Frasier Reboot?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by redrouteone, Jul 25, 2018.

1. redrouteone

redrouteone This Space for Lease TCF Club

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    Kelsey Grammer “exploring” potential Frasier reboot

Looks like Kelsey Grammer is in talks with CBS for a reboot of Frasier. According to the article it would be set in a new city.

If they do it, I wonder how many of the original people will come along.

2. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Very good show. Different city probably means all new supporting cast but it would suck not to have David Hyde Pierce.

wtherrell, tim1724 and sharkster like this.
  3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Big time! His characterization of Niles Crane was brilliant. Niles was my favorite character of the show.

wtherrell and tim1724 like this.
  4. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Absolutely. The back and forth between the 2 was great. Obviously John Mahoney is gone and I wouldn't care of Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin don't reprise. But give me some DHP please.

5. redrouteone

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I agree David Hyde Pierce was brilliant. If they do this, they really should find a way to work him in.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    That original cast had such chemistry--Jane Leeves being so integral to it.

wtherrell and tim1724 like this.
  7. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Pierce is more important than Grammer, IMO.

8. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I don't think "Eddie" is available ;)

lalouque likes this.
  9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    How about 1 of Eddie's kids? ;)

Tony_T likes this.
  10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Loved Frasier and it is easily on my top 10 TV shows. I'm in if true!

wtherrell likes this.
  11. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Coincidentally I just started rewatching Frasier (after rewatching Cheers).

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Mixed feelings. I *loved* Frasier, and occasionally still watch it late at night when I'm flipping. By far (IMHO), the best written & acted sitcom of the last 25 years.

But... it's very hard to catch lightning twice. There were so many amazing parts to the recipe, and that's why it's still the most Emmy winning sitcom ever. There was the family interplay between Frasier, Niles & their dad (RIP). The decade-long undercurrent of Niles towards Daphne. The work setting, with Frasier playing off Roz, and all the characters from the station. And all the guest stars, who played love interests, work interests and general cameos.

And Eddie. Eddie made the show.

I just don't know if that can be duplicated. As I understand, they are looking to carry it forward with Grammer as Frasier, but no other original cast. Not sure how I feel about that.

If it was me, I'd let it rest in peace, as the greatest sitcom ever. Or perhaps tied with Seinfeld, although they are really different types of series.

13. redrouteone

Jun 16, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    I agree. I decided to watch a few episodes tonight. Great series, even in the first season. I just don’t see how they can pull that off again.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was always a Frazier fan but I'm not on board with them reprising all these old sitcoms (I'm not a fan of them redoing old movies either). I think though with this happening with a few old shows now, I think that the power of the Baby Boomers as a viable market for advertisers is being realized. Especially for traditional networks (but we've seen a few of these on Netflix too). Are they just finding that boomers have a lot of disposable income and are NOT the same as previous generations, set in their ways, brand loyalty and all that.

With that said, I think a lot of this will depend on how well Murphy Brown does.

tim1724 likes this.
  15. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Nope - Moose (the dog that played Eddie) died in 2006.

This could work; it depends on how they play it. If they keep the same characters but use different actors, then the minute they appear, everyone watching will say, "That's not Niles; that's not Daphne, this isn't Frasier," and turn it off. (I have a feeling a test audience would have this reaction, and it wouldn't get past the pilot.) OTOH, if it's Frasier Crane and a completely new set of characters (with some of the originals making cameos), then it smacks of The New WKRP in Cincinnatl.

16. garyschmidt78

garyschmidt78 New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I would love to see this reprise. I've watched the entire series so many times on Netflix. There was a lot of humor that made fun of homosexuality (last episode of season 1 is just one example). I'm not sure that would fly today. Frasier and Niles were both characterized like Modern Family's Cam and Mitchell without any hesitation. Hopefully it happens. Maybe Netflix will pick it up for a 8-10 series like Episodes?

17. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    They already did that. Maybe one of Eddie's kid's kids...

18. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I liked trying to figure out the callers voice.
    They had over 100 celibrites over the years.

BrettStah and Mikeguy like this.
  19. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I'm ALMOST done rewatching it straight through for probably the 5th or 6th time :) So so so good

20. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    Mikeguy, bruab and lalouque like this.