freeview

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by alek, Apr 28, 2011.

1. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Which freeview box should I get to use with tivo

Alek

2. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    Have a search in this forum - there are various threads about Freeview boxes. I suggest you look towards the *end* of the threads. ;)

3. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Yes there are many threads, but because of recent and upcoming changes I though it prudent to ask again.

Alek

4. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    The last few times this has been asked there have been precious few reliable boxes that are also still available either in shops or via ebay. Wharfedale 832 series boxes have been very relaible and stable for me and my family but aren't available to buy.

I don't know if the new EPG will also allow users to update the code lists - might be worth a look in the Tivoland forums?

5. May 1, 2011 #5 of 12
    lcsneil

lcsneil Shrubber

Jun 18, 2002
    In a shrubbery
    I'm in the same boat. Need a new Freeview box.

Argos have 3 in the sub £20 range. Anyone tried any of these and does the Tivo currently control any of them?

lcs

6. May 1, 2011 #6 of 12
    spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    I can recommend the old Sony VTX-D800U. Excellent boxes; small; fast; controllable by TiVo.

Their quality is indicated by the fact they are still £15-25 (inc postage) on fleece-u-bay. Just make sure you get a working remote (don't believe any seller who says you don't need a remote - you can't tune it or alter display settings without one!!)

7. May 1, 2011 #7 of 12
    alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Thanks, I think I will splash out on a skybox as well, my old one is pretty tired.

What would you recommend

Alek

8. May 1, 2011 #8 of 12
    digital_S

digital_S New Member

May 15, 2002
    Kent/Scotlan...
    Exactly what mine is - I've had mine from new and been left on 24/7 after all these years. (Except during 2 house moves and the random power cut in 5+ years).
    The tuning is pretty quick.
    I recommend it too! :)

9. May 2, 2011 #9 of 12
    spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    Alek,
    If you're looking for a Sky dodgybox then get the Pace box, or a secondhand Panasonic. Here's a good review with which I concur.

(Here's some pictures)

p.s. It's easy to install a Sky setup yourself but it may work out cheaper to get an independent Sky installer to do it - don't ring Sky, just have a chat with your local installer - you can then ask him for a Pace box rather than a "whatever BSkyB have too many of" box. ;) (Otherwise you have to buy a dish and lnb £30+, low loss cable £15, box £25-100, FTV viewing card £20 - an independent will do the lot plus install it for c.£100? :up: )

10. alek

alek New Member

May 22, 2008
    Thanks again.

Will tivo handle all the pace boxs

Alek

11. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    tivo thinks of all sky digiboxen as the same, the remote codes are identical.

if you can wait then i'd suggest you did, i'm sure there's going to be a few "anybody want a xxxxxx" posts around here in a few weeks (though my own post might be a little into the summer as major redecorating will be required when I delve behind the TV/AV rack).

12. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    I can second that - got one from eBay for my second TiVo. No problems so far.