Freeview PVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by wonderboy, Jan 19, 2009.

1. wonderboy

wonderboy New Member

May 27, 2003
    Angus,...

Advertisements

Are there any decent dual-tuner Freeview PVRs available? Friend is asking, but can't find a tivo on ebay with:-

a) Lifetime sub
    b) Upgraded Hard drive
    c) Cachecard + Memory

What else is out there? (NB: not Media Centre, too expensive, must be low cost!!)

2. cyril

cyril Active Member

Sep 5, 2001
    London UK
    Nothing as good as TiVo, but a hacked Topfield TF5800 is closest.

Generally people consider the Humax next.

More TiVos will end up on ebay as more people upgrade to Hi-def TVs and Hi-def DVRs.

You can build your own media centre for around £200 nowadays if you go for 2nd hand parts.

3. wonderboy

wonderboy New Member

May 27, 2003
    Angus,...
    Many thanks!

4. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    I moved from a TiVo to a Topfield TF5800 and with 'MyStuff', a free add-on you can set up control timers which basically allow you to record a whole series, set up a wish list etc.. There is nothing I used on the TiVo that I have missed with the Topfield - there are only advantages, like recording the actual data stream and two tuners. Having said that, if TiVo brought their PVR back to the UK I would snap it up!

5. asfafa

asfafa Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bridgwater, UK

Advertisements

I purchased a Humax 9150 three months ago, in an attempt to replace my TiVo eventually, and it is currently daisy chained into the entertainment system. However much I have tried, the functionality of the TiVo is so much better than the Humax, even though the 9150 has twin tuners.

The EPG and interface is nowhere near as good as the TiVo. TiVo season passes can be left and it will pick up new series of a programme, whereas the Series Link on the Humax needs to be deleted and re-input. Aarghh!

So now, the Humax is just a backup in case of any conflicts or missed portions of programmes. I did consider getting a Topfield but I couldn't justify the expense nor having to hack around with TAPs, etc. Getting my TiVo to the setup it is now (cachecard, TiVoWeb, etc.) was done over a number of years and not exactly fun!