Free TiVo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mike Lang, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
  2. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Thats great and all....but with the dual tuners out, who the heck is still buying these single tuner units? Also with the all digital switch looming in 2009, I'd be hesitant to buy either a single tuner or dual tuner S2 right now.

3. jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...
    No thanks. I dont want to pay two services for two single tuner TiVos while there's a single service for DT TiVo.

4. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I bet some people who have never owned a tivo box would be fine with a single tuner as a starter box.

5. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Howso? I don't see how the 2009 change affects the user unless they are OTA only.

And there are some people who cannot take advantage of the second tuner anyway (all digital cable/satellite, etc).

I wonder if these single-tuner units still have the ability to tune NTSC, or is it disabled now like it is in the S2DTs? If not disabled then that is also one potential advantage to these units (though only through the cut-off)

6. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    If you have a few S2's on a month-to-month now on MSD

could you get one of these for free, get a 3 year msd contract

cancel the contract on the month-to-month s2 you already have

move the contract from the free s2 to your current s2 and essentially get a free s2 80 hour for nothing but extending the contract?

NO idea why you would do this though :D

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well there have been many deals on single tuner Series 2 TiVos over the last few years where they have been free. Both of the onces I own were free after rebates including delivery.

That said I paid $71 for a new one off ebay a few weeks back just to have around in case something happens to mine. I am like that - also have spare drives all setup for all my DVRs including the dish 510.

Thanks,

8. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If the cablecos go all-digital a single tuner model will be as useful as a S2DT anyway, since the DT models can only control one cable box.

9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Well, as said above, the cable companies could choose to convert to all digital and not offer the analog signal along the cable line. For someone like myself who just pays for the basic service from Comcast for $10/mo, I would be bummed.

But that didn't stop me from getting a DT not long ago and enjoying now while I can until I have to worry about whatever happens. Thankfully, the HD came out at $299. By Feb 2009, I bet that price is lower.

10. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The quote I was responding to was:

"Thats great and all....but with the dual tuners out, who the heck is still buying these single tuner units? Also with the all digital switch looming in 2009, I'd be hesitant to buy either a single tuner or dual tuner S2 right now."

Sure, you'd be bummed, but unlike your DT, the only difference a single tuner user would see should that happen is the need to use an STB (assuming they aren't already). If your Comcast goes all digital, not only would you need an STB, but you'd lose the use of one of your tuners.

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It doesn't. Some people just can't give up the notion that "everything will be digital and analog only boxes will not work anymore"

My understanding is, by now, all analog tuner only boxes leaving Tivo's fulfillment warehouse are of the sort that cannot tune OTA with the built in tuner. These single tuners are essentially 540s reprogrammed with a 542 TSN.

12. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    It's not really free.

You have to pay the monthly fee just to use it.

13. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Woot! has the 80 Hr S2 for $129 before rebate today. Not even a refurb (rox0rz!).

14. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Yes, as an entry level First Tyme purchase of a Tivo, this would be a good deal for those strapped 4 cash

15. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    This does go to show, though, that my older Humax single-tuner box is indeed a paperweight. I'm glad I can make use of the remote control -- that's worth more than the TiVo itself! :)

16. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I only see Phil, Pio, Caster and Vito. Doesn't the Humax even have a name?

17. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    If they lived in a bubble? Cable has been pushing Dual Tuners for years, so the more savvy techie consumers will probably buy TiVo DT or HD, and the general consumer will take the path of least resistance through their cable provider with NO CONTRACT!

18. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Huey. He was dropped from my signature when we disconnected him.

19. GeorgeHReme

GeorgeHReme Level 2 Tivo Fairy

Feb 25, 2007
    Please forgive me for this naive question, but...can someone spell out for me what exactly is at stake with the 2009 discontinuation of analog? More specifically, as a single-tuner series 2 DVR owner, why does this affect me at all? I'm not getting my channels OTA...so...what else is really affected? I'm sure this has been answered ad nauseum, so sorry about that.

If you like indulging earnest (but less inclined to thoroughly combing the forums folks) fools like me, here's another question:

A dual-tuner S2 TiVo can only record to analog channels at once, or one digital and one analog--according to Amazon.com. What does that mean? I am dimly jumping to the conclusion that somehow the "basic" cable coming into my house is analog...then it goes through the box and is digital? Does that make sense? How does the Series 2 TiVo DVR record two channels at once, anyway? And why did the guy at Bob's Discount Stereo tell me that my cable company's talk of "digital" was just a gimmick anyway, and that oftentimes it was worse service?

For anyone who cares to indulge me, thanks!

-George

20. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Analog is 1-99. Digital is 100 and above.

Series 1 and 2 record one channel and you can watch either a recorded show or watch an analog channel. When you watch a live channel, there is no buffer, so you cannot pause that channel.

A Series 2 Dual Tuner can record or buffer two channels at the same time -- 2 analog or 1 analog and 1 digital, never 2 digital. This is done by hooking up two lines -- one to the digital cable box, and the other to the TiVo.

A cable DVR can record and buffer 2 digital channels at the same time in addition to what TiVo does. It doesn't have the depth or breadth of search, wishlists, seasons passes etc. that we know and love in TiVo.

As for the complexity of analog versus digital signals (and the magical cable boxes ;) ) and high definition -- someone else will need to explain this.

Hope this helps.