible company. It's always telling when they do their best to obscure executive's email addresses, direct contact information, etc. Even Jeff Bezos doesn't do that...

15. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    The key being just as suitable... hence you are doing what's best for you.

Not what you stated above... :) Only if their product is as good or better than that nasty company's. Now there are companies (like Monster) that I won't purchase from regardless if they are the best (for me). I'll simply do without.

16. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    They told you to send the receiver back (postage paid both ways)
    Re-order to get the "real good deal" price....
    You did not like that offer...... so it got escalated ..... In which I bet you told them to turn it off (of that you are returning it), AND THEY DID...... and now you are mad about that.

BTW, I do get it..... and I do agree it is a stupid way for Tivo to handle it.... But that is the way it is set up....... at least Tivo is willing to work with the customer (30 day total satisfaction guarantee).

I have had issues with Pricing of their Deals and they have always come through as long as I played by their rules.

jrtroo and Mikeguy like this.
  17. spaceleeb

spaceleeb New Member

May 29, 2010
    I told them "$300 is $300... Sure, let's RMA this and I'll send it back."

They never said "The cancellation is immediate and no TiVo Minis in your house will work as a result since we killed the service"... Guess it has been a long time since I upgraded/swapped out boxes... Not having active service didn't immediately kill Live TV streaming from mini's, give nag messages on the main box and the like.

It's all about how their offshore customer service handles this - not explaining what issuing an RMA did (otherwise, I would have bought the new one, set it up and then told them to RMA this one), etc. And then to say today they can't undo the cancellation... How hard is clicking the "undo" button...

Companies are free to do as they wish... but between this and notorious TiVo bugs that never seem to get zapped (yeah that online transfer recordings thing where they stop playing at the 10 minute mark, that's lovely), they are pushing even their most loyal (10+ years) of customers away. Might just be the kick I need to drop cable and TiVo fully and just stream or use Amazon's OTA setup. That kind of nudge seemingly won't help TiVo's bottom line...

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. mschnebly

mschnebly Active Member

Feb 21, 2011
    It was implied. No, I'm not an English major.

19. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    Just reading your numerous posts more than explains why TiVO obscures email addresses and direct contact info. It’s obvious if they didn’t you’d probably harass everyone at TiVO via email and phone.

Maybe take a deep breathe and think about what caused all this? TiVO (the terrible company) had a sale that would save YOU $300 dollars! If TiVO doesn’t have this sale you’d still be happy with your current setup.

Having to RMA your current box and having service cancelled is annoying but it is what it is and you’re still up $300! You won. Honestly, I wish every company caused me such annoyances and then gave me back $300!

Now enjoy the holidays.

UCLABB, jrtroo, Tony_T and 2 others like this.
  20. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I agree, even a bit more. Say there are two companies. One's product is not QUITE as good as the others. But they have US based customer service, no voice recognition for call ins (ie you can get to a live person without spending a half hour trying to make a machine understand your issue) and straight forward pricing, do not quote a price then you see 20% more added on in "fees" when you get your bill. I will certainly go with the company whose product is close but not quite as good as the others. Can be difficult with near monopoly type companies like Comcast or companies where there is nothing really close to as good, like Tivo (at least for me, nothing could replace my Tivos running on Gen 3, at least for now)

mschnebly likes this.