FOX Stops Production On New Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by FilmCritic3000, Oct 16, 2007.

1. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    (For those not in the know, no, the character in this isn't a vampire. He's an immortal that will only gain mortality after he falls in love.)

It looks like we have another series that could air on my proposed short-lived/never aired TV channel.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia3615def51405dc3ae803400fae08118

2. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    Did it even start airing yet? I was mildly interested, but of course now, I won't bother.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nope. It was taken off the fall schedule, and a new start date hadn't been announced yet.

Every time I think I understand networks, they confuse me even more. I don't get how the network can be impressed enough with a show to order it to series, something that isn't exactly an inexpensive proposition, only to decide after they get 7 episodes into it that they just aren't that into it and can it before it even airs.

Now they've got 7 rather expensive turds just sitting there... no one is going to watch it, since the chances of any conclusion being had in an abruptly halted series are slim. The network probably won't air them... they would be better off showing reruns of one of their more popular series.

They COULD have asked for the series to wrap at something like 10 or 13 episodes or whatever, basically turning it into a short run series they could air during summer or something when they have nothing better to air. This would at least let them make something out of nothing, but apparently that makes too much sense for TV executives.

4. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Not really surprising considering the over-saturation of Super-natural themed shows this fall.

5. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    I was more excited by the name than the show... definitely a great name that I had been waiting to be turned into a show or a movie, I guess I will have to wait for the 2008 in production project for a good "New Amsterdam" thing.

6. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    The premise sounds boring and unoriginal. Fox should stick to goofy reality shows.

7. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I, for one, was looking forward to giving this show a try. Now I won't bother (Assuming only the few eps in the can air or are on the net).

Let me be the first to say,

Burn in Hell Fox!!!!!

8. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    You forgot to say: For All Eternity!!!!!

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Now it's BIH for not putting it on the air and giving everyone a chance to post their "Big Bag O Suk", "watched fifteen minutes, SP deleted" comments? Oy.

10. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Hey... without having see it, what makes you think that they aren't doing us a Big Favor!!!!!

11. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    What a disappointment Fox is. I was looking forward to this show.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    damn disappointing, this was one of the few shows I was thinking about giving a chance to, however knowing it was on FOX pretty much meant "cancelled after 6 episodes" to me.

I'm glad Journeyman is working out for me in the "quirky drama with sci-fi overtones" category

13. RobertE

RobertE Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Cleveland, OH
    Maybe its just me, but with a writers strike on the horizon, I'd want as much stuff in the can ready to go just in case. :confused:

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Sometimes -- remarkably often, as a matter of fact -- reruns get better ratings than new episodes. This happened last year with new episodes of Drive being replaced by House reruns.

15. pantherman007

pantherman007 Blah blah blah

Jan 3, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I was looking forward to this one. Maybe its time for Fox to consider moving to 3 hours of primetime programming?

16. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    TV Guide's Ausiello is reporting that Fox has canceled New Amsterdam.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Thanks for the info...

You know, it's intensely annoying to me that we have to find out about cancellations this way -- the article just cites "sources". Why doesn't Fox announce it? Better yet, why don't they announce it on their own damn network, the way they did when it came on? I suppose cancellations are embarrassing (albeit routine) to the network, but not telling the viewers is very unfair to them.

18. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Not surprising but I wanted more of this show.

P.S. BIH FOX!!!!!!!!!!!

19. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really enjoyed this series and was hoping to see more. I'm really disappointed they're not giving it more of a chance to prove itself. :(

20. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    They do. The 2008-2009 schedule is unveiled at the May upfronts; Fox's presentation is on Thursday (15 May).