Fox Pixelation on Tivo Bolt OTA AND DirecTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by finstead, Sep 12, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

1. finstead

finstead New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I may be using the term Pixelation wrong: the screen shows occasional bursts of rectangular areas of multicolored noise. The problem initially manifested in our recordings on DirecTV of So You Think You Can Dance--extremely distracting. Tech support suggested replacing the Genie, but we did not because of the large number of recorded programs we would lose. And inertia. We are now transitioning to the Bolt OTA and notice the same, albeit less severe problem in viewing the recordings. On viewing live shows in the morning (SYTYCD is recorded in the evening), there is minimal pixelation on the Bolt, and less so on DTV. Recordings of other programs either on DTV or Bolt do not manifest the same pixelation.We use our former rooftop antenna mounted in the attic of our 2 story house which gives us an antenna strength of 75% on Fox; I do not know how to view SNR on the Bolt. Antenna web recommends a small multidirectional antenna. While there are barrel connectors in the coax feed, I have removed all splitters. None of the other channels with similar signal strengths give similar problems. While I could alter the antenna, I am curious about the relative isolation of the problem to Fox on 2 dissimilar systems. TIA for any help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    After the repack of OTA signals, there has been more pixelations. It may be due to interference on the airwaves.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Is there any optimization of your antenna where the issue doesn't occur? (on that channel specifically?)

-KP

4. finstead

finstead New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks. This makes sense. Would increased signal strength help if this is the case? Also, is the feed from DTV also subject to the repacking/compression situation?

5. finstead

finstead New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks. I am not certain what you mean by optimization of the antenna. I am planning to try a different attic antenna to see if that helps.

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Amplifiers don't really work on digital signals, and if it did, it would also amplify the noise.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What I mean is, can you adjust the pixelation out of the picture by fine-tuning the antenna orientation?

-KP

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Nope.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I think @ThAbtO 's answers, although frequently correct, are a little too broad brush.

Antenna type, location and pointing can make a difference (i.e. change the amount of pixelation) in cases where the signal strength or SNR are marginal.

Amplifiers "work" (i.e., amplify the signal -- and noise) on digital broadcast signals. It's just that if the problem is poor signal-to-noise (SNR), amplification doesn't improve things. There can be situations where amplication will help, e.g., a distant (weak) signal received with a high gain directional antenna (so the SNR is good but the signal strength needs increased.)

Go to RabbitEars.Info and check out the strength, directions and frequencies of the stations you normally receive. Is the Fox station in a different direction than the others? Could it have been changed to a VHF frequency as a result of the repack? VHF stations need a larger antenna than UHF stations because of their longer wavelengths (lower frequencies). Direction and frequency could be factors that make the Fox station harder to receive. Of course none of this can explain any differences you see on DirectTV, only the OTA effects.