Free HD/DVR Offer

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by chscott, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1 of 41
    chscott

chscott New Member

May 20, 2006

Advertisements

I just logged into my online DirecTV account and noticed this message below.

"Happy anniversary (10) and thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer!
    Please accept our free anniversary gift of a HD/DVR Receiver as a token of our appreciation. To schedule your installation, simply call 1-800-531-5000 - it's just our way of saying thanks. Be sure to go to directv.com/thanks and update your email address for future anniversary gifts."

On the surface it seems to be a good offer, but I don't know if I will need any new wiring or SAT equipment. I have been hanging onto my SD TiVo based DVRs anticipating the release of the new HD/DTV/TiVo unit. I do have 2 active TiVo DVRs, so I could always move this one to the secondary TV when the new unit is released.

Anyone ever take advantage of an offer like this?

2. Apr 4, 2009 #2 of 41
    WaldorfSalad

WaldorfSalad New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    As my 10 year anniversary gift they gave me 3 months of Starz for free. This coincided with me cancelling Showtime because of the loss of the MPEG2 feed (I still use HR10-250).
    (Hopefully there is no fine print that says they also socked me with a 2 year commitment)

3. Apr 4, 2009 #3 of 41
    John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    >don't know if I will need any new wiring or SAT equipment

Since the HD/DVR they now offer is not Tivo based, you might ask in the other forum to get information about the requirements

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

4. Apr 4, 2009 #4 of 41
    cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    You won't need new wiring. However, you will need a new dish and multiswitch -- which they should provide free as well. (where "free" is almost always "2 year contract") If you aren't an HD subscriber already, that'll be an extra $9/month.

5. sk33t3r

sk33t3r New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS

Advertisements

This is all I got as well. BFD

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I'll guarantee there is a commitment with the "free' DVR, even if they tell there isn't.

7. sk33t3r

sk33t3r New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS
    The DTV guy stated there was no commitment when I called yesterday to upgrade/downgrade my hr10-250 to a hr21, but i got an email with the following link

Service Agreement
    You're set to receive the best in TV entertainment for the period of time stated in your agreement. Your service agreement is 12
    months for standard receivers or 24 months for DVR, HD and HD DVR Receivers.

8. Aug 5, 2009 #8 of 41
    gorman8844

gorman8844 New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    KANSAS
    WOW!

Happy anniversary and thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer!

Please accept our free anniversary gift of a $5 Discount for 10 months as a token of our appreciation. There are no charges or strings attached - it's just our way of saying thanks. Be sure to go to directv.com/thanks and update your email address for future anniversary gift

this is such a great gift!

9. Aug 5, 2009 #9 of 41
    dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    I got Showtime for a year.

Anyway, I just called yesterday to upgrade my HR10. They've been calling and sending e-mails for some time. The roofers are tearing off my dish next week, finally prompting me to act.

New HD DVR, new dish, installation, plus an AM21. I prepared a checklist for the call and ran through it twice with the CSR, but I doubt what she said. Among the items:

No commitment: Probably true, although I have to watch my account.

I can keep my HR10: Others have said the tech wants to take them, but mine has a lot of unwatched programming.

No increase in monthly programming costs: Highly doubtful. My current plan is SD-only (all HD is OTA). I doubt they'll let me keep that with an HD DVR activation.

Need tech willing to climb on steep 2-story roof: last service call required three tech to complete. First two techs wouldn't do it. "Insurance reasons", etc.

10. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    I got a free HR22 and install of the extra 2 lines. Came with 2 year commitment, but I'm not planning to quit DirecTV any time soon.

11. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Tri-Cities
    Dang...I'd love a free HD DVR. All I got for 7 years of being a "loyal" customer was 3 months of Showtime. Of course, I wasn't notified of this until the first month was almost complete.

I've tried calling and they'll give me a free HD DVR for $199.99 plus shipping.

12. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    That's what I got.

I'm sure the gift is based upon your level of service.

I don't get any premiums nor do I pay for HD.

I use OTA for hi-def on my only newer set.

I would imagine that those who got more pay more.

Seems right to me.

13. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Unless you're getting an amazing $1.00 per month discount, that should be $10.

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    How much are they charging for the HR20's now

seems so freaking crazy to have to pay $200 just for the privilege of leasing the damn thing! If it was a deposit that's one thing

15. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I guess you could pay $400 to own it. Need to get from DirecTV themselves. Your choice I guess but it's a lot cheaper to just lease it. Plus if it breaks they replace it. Your owned breaks you replace it (or have the protection plan).

Choice is yours.

16. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I have one already, but if it breaks they replace it because I have the $5/month protection plan :D

17. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002

I've read several places where they DON'T replace it if it breaks. That its just like leasing a car, once the initial warranty runs out, its on you.

18. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Totally incorrect. It's leased, they replace free if broke. Now you do have to pay for a tech visit if you need someone to swap it for you and every complaint I've seen about "paying" to replace a broken leased box ends up just being the tech visit. The replacement receiver is indeed replaced at no cost other then shipping ($20) or the tech visit. Of course the protection plan would cover both the tech visit and shipping.

19. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    so if i dropped the protection plan, I could still get a new one shipped to me if mine breaks? if no tech is needed?

20. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Sure, would cost you $20 shipping assuming you can't convince the CSR to credit you for it. Of course the hard part it seems is getting the CSR to ship it to you vs. insisting on a tech. Might take a couple calls.

YMMV of course.