Freezing TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dcrowell77, Jul 29, 2011.

1. dcrowell77

dcrowell77 Member

Dec 27, 2007
    My Series 2 has been freezing up on occasion lately while watching live tv which I have attributed to a hard drive going bad. However my TiVoHD has started having issues lately as well. Last night it got stuck several times while watching a buffered recording. I was eventually able to get past the stick by hitting the TiVo button and waiting several minutes for it to respond. Eventually the recording just stopped buffering up for no apparent reason. I rebooted the box and the same sticking button occurs on the playback.

So, my question is - Could these freezes/stutters be caused by a bad cable signal? Any other ideas besides faulty drives?

Thanks!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Are you using CableCARD(s) in your THD? If so you are actually tuning different cable signals in your two TiVos (digital and analog). This makes it less likely (but not impossible) that the signals are the problem.

If either device is 2 or more years old, HDD failure is not unlikely.

3. dcrowell77

dcrowell77 Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I am using a multistream CableCARD in the TiVoHD. Another data point, I discovered that the other program that was recorded at the same time on the TiVoHD also froze at the exact same time (55 minutes).

One more piece of information that may or may not be relevant. I have been having issues pulling videos from the TiVoHD down to my computer. I keep ending up with partial mpgs. In at least 1 case I tracked down that my mpg stopped at the same point that there was a stutter/skip in the video when watched on the TiVo.

4. Gregavi

Gregavi Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Santa...
    As I stated on another thread:

When a TiVo starts to work intermittently, time to start backing everything up and create a disc image because there's a very good chance the drive(s) is about to die. I know this from experience. Twice it happen to me. One time I did create a disc image, once I did not. Now I wish I had on both occasions.

Cheers