freeview channels all over the place

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by threadkiller, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1 of 24
    threadkiller

threadkiller Dark side Nrth Devon

Dec 12, 2002
    since the last freeview update, the channels are all over the shop & I cant quite work out why.

for example E4, according to my STB EPG is on 14
    when I watch 14 it actually shows More 4 & according to my TiVo E4's now on 29
    29 according to my STB is film 4 and it shows film 4 on viewing

My pronto is programmed for E4 to be on 14 so it must have been right at some point.

Its not the only one, but its doing my head in :( :mad:

2. Sep 3, 2007 #2 of 24
    threadkiller

Dec 12, 2002
    a complete reset & search for channels on the box seems to have fixed it

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 24
    manolan

manolan New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    LONDON, UK
    yes, they moved it. not sure why they thought that would be a good idea or why people were more likely to want 4+1 over E4!

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 24
    OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    If you want E4 you'll find it - but in the meantime you are now aware of 4+1 as well.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 24
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Same reason that cynical supermarket marketing managers frequently rearrange the order of their shelves.

It has nothing at all to do with customer convenience but is all to do with maximising customer spend. :eek: :mad:

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 24
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Haha - I always look out for the stuff halfway along each aisle on the bottom shelf - that's where they try to 'hide' the low profit/best value items ;):D

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 24
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Can you give me any clues as to where they hide the Value lines on the www.tivoheaven.co.uk website. ;) :D

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 24
    blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It's all Value if you don't want to do it yourself :p

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 24
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I thought there was another seller out there offering even more Value, especially if you only need a smaller 160Gb hard drive size. ;)

10. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It depends how you measure value. IIRC the word "Maxtor" came up in a recent discussion of that topic.

Oh, and thanks for the plug though :)

11. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    They were Maxtor but now owned by Seagate and made to their more exacting Seagate specifications with an inherently more reliable only single platter design 160Gb hard drives as I recall it though. ;)

12. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Um, how do you know that?

Anyway, the newer Seagate 160gb drives (7200.9 on) are dreadful for aggravating the "helium sound" bug. I stopped using them for that reason.

13. threadkiller

Dec 12, 2002
    I can totally concur with that one :up: Ch4 +1 doesn't interest me TBH, well I never record anything on CH4 anyways, so 1 hour difference will make no odds :p

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    This was a claim made by the seller in either a previous post or a PM I received. I don't know where the Maxtor drives are made now and whether it is in the previous Maxtor factories to different specs or on expanded Seagate productions lines or quite what exactly. I would be surprised if this other Tivo upgrading firm that sells their wares on a well known auction site used a component with which customers did not have good experiences and even more surprised if that other firm refused to exchange the product free of charge for an alternative drive if that proved to be so.

blindlemon you are normally the most helpful and obliging of chaps but I do sometimes detect perhaps just the slightest note of sour grapes if anyone here makes any mention of the activities of some of your commercial rivals (especially those who sell their products on Ebay of which there have been a number) And after all I often post links to your website here but as things stand forum rules forbid me from posting a link to the main selling channel of one of your Tivo upgrading rivals.

In a healthy marketplace there is always competition and on the whole it usually works well for the consumer when that is so.

15. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    So why did you post that they are now made to Seagate's spec then?

Thanks, I try my best, sometimes in spite of extreme provocation :p:D

Not at all. I'm quite happy to recommend www.tivoland.com if I don't have stock of something :)

The point you raised was that somebody was selling 160gb drives on eBay cheaper - and therefore by your implication for better value than mine. I pointed out that these were, by the seller's own admission, Maxtor drives so we are not exactly comparing like for like. I'm sure anybody reading this thread is quite capable of making their own decision about whether a Maxtor drive at £x is as good or better value than a Samsung drive at £y and - unlike you, who seem to automatically assume that cheaper always equals better value - I have no problem crediting them with the intelligence to make that choice.

16. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    Any chance of keeping this thread on topic? It's starting to get quite bad again that you can't find out the latest on a topic without wading through lots of irrelevent stuff.

17. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    But these are new Maxtor 160Gb drives with a single platter. A design which Maxtor did not use prior to their takeover. The seller you mention uses Seagate for all of their more expensive and larger drives. But as with Tesco Value Baked Beans they merely figure that if a customer has a limited budget they may still appreciate being able to afford at least some baked beans rather than no baked beans at all. ;)

Coming back to the topic I don't think there is anything new to be said for the time being.

18. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    It seems that P is not listening

19. ndcdavis

ndcdavis New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    This is the problem I currently face. for example 29 is Film4 on STB but TiVO thinks it is E4.

Do you mean a complete reset and search for channels on TiVO or on the STB?

Thanks,
    Nick,.

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Complete reset and rescan on your Freeview box is required.

Your Tivo is right and your Freeview box is now out of date.