Freezing and V58 errors

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Jets, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Aug 1, 2020 #1 of 67
    Jets

Jets Member

Sep 28, 2010

Advertisements

Reposted from Roamio sub forum

[Hi within the past two weeks, I have been getting intermittent freezing followed by a v58 error (channel not authorized). I called the cable company (Optimum) and they send a new signal to the Cable card, I replaced the cable card, but the problem still happens. It does not happening as much on the Roamio Pro Plus that I have, but on the mini it happens a lot. The cable company said that the TiVo is the issue. Does anyone else have any ideas?]
    I am having the same issue on a Tivo Bolt, as well as my Roamio and Mini. I also have had no luck after numerous attempts by Optimum to fix it. Hopefully, someone at Tivo will see this chime in.

2. Aug 1, 2020 #2 of 67
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Are you sure your cable card is paired correctly to your device?

3. Aug 2, 2020 #3 of 67
    Jets

Jets Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Yes. The Bolt was installed in 2018, the Roamio since 2014.

4. Aug 2, 2020 #4 of 67
    RickNY

RickNY Active Member

Sep 16, 2007
    This is a problem that started impacting many Tivo customers on Optimum.. I have a Roamio Plus and also started observing this behavior a couple of weeks ago. I have an NDS CableCard, and these cards are usually not tested by Tivo as thoroughly as the Cisco/SA or Motorola cards.

What basically happens is at frequent random intervals while already tuned to a channel, the Tivo freezes, displays a V58 error in the middle of the screen for 2-3 seconds and then recovers. The problem occurs when already tuned to a channel - not on the initial tune.

5. Aug 2, 2020 #5 of 67
    Ronniemus

Ronniemus New Member

Aug 2, 2020

Advertisements

I purchased a Tivo Bolt over a month ago and I am still having problems with it since it's installation. I have been getting frequent freezing followed by a v58 error (channel not authorized) and Optimum hasn't been able to correct it. Another issue is going to Netflix or Amazon Prime, the screen goes black or it fails to connect. This also happens frequently and only can be corrected by rebooting my Tivo Bolt. This is one of the reason I purchased the Tivo, to easily switch from TV to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Now a month later, I might have to get rid of Tivo for some other options.

6. Aug 2, 2020 #6 of 67
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I might as well post my observations. Every week or so I receive a V58 error. Sometimes it is after a blank screen. Sometimes it is after a frozen screen. It also is happening on other channels. I can channel up and it will also be frozen. The outage is short, under a second. However it takes the TiVo (I have a basic Roamio) about 5 seconds to recover enough to display the error. Each tuner has a counter in Diagnostics: Time since Tune Start. If it quickly check it, I can see that the tuner has recovered before it displays the error. I have only seen the error on basic cable. I never see it on local or network broadcast channels. I record late night on the three big networks and Comedy Central. I have never see it on any recording. Ever. A nearby friend had the same issue, but more frequently. His was fixed by replacing his tap. My tap is 2.5 years old, and usually has a lifespan of 1 year. The signal on some of my channels is dropping below 90. I usually watch MSNBC, CNN and The Weather Channel. If/when it gets worse I will call my cable company, SECV, and they will roll a truck and replace my drop. My cable modem is also having more errors. All my stuff gets a reset on the last day of the month. I am running TE3 and TE4. This has been my feedback.

7. Aug 3, 2020 #7 of 67
    bigL

bigL New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    It would be strange that everyone tap went bad at almost the same time? but it is getting worst imo.

8. Aug 3, 2020 #8 of 67
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I refrained from posting a conclusion. But I think there are two possibilities. One is a satellite problem. The other is an amplifier problem at my headend. I also think that a solution is going to be hard to find since TE3 software is quite old and the problem varies in frequency for many.

9. nicky612000

nicky612000 New Member

May 16, 2008
    New York
    Optimum customer with a Roamio seeing the same problem over the past 3-4 weeks. Please let me know if anyone finds a resolution.

johncody likes this.
  10. RickNY

RickNY Active Member

Sep 16, 2007
    There are numerous posts from customers here, in the Roamio, and the Edge forums from Optimum customers all experiencing the same issue. Additionally, there is 3 page thread on dslreports.. There were also numerous customer responses to the same issue on the TiVo.Innovate group on FB all with the same issue.

I can say the issue happens with both TE4 and TE3. I’m almost 100% certain it is an Optimum issue, as TE3 hasn’t been updated in almost a year and the problem happens there as well.

