FrameChannel: internet news, weather, sports, etc. on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DaveWhittle, Jun 15, 2010.

1. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN

Advertisements

Has anyone tried FrameChannel out on the Premiere yet?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Is this a feature already built into the Premieres or does it require something to be running on a PC on the network?

3. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Here's an excerpt from the sign-up email:

FrameChannel is a free service that enables you to gather and display your photos on your connected device. You can consolidate your photos from multiple locations and display them in automatically updates slideshow. Along with your photos and photos sent by your friends, you can subscribe to free custom content from over 1000 channels like news, weather, horoscopes, traffic, and a library of breathtaking photos.

You simply select the channels in which you are interested, set the rules for each channel and FrameChannel will create a unique feed of images that is updated automatically.

Use FrameChannel To:
    • View your photos from your computer and multiple photo-sharing sites
    • Share and receive photos from friends and family via email and camera phone
    • Subscribe to free content you can customize (news, weather, traffic, sports scores, horoscopes and much more)
    • Manage and automatically update the content displayed on your device from one spot - http://www.framechannel.com.

4. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    FrameChannel has been available on the TiVo for a while using apps.tv.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

I'll have to try this out tonight. And it looks like it's at a great price too. FREE!

6. Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    will the interface be in HD?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I like this. I just set it up on the TiVo I can watch remotely through my Hava box. For it being free it has alot of information you can access.

I'll have to check it out further when I get home tonight and can directly access the TiVo without he delay you get for button presses while accessing it remotely with HAVA.

8. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    If you go to the website to register and it gives you a drop-down of supported device manufacturers, Tivo isn't in there!

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But when you go to the main page there is the TiVo dude there at the top, right next to the words FrameChannel.

And on the main Frame Channel page they show a TV with a Series 4 and a Series 3 box next to it.

http://www.framechannel.com/

10. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Framechannel is also on my Series3 TiVo.

Seems to work pretty well.

11. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Signed up and tried a few channels, seems meh. It's Ok to have a bunch of stock price, sports score, news headlines and photos in a slide show kind of display. But it doesn't really have any interactivity. The PlayAll link is nice that rotates through all your subscriptions, but kinda slow, and there is still one channel that I didn't sub to that got thrown in there for no reason (except to push vacation ideas on me?)

Not convinced that this is something I would use, to only get a fraction of the information and interactivity that I can already get using my PC, using an awkward and slowish interface on the Tivo? Yeah it's free, but so is the web browser on my PC, and I can get a lot more out of that.

12. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Call me stupid, but how do you scroll down inside an app? I can't get anything beyond the first screen of either the New York Times or Twitter.

13. yunlin12

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think you scroll, it's only one screens on all the apps for me, and things go by like a slide show, on its own pace, there is no interactivity.

14. porges

porges Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Wow, how totally useless then. You know, I always wanted to be able to stare at the last 3 tweets out of the hundreds I have pending.

15. yunlin12

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Yep, basically my impression exactly

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It's designed for those "digital picture frame" devices, AFAICT. So it doesn't take full advantage of HME, no -- everything is just a slide show of still images. But I like it... it didn't work for me when I tried it on apps.tv, but the new version works fine. And I get it now -- I see the use of it. I didn't at first.

It would perhaps be better as a screensaver, though. That's basically what it is (especially if you use the main "My FrameChannel" app that cycles through your chosen screens). It would be nice to be able to turn off the other icons, too (or, preferably, to have full control over all the icons in the MP&S menu).

17. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    The fast forward and rewind keys will step you through the different apps, but it takes a couple of seconds to register, so it's difficult to tell that it's actually doing anything.

18. andrewl570

andrewl570 New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I tried framechannel... it's nothing special.

19. macroped

macroped New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    I too was turned off in just a few minutes, as soon as I discovered I could not 'zoom' in on any frame. What seemed nice (like seeing my US Rep listed and Engadget news, etc) seemed silly pretty quick. Maybe things will improve.

20. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Is anybody's FrameChannel still working?

Mine tells me to to do the set up and registration again. I had created an account and spent some time selecting content and adding feeds. So far I've decided it's not worth the waste of time do it again. Why did they lose my account info?