Free to good home

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Paulg, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Paulg

Paulg New Member

Aug 23, 2004

Advertisements

The time has come for me to say goodbye to my Tivo. I switched over to MythTV before the EPG finished so never got round to changing to AltEPG. Everything was working fine before I unplugged it for the last time.

Its an unmodified S1 box with (I think) the original disk. I did add EndPad to it but thats it.

Collection only (or you will have to arrange a courier pickup). I am based in Stockport.

Paul

2. Paulg

Paulg New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Now gone.

3. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Hi there :)
    Nether hard of Myth TV until now. I was looking at the website and I was not sure about something on there, what do you put the software on, a computer and use the computer as a PVR? Just curies as it sounds interesting.:D

4. Paulg

Paulg New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Yes, thats pretty much it. Its a Linux based PVR that can be split between front end and back end. The back end (in my setup) is a Mini-ITX based server that I already had for file serving. I already had a DVB decoder card so the cost for the recording part was zero.

The front end is a separate low power / silent PC (Acer Aspire 3700) that connects directly to the TV in the lounge. As its a split recording / playback system, you can have multiple frontends from a single back end. Nice things include:

MythWeb - schedule and manage recordings from a web browser

Multiple MUX recording - record multiple channels on a single MUX simultaneously using a single tuner - e.g. all the BBC channels are on a single MUX, so it can record as many BBC channels as you want using only a single tuner

Add as many tuners as will fit into the server for multiple MUX recordings. The decoder card I have has 2 tuners.

Recordings are stored as raw MPEG-2 format files with no encryption so its very easy to edit and watch recordings outside of Myth. Also, no compression or loss of quality.

As much disk space as you can fit into the server. Currently I have 3 TB of space for recordings.

Very flexible recording rules and options. I especially like the early start / late finish options.

You can run both the front and back ends from a single PC.

Whats bad:

Remote support is a bit of an issue. I use an embedded processor board with an IR receiver to handle it (and I can control it with a TiVo remote). The board than sends commands to the frontend PC via the network so I can hide the PC behind the TV and only have the IR receiver showing.

Setting it up in the first place is a bit of an issue. Getting Linux to work properly with the TV and have sound over the HDMI cable was a faff, but once setup it has been rock solid for months.

EPG support is limited to the OTA data, so no categories / actor support. Recordings by title are flexible though.

HTH

Paul

5. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England

Advertisements

spam reported.

6. drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    I haven't dabbled with MythTV for a while but last time I looked it offered the option of getting EPG data from an online .xml source, eg Radio Times which I understand is the source that AltEPG is using for TiVos.

7. Paulg

Paulg New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    I got the impression when I was setting my system up that the online sources were more of a legacy option that was used before Freeview and that OTA data was the way to go. I may well be wrong though - I am not an expert with Myth.

8. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    When I tried MythTV recently, the OTA Freeview data was all that was needed. Myth did a really good job of spotting duplicates etc.

9. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

May 29, 2004
    UK, Oxon
    another very happy mythtv user here...

I set up a 'test' system when Virgin originally announced they were cutting us off, and its been running pretty much perfectly ever since..
    I did it with some 'scrap' pc parts I had, an old p4, and added a DVB-S card..

I did run with epg for a bit in parallel, but the mythbox works so well that I stuck with it.
    I've now built a 'dedicated' mythtv box, using one of the cheap hp proliant server boxes, a twin tuner dvb-s2 card and a couple of 2Tb disks.

It replaced my tivo ( which I sold for £100 on ebay ! :) ), and a QNAP NAS, ( again sold for >£100), so its actually cost me very little.

The front end is a silent atom based box running mythtv frontend, or xbmc, depending on my mood..

It'll never be a tivo, but it works better than any of the 'commercial' PVRs, has the WAF, and has some 'better' features than tivo, does HD a treat, and can be further expanded when I feel like it.

Setting up wasnt really that hard, there are some good guides out there, especially this one...

I'd recommend anyone to have a go if you have an old pc lying around..

I get my guide data OTA, keep meaning to try the radio times feed, but OTA is as good as the comemrcial boxes get, so its ok for me for now.

10. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    The only problem I found was the scrap PC I used was a bit too old and flaky and I kept getting lost programmes where MythTV had 'lost' the video buffer. I also found a Windows based Myth TV front end player so you can just watch TV on your PC in a window.