Freezing up

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Static, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Static

Static Member

Apr 13, 2006
    My Premier keeps locking up. its driving me nuts! I finally get the whole TA issue fixed (I think! I am on my THIRD TA!!! ) and now this?

3 days in a row now.. my wife goes to watch a recorded show in the am.. and she hits the tivo button.. and the tivo central show, then the green wait circle appears and thats it. it just sits there. Yesterday I left it and it finally came back after 4 hours. but today (and day before) I had to do a hard reboot.

I am absolutely sick of all the crap! $200 for a tivo + a years subscription ... its not worth the problems! I had a tivo years ago and its just not the same. it has gotten worse. I am ready to throw the thing out the door and go back to the crappy cable box. At least it worked all the time.

Anyone else having this issue???? WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET AN UPDATE TO FIX ALL THIS!

We get a pandora update but still have crappy menu speed and such? Are you kidding? FIX IT BEFORE U GIVE NEW FEATURES!

2. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Change it over to the SDUI. The problem will go away. Maybe in a year they have the HDUI fixed.

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    We're getting Hulu+, too! Yay.

Face facts that the HD UI is broken and will remain an incomplete, buggy mess until at least December 2011. Change your TiVo to the SD UI and forget the HD UI exists for a year and a half. You'll be much happier without TiVo's broken promises and atrocious record finishing the HD UI slapping you in the face every time you turn on your TV (not to mention making you miss parts of shows you want due to spontaneous reboots and freezes).

4. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    As I sit here and write this I am rebooting two Premiere XL that locked up 8 minutes in to prime time. Actually I don't know how long the 2nd was locked up I just checked it out of habit when the 1st one locked up. I'm sure I'll catch the last 2 minutes of what would have been the best episode of the Big Bang Theory ever. Personally I would love to smash the things against the wall. . . but that would be costly. Like everyone says you either have to accept it or move on. I'm past the point of moving on but after 10 years and a previously very happy Tivo customer these are the last 2 I will have ever bought. If you're past the point of no return you can take a little comfort in that too.

5. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Thumbsdown, Thumbsup, Play, Play will reset the UI without having to reboot if you get the green circle of death .

Z

6. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The two aren't necessarily related. It could be an entirely different set of developers (or even a subcontractor, third party, or the pandora folks themselves) that wrote the pandora and hulu applets.

Nevertheless, I agree there's something really wrong with whatever team is supposed to be working on HDUI issues. From the reports here, it almost feels like nobody is working on it at all.

Oh, and I finally broke down and ordered one of these damn things today. My plan is to run it in SD mode until I hear about some progress on HDUI. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a mistake. $269 + $200 PLS was too good an offer to turn down (though I'll feel foolish when a better offer appears tomorrow morning).

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 12
    wkranzjr

wkranzjr New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    I bought a Premiere last week and just encountered this problem. Has there been any progress made with this issue?

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 12
    DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    You did notice you posted on a thread with a last post back in September 2010?

9. Jun 8, 2011 #9 of 12
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    LOL. Ya know what though, we need two different threads. One dedicated to SD and one HDUI lockups preferable with a poll in each thread concerning how often they get the lockup (even if never), TA/mcard, video provider, have they called support, etc. All other threads should be merged/locked.

10. jmaditto

jmaditto New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    I found setting the TiVo resolution to fixed (from auto) greatly reduced my freezes in addtion to using SD UI. Much better.

Good luck

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    We already have that (but without a poll):

HDUI ignores remote: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=470454

SDUI ignores remote: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=456559

I even asked if the guy who created the "Stops Responding to Remote Commands" thread could change the subject to include "SDUI". He tried, but apparently there is simply no way a normal user can do that with this forum software.

We certainly don't need yet more threads about the same thing!

12. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    How about this one? It sorta stops responding but its not locking up. It just doesn't do anything. This has been happening now on 2 units since the "update."

Here is a YouTube for it. Has a few swear words so for those that don't want to hear that please don't watch or put it on mute:

http://youtu.be/3WCWFIgjo8k