French TiVo interface - any time soon?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Blaq, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Blaq

Blaq New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON...

Advertisements

TiVoPony or others: TiVo demonstrated its new multi-language interface at CES. It's summer, and there is still no French interface in sight. My father's gifted TiVo has been languishing for months, and Murphy's law means that, should I spend days translating the TiVo manual in French for him, that's when TiVo will offer additional interface languages as an update. ;)

Can anyone give us a sense of when we might see TiVo's interface in French?

2. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    The day its launched in France.

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Since TiVo is now officially sold in Canada, I thought Canadian law mandated that owners manuals, on screen menus, etc. be available in both English and French?

4. Davydave

Davydave New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    The French issue for Canada was supposed to be dealt with by Spring of 2008, but they are obviously late.

5. nachonaco

nachonaco AT&T Phone Jockey

Jul 8, 2003
    Evansville,...

Advertisements

I could maybe help with the translations. I need to put my French to practical use.

6. reidjr

reidjr New Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Since tivo is not beeing sold in quebec by law it does not have to be in english and french.

7. Blaq

Blaq New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON...
    TiVo is sold in Québec, both online and in brick & mortar stores. I just checked the FutureShop Web site, and TiVo is in stock at their Marché Central Montréal store.

By law, TiVo's packaging and instruction booklets need to be bilingual. The Office québécois de la langue française's "Selling products in Québec?" document states that "When a French version [of software] does not exist anywhere, the English version can be offered as long as it is in compliance with the requirements in labelling, commercial documentation and commercial signs."

This means that TiVo can be sold in Québec, even if its interface if unilingual, since no TiVo anywhere currently offers a French interface. The packaging and documentation, however, must be offered in French.