Getting anyone on the phone from Optimum is next to impossible. I filed an FCC complaint the other day and it was served to Altice yesterday. That’s pretty much the only way the problem will be recognized as widespread with Optimum management, and just maybe it will get fixed.

I suggest anyone experiencing this do the same and file an FCC complaint

I’m also curious if everyone sees the same behavior when it happens - the breakup comes in 2 bursts, 30 seconds apart

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    johncody likes this.
  11. old_dood

old_dood New Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Just filed FCC complaint.

12. RickNY

RickNY Active Member

Sep 16, 2007
  13. dlacoff

dlacoff New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I have a Tivo Bolt and 3 minis. I too am getting the V58 error on Optimum. I have gone and tried to troubleshoot all of my wiring and connections to no avail, and have also swapped out the cablecard , again no resolution. Is the FCC complaint really the only way to get some satisfaction?

14. RickNY

RickNY Active Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Well, if support can't do anything to help you - and they threaten you with an $80 service charge to send a technician out to diagnose if they find the signal to your home is good -- then, the remaining options are limited. So far, everyone that has reached the company has reported the same thing - they will tell you that the problem is with your equipment (its not) -- its a problem at the headend that only they can fix.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  15. J-Tivo

J-Tivo Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Same issue with Roamio and Optimum.net

16. doncarl

doncarl New Member

Sep 5, 2020
    i am having the same issue, i have 2 premieres , 1 bolt, 2 mini.
    optimum, long island
    tivo says it is cable.
    cable says it's tivo
    I went to optimum and got a cable box so I could view the same show on 2 tv's at the same time. when the tivo tv froze for 15 secs, the cable box tv did not, and showed no distortion in the picture.
    but I had to tune the cable box to ch#180 ("own" channel) and I tuned the tivo to ch#760 (own channel). they are 2 different signal systems, so it shows that cable is getting a good signal but it is getting screwed up when it is applied to the cablecard system.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  17. J-Tivo

J-Tivo Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Yes, from when I've read in this forum and over at DSL reports, within a matter of days after filing an FCC complaint, a supervisor from optimum will contact you!

And if Optimum tries to blame Tivo, then tell them why is it also happening with HDHomeRun devices on their network? (see post at 2020-Aug-27 5:20 pm by RickNY - Freezes and V58 errors.. - OptimumOnline | DSLReports Forums (Page 5))

Then simply ask them, how can it possibly be a problem with BOTH Tivo and HDHomerun devices suddenly all at the same time?

It's a OPTIMUM problem!

To file an FCC complaint:
    FCC Complaints

18. RickNY

RickNY Active Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I’m here as well.. Tech was here yesterday to check signals in response to FCC complaint. Showed him the problem happening on the TiVo side by side with the HDHomerun on the iPad (the issues occur simultaneously on both) He checked signals at every point from house to each device, signal was perfect. He sent it up to outside plant.

19. artinnj

artinnj New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    When I first had the issue, I asked that my CableCARD be reprovisioned to see if that would solve the issue. I was told they were upgrading that software and that it would be a week before they could do that. I suspect that there is something related to the new software that is causing so many people to start experiencing this issue.

I just got a firmware update notice from HDHomeRun that calls this situation the "Long Island CableCARD Fix", explicitly naming Optimum/Altice. Even though SiliconDust uses "Fix" in the title, the release notes say they are simply catching the error and suppressing the message. Since multiple vendors (TiVo, SiliconDust, etc.) experienced the same issue and we don't hear of FiOS customers having the same issue, the only common link is Optimum and the NDS equipment.

Rule of thumb is if you have a CableCARD issue with Optimum, file an FCC complaint and a local regulator complaint (in my case, NJ Board of Public Utilities). They will escalate your call up to more qualified support people. It's sad that is the way you need to handle it, but this is Altice's game. They decided not to train their reps on the regular lines on how to handle CableCARDS.

20. RickNY

RickNY Active Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I've posted elsewhere on this - I have both HDHomeRun and Tivo.. I can confirm the firmware fix from Silicon Dust did resolve the issue on that device.
    This issue has popped up in the past with the NDS cards and V58 errors in 2015.. Back then Tivo did add some additional code to deal with the issue much like Silicon Dust did. Getting Tivo Engineering to dedicate resources to making their software work with some misconfigured cable system is another story.