Fox Animation thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by orangemo, May 18, 2020.

1. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020

Advertisements

This is the place to talk about all of Fox's current animated lineup. Think Bless the Harts, Simpsons, or Bob's Burgers.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Maybe you had something to say to start the conversation?

Nowadays I'm pretty much caught up on The Simpsons (I have the most recent to watch), was waaaaay behind on Family Guy but I think I'm now finally on this season (watching on Hulu and nuking the episodes I have on my tivo or downloaded afterwards).

orangemo likes this.
  3. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    I'm caught up on all five shows pretty much, just watching some other adult cartoons during summer to wait. This thread was mostly made for people to start their own conversation, but if you want me to start one?

How do you guys feel about Duncanville and Bless the Harts, the two new Fox animations?

4. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Funny thing is, I think I have recorded all of them, but haven't seen ANY of either of those, or at least not full episodes. I seem to remember from clips I've seen that Bless the Harts has a weird animation style but I could be misremembering.. Heck, even Bob's Burgers' animation style bugged me a bit at first, now I think it's very funny.

5. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020

Advertisements

For Harts, I rememer seeing the artstyle in the trailer and it was a little off-putting at first but seeing them in motion is much better. They redid the scene for the actual episode so it does look better. The animation is pretty fluid and season 2 is expected to have a bigger budget as well.

Duncanville according to a lot of people has a "better" artstyle, but it's more generic and boring. At least Harts tried to look different but Duncanville art seems like is a mix of Family Guy and Bob's Burgers.

As for Bob's season 1 budget, the arstyle isn't good, but it got better starting with season 2 and 3. And the DVR keeps recordings for how long since the first episode of Harts was back on September 29, 2019, so you must have had it for 8 or so months without even touching it.

6. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    8 or 9 months... that's *recent* for me.. only semi-joking. if I had infinite storage, I would record even more... and in HD.. but for these animation shows, I record the SD version, as a backup, since at least so far, they've been there on Hulu when I wanted to watch them (I pay for the commercial free version).

I'd probably try out (or even start recording) fewer new shows if I knew I could get to them when I wanted to... but I'm also curious to find more shows even though I already record more than I can watch.

orangemo likes this.
  7. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I thought Bless the Harts was hit and miss. Duncanville was more steady, but the best episodes of Bless the Harts were better.

I also enjoyed the Simpsons finale. It was a little odd that it was
    a Christmas episode in May, but I enjoyed the flashback to the first episode.

8. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    Simpsons finale was great it’s my favorite of the season. But it’s also from Carolyn Omine who’s the show’s best current writer.

I found Duncanville more so consistent except the Pilot and maybe Witch Day but nothing about it stands out. It’s too generic and the highest episode I give is Red Head Redemption like a 8.5/10.

Bless the Harts yeah was less consistent but the best episodes of season 1 are top notch. The Black friday one especially is like 10/10 and the finale is like a 9.5/10. There’s more I dislike about Duncanville honestly. I gave an entire review on it on the nohomers forum. I think it has potential but it’s nowhere as good as Harts is, despite Harts’ flaws.

I expect season 2 to have better episodes so.

realityboy likes this.
  9. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I didn't like Bless the Harts at all. I watched three episodes and quit. Duncanville is a little better but not by much. This just shows how hard it is to develop a good animated series. Even Bob's Burgers is starting to wear off on me. Simpsons and Family Guy are still going strong, though.

sharkster likes this.
  10. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    I was debating quitting both but I had nothing better to do for 1/2 an hour. Harts got better closer to the and and the last 4 or so episodes are good. There’s still room for improvement, same with Duncanville.

And I think Bob’s is still strong as before, but Simpsons and Family Guy both just need to die. It’s hard to make an animated show and first seasons are going to be rough just be aware of that.

11. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    mlsnyc likes this.
  12. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    Okay this thread kinda died tbh imo, but the animated shows sans Duncanville return September 27.

mattack likes this.
  13. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    According to these promos of season 2 of Bless the Harts, the characters have undergone significant redesigns.

14. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    According to Futon Critic (I don't know why these get in to Futon first and not Fox's press release site first), these are the plot summaries for 9/27 on ANIMATION ON FOX.

The Simpsons - Undercover Burns - Mr. Burns goes undercover as "Fred" at the nuclear power plant and becomes friends with Homer and the gang. Burns implements all sorts of amenities to improve his employees' lives, but a jealous Smithers plots to bring the old, bitter Burns back and destroy Fred. (TS-3119)

Bless the Harts - Violet's Secret - Jenny and Betty secretly follow Violet, after becoming paranoid that she's making the same bad decisions they did as teenagers. Meanwhile, Wayne gets sued by Bobbie-Nell. (BHR-201)

Bob's Burgers - Dream a Little Bob of Bob - Bob goes on an epic quest to find a misplaced lock box key. Tina attempts to learn a hand-slapping song that everyone can do - but her. (BOB-1001)

Family Guy - Stewie's First Word - Stewie finally says his first word, and it's a swear. When Lois is shunned by the other moms, she tries to figure out where Stewie could have possibly learned it. (FG-1717)

15. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    EPISODES FOR OCTOBER 4

The Simpsons - I, Carumbus -
    At a museum exhibit of Ancient Rome, Marge and Homer get into an argument about Homer’s lack of ambition. They then imagine a Roman version of what would happen if Homer was more career-driven. (TS-3118)

Bless the Harts - The Last Supper - When a chain restaurant called Lord Lobster moves into a new location right off the highway, Greenpoint and The Last Supper fear they are in danger of financial ruin. After deciding to film a commercial showing off the best that Greenpoint has to offer, Jenny becomes frustrated with her fellow residents’ behavior in front of the camera. (BHR-111)

Bob's Burgers - Worms of In-Rear-ment - Linda tries to take her family to the symphony on free admission night, but her efforts are thwarted by a pinworm epidemic. (BOB-923)

Family Guy - The Talented Mr. Stewie - Stewie "breaks up with" Rupert after learning that he used to belong to Chris. Unable to get over his feelings of betrayal, Stewie decides to take action. (FG-1720)

16. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    EPISODES FOR OCTOBER 11

Lisa stays home from school to explore the wonders of Western art. She appears as Lisanardo, while Bart takes the shape of a French impressionist, Homer and Marge as Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, and Maggie as a warrior Cupid in the all-new "Now Museum, Now You Don't" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Oct. 11 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3121) (TV-PG D, L, V)

When the Ladies of Greenpoint hire Jenny to help run their gala, Jenny's desire to fit in leads to a strain in her relationship with Brenda. Meanwhile, Betty looks into cosmetic surgery after becoming self-conscious about her age and Wayne takes Violet to his new job as a window washer in the all-new "My Best Frenda" episode of BLESS THE HARTS airing Sunday, Oct. 11 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BHR-112) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Bob agrees to be the temporary chef at the Fischoeders' new nightclub. Meanwhile, the kids get a hold of a stock tank and decide to throw a pool party in the restaurant basement in the all-new "Copa-Bob-bana" episode of BOB'S BURGERS airing Sunday, Oct. 11 (9:00-9:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BOB-1002) (TV-PG D, L, V)

When Peter injures himself and a family of squirrels in a chainsaw accident, Chris and Stewie take in one of the injured rodents to nurse it back to health. Meanwhile, a chiropractor fixes Peter's injury by realigning his spine - and restoring him to his "true height" of 6'5" in the all-new "Boys & Squirrels" episode of FAMILY GUY airing Sunday, Oct. 11 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FG-1802) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

17. orangemo

orangemo Member

May 15, 2020
    EPISODES FOR OCTOBER 18

Don't miss the annual terror-themed trilogy, including a frightening look at the 2020 election, parodies of Pixar and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and a ninth birthday Lisa just can't get over in the all-new Halloween-themed "Treehouse of Horror XXXI" episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Oct. 18 (8:00-8:31 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3117) (TV-14 L, V)

The Harts visit Greenpoint's abandoned mall, which brings back fond memories from the 2000s, but their reminiscing is interrupted when a mall rat named Stacey (voiced by Kristen Schaal) takes them hostage in the all-new Halloween-themed "Dead Mall" episode of BLESS THE HARTS airing Sunday, Oct. 18 (8:31-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BHR-202) (TV-14 L)

Louise's plan to get revenge on Halloween for a candy transgression hits a snag when the Belcher kids meet a mysterious elderly woman at a hotel. Meanwhile, Linda and a very squeamish Bob donate blood at a vampire-themed blood mobile in the all-new "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" special Halloween episode of BOB'S BURGERS airing Sunday, Oct. 18 (9:00-9:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BOB-1004) (TV-14 L)

Peter and Lois accidentally set up a cutaway gag together, which somehow transports them into the cutaway itself in the all-new "CutawayLand" