Freeze/Reboot errors without TiVo MediaSmart App or TiVo Server?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sharp1, Jan 3, 2011.

If you have freeze/reboot issue, are you using MediaSmart Tivo Add-on dor TiVo Server

1. I don't have this issue.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. I have the issue and use HP MediaSmart TiVo Add-on

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I have the issue and use TiVo server not on the mediasmart server

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have the issue and use BOTH MediaSmart add-on and TiVo Server

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. I have the issue and use NEITHER MediaSmart add-on nor TiVo Server

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. sharp1

sharp1 Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Tampa
    My 2 month old XL recently started seeing the freeze/reboot issue that a lot of you are experiencing. (Note I am using the SD menus.)

For the first 10 weeks or so, it ran without any issues.

I forgot that I updated my MediaSmart server to 3.0, and added the TiVo Server add-on around the same time.

Are any of you experiencing the freeze/reboot issue NOT using the MediaSmart TiVo app?

If not, are you using a TiVo Server?

2. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I could tell you quite confidently, without this poll, that the freeze/pause issues that most people are experiencing have nothing to do with "MediaSmart" or "TiVo Server". But, I suppose the poll will prove it for me.

3. wwu123

wwu123 Member

May 14, 2008
    I think there are many different reboot issues, the specific one I had was the pause-play-pause-reboot that occurs during playback of recordings. Went away completely after disabling home network applications including my Mediasmart server.

4. wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Well I was just about to start a new thread about this and found this thread.

My issue started right after I upgraded my premiere to a new 2TB, around the sametime I replace my system drive on my Mediasmart EX490 from a 1.5 to a 2TB and added a second 2TB. Before this with the Tivo on it's stock drive and the EX490 running with Tivo expander add-on, I had no issue, but since I've upgraded, I started encountering the freeze, unfreeze, freeze again then reboot. It happened very frequently, and always while watching a recorded show. I was able to get it to stop when I unplug the network cable and then later was able to pinpoint the issue with my EX490. With it powered off, I have no more freeze / reboot issue.

Now I'm clueless why I didn't have this problem before but now I do. I did move back approx 1.5TB worth of tivo recordings back to the Mediasmart server after I had done a factory restore. Could that have something to do with it since it was directly transferred from Tivo?

5. daxem

daxem New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    NC
    I had constant reboots with both of my S4 TiVos. When I uninstalled the HP Media Smart application from my home server it all stopped.

6. msehnert

msehnert New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I had constant reboots on my Tivo with the Mediaserver app. I thought that the Tivo hard drive was bad. I was searching the forum for something else and noticed this issue being discussed. Four days ago I disconnected the HP Media server from my network and have not had one reboot on the Tivo. There is definitely an issue.