Frell me! FARSCAPE is back!! ...kind of...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by spikedavis, Jul 15, 2007.

1. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

Advertisements

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/07/ifarscapei_igalacticai_return_in.shtml

Farscape, Galactica return in short form

Sunday - July 15, 2007 | by Darren Sumner

We temporarily interrupt this Stargate news coverage for some frelling (and frakking) big news from SCI FI Channel. The network has just announced its new development slate for the coming year, which includes an 8-week series of "mini-sodes" leading up to Battlestar Galactica: Razor and ... drumroll ... the return of Farscape.

Fans will return to the Farscape universe in an original Web series, set to be released on SCIFI.com. The 10-part series is executive produced by Brian Henson and Robert Halmi, Jr., and produced by The Jim Henson Company in association with RHI Entertainment. "The series will revive and expand the beloved Farscape universe," according to the network.

No word yet on just which actors or characters will be involved in the project, or just when it will arrive
    . After being unceremoniously cancelled after four seasons, the critically-acclaimed Farscape (starring Stargate SG-1's Ben Browder and Claudia Black) returned in 2004 for the 4-hour miniseries Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars.

The show is one of several new original programs in development for the Web site, which boasts itself to be the world's largest sci-fi entertainment Web site with more than 3 million unique visitors each month.

As fans of Battlestar Galatica get ready for the November 24 premiere of the telemovie "Razor" -- which will delve into the backstory of the Battlestar Pegasus, her crew, and Admiral Cain (Michelle Forbes) -- the network has another surprise. The movie will be preceded by an 8-week series of "mini-sodes."

Filmed in conjunction with "Razor," the two- to three-minute installments will air weekly in primetime on SCI FI Channel, and then be available online at SCIFI.com. The promotional shorts will premiere in October.

Written by Michael Taylor and directed by Wayne Rose and Felix Alcala, "these shorts will provide a sneak peek into the original Cylon War, when a young pilot named William Adama (Nico Cortez) discovers a dangerous Cylon weapon that will come back to haunt him and his crew 40 years later," SCI FI revealed. They will also be included in the DVD release of "Razor."

For more on Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, and the science fiction world beyond Stargate, visit the new site from the creator of GateWorld: SciFi Stream!

2. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Webisodes? Put the frelling episodes on TV!

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow. I never thought this would happen. I kind of figured that The Peacekeeper Wars kind of served like "Serenity" did for "Firefly" - an attempt to bring the series back in a way, but in the end, just an epilogue to the series.

Granted, it's web only, and as such I can't see too many major characters being carried over (actors cost money), but it's something.

4. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    We may not see Aeryn and Cricchton, because Claudia Black and Ben Browder may not be available, but I'm sure Rygel will be there. ;)

It also depends on the timing. Is this after Peacekeeper Wars or before? Based on the timeline, we can potentially rule out a few other characters returning.

5. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

Advertisements

Keep in mind they say this is to "revive" the Farscape universe....perhaps they will start a new show based on the potential success of this?

6. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    The way the show rotated crew members on Moya, all you need is Rygel or someone to have continuity.

7. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Maybe it'll focus on Dargo Crichton?

8. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002

Haha.

Well of course I am in, but this seems a strange way to bring back Farscape.

9. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    I hate web series, but I'll certainly watch them.

10. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    I want a Rygel talkshow.

So long as he's there, I'm in.

11. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sweet! :up:

12. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I am not sure what to think of this myself. I mean, I loved Farscape, but it's gone. And the main names that made it good are probably not going to be in this I assume.

I guess we will see.

Whcih is worse...
    1) Bringing back a fave show only to have it bomb
    2) Not getting your fave show back at all.

13. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    On the other hand, Brian Henson is still showrunner, so that gives me some confidence that it won't be a total loss. No one loves the Farscape universe as much as Brian Henson does. (I mean, he's pretty much the reason The Peacekeeper Wars got made... it was made without even having a deal in hand from anyone to actually show it. He just wanted to complete the story.)

14. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I will definitely follow this and watch. But I am not holding my breath nor am I expecting greatness.

I hope to be pleasantly suprized.

15. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    No kidding. I don't watch TV on my computer.

I wonder if David Kemper is involved. Without him and Browder I'm not really sure how "farscape" this can be.

16. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    AFAIAC, no John C = Not Farscape.

He IS Farscape. And when he went to SG1, it became Farscapegate.

17. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have a smallish lap top. (hmm all laptops are smallish) Maybe this would encourage me to get some sort of wireless connection to my TV.

18. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    I have to agree. Everyone I got into Farscape loved it because John made everything real. There were freaking muppets on that show, but he sold it and made you love the show.

19. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Rygel: "Muppet?! Muppet?! I am Dominar Rygel XVI of the Hynerian Empire, sovereign of more than 600 billion loyal subjects. How dare you call me a muppet!"

20. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    It was the connection that he and Claudia had that made it so good. There are lots of other shows that have been tried to be revived and not worked because the main elements (stars) were not there.