Fox Summer Schedule...what are they thinking?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA

Advertisements

Fox just released its summer schedule, with a few surprises:

First, the planned Jamie Foxx show will not air (at least, not in the summer).

Second, repeats of The Chicago Code will start airing on Saturdays in what is currently the America's Most Wanted time slot.

Third, and what I think is the most surprising, it appears as if American Idol will move to Tuesday/Wednesday for its finale. (Either that, or they're going to have to have two eliminations without the same at one point, as So You Think You Can Dance? is listed as having its two-hour premiere on Thursday 5/26, which is when the Idol finale is "supposed to" air.) Note that, with the cancellation of the Terra Nova "sneak preview", the Glee season finale airs either right before or right after the last Idol performance show.

Here's the complete schedule:

Monday - Masterchef, followed by House
    Tuesday - Masterchef (apparently, rather than a single 2-hour episode each week, it will be two 1-hour episodes), followed by Raising Hope and Traffic Light (Hell's Kitchen replaces the sitcoms starting 7/19 - why they don't move HK to Mondays and have a two-hour Masterchef block, I don't know)
    Wednesday - So You Think You Can Dance?
    Thursday - SYTYCD, followed by Glee
    Friday - Bones, followed by Lie To Me
    Saturday - Cops, followed by The Chicago Code
    Sunday - all animation, all the time

-- Don

2. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I wonder if that's the end of Most Wanted. I don't recall it ever being taken off before, even in the summer. Maybe I'm wrong.

3. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Wow. Fox's schedule has really gone from impressive to "How MANY Gordon Ramsey shows can they air"?

4. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Not surprised by the Idol move. Wed. 5/25 is the last day of the season (and of May sweeps).

5. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA

Advertisements

It was not on the 1996-97 schedule at first, but apparently there was so much protest that Fox brought it back. (Cops, AMW, and The Simpsons (technically - while the series didn't start "officially" until January 1990, the Christmas Special aired in December, 1989) were all on Fox in the 1980s; I think the next-oldest show still on Fox is is Family Guy (which was removed from the schedule two or three times), which premiered in 1999.)

Actually. that's "How many Gordon Ramsay and Seth MacFarlane shows can they air?". (Three of each, apparently.)

-- Don

6. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Not 1 show on Fox for me this summer. :(

Hoping Breaking Bad comes back along with some other good summer shows.

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Seems pretty reasonable to me. Two one hour eps of MC instead of a block since they already have a block of SYTYCD later in the week. I assume they can get more from a repeat of House than a new, second hour of MC. Taking AMW off makes sense since some of those featured may have already been arrested and airing repeats of shows like Chicago Code increases possible viewership for the new season.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, it was THAT long ago that that happened? I would have guessed ~5-6 years ago when they tried to take it off.. no more than 10.
    (OK, just checked the wikipedia page and it confirms that ... I thought maybe that would mention a _later_ temporary cancellation, but nope..)

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Yep...nothing on that list that I'd want to watch.

Sorry Fox..can't help ya with ratings this time.

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'll be watching Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen, as these will be new episodes, and I like cooking-related shows. That's it. Besides those two, and SYTYCD, is everything else repeats?

11. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Looks like summer will be a good time to do more netflixing.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Looks like I could remove that channel from my line up this summer and not miss anything.

13. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Needs more animation.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. I'm sure I'll be watching a lot of USA and FX during the summer along with lots of movies and baseball. Not a big deal. Summer is always catch up time for me anyway.