Freesat (Sky) setup with Virgin Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by itm, Jul 19, 2009.

1. itm

itm New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    London, UK

Advertisements

Ok here's a good old-fashioned "how do I set up these two boxes with Tivo" question. I'm about to ditch Sky in favour of Virgin cable TV. I'll be keeping the Sky box to use in freesat mode, mainly for the 4 main channels. I'm going for the basic V Box rather than the V+.

What I want to do is:
    - Have Tivo record the 4 main channels BBC1&2,ITV & C4 from the Sky box (because my aerial reception is terrible for both analogue and digital terrestrial broadcasts)
    - Have Tivo ONLY record subscription channels from the Virgin box. This is so that I can be recording BBC1 on Tivo while watching MTV on the Virgin box, for example.

Is there a way of doing this? If so, what's the best way of doing it?

2. mccg

mccg New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Fareham, Hants
    Not possible (as far as I know) with 1 TiVo.
    Each TiVo only allows for one source (+ analogue aerial in some cases)
    so you would need 2 TiVos to do this.

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    Can't you run the GS for Digital Satellite and Digital Terrestrial / Cable?

This is assuming the Virgin box has an RF modulator? Then Sky would be though Scart and Virgin though RF.

Dual Sky / Freeview set-ups use the Digital Satellite and Digital Terrestrial / Cable option in GS.

4. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    You can have both Digital Satellite and Digital Cable - but the cable has to go via the RF out of the cable box.

Still in most VM areas you can use a cable lead to supply the main analogue channels too.

5. Aug 1, 2009 #5 of 11
    itm

itm New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    London, UK

Advertisements

OK how about if I use my Netgem Freeview box as the terrestrial channel source (on an RF channel), and use the Virgin box for the pay channels. Which setup option would I use - would this be Aerial + Digital Cable/Terrestrial?
    Would I then be offered the option to configure the IR on BOTH STB's (i.e. the Netgem and the Virgin box)?

6. Aug 1, 2009 #6 of 11
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    I don't think you have the option of freeview + cable as a dual source IIRC (but its a while since I did a guided setup!)

[​IMG]

You'd have to do a sky/cable dual source (Digital Satellite and Digital Cable / Digital Terrestrial),
    then remap the channel numbers from sky to freeview.

7. Aug 1, 2009 #7 of 11
    itm

itm New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    London, UK
    OK I've now set up Digital Satellite and Digital Cable/Terrestrial, using the RF output from the Sky box (which is a much better picture). The setup went OK, but it's only showing radio channels from my Virgin cable list (no TV channels). All the TV channels listed are Sky ones.
    Is there any way I can use SKy on RF for channels 101-105, and Virgin for all the subscription TV channels (>105)?

8. Aug 2, 2009 #8 of 11
    itm

itm New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    London, UK
    ...Plan C now in operation...Virgin box on RF, Sky on SCART. The channel selection is OK now, but for some reason Tivo is completely ignoring my configuration of "Channels You Receive". I go in and select/de-select the required channels, but when I go back into this page ALL channels are always selected again (both Satellite and Cable). Is this because Tivo is re-ordering the programme guide? Do I need to wait until this is complete before selecting the channels that I receive?

9. Aug 2, 2009 #9 of 11
    OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    It may be because you have enabled 'Back Door' codes.

10. itm

itm New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    London, UK
    Hmmm...it doesn't ring any bells. Do you mean the 3-digit codes for skipping ads etc? Any idea how I can check/disable them?

11. itm

itm New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    London, UK
    I rebooted the Tivo and things improved slightly - i.e. it remembered SOME of the Sky channels that I'd de-selected. There's still a problem though, in that it keeps re-selecting the majority of the channels that I de-select.
    Has anyone else had this sort of problem with Channels You Receive in a dual source setup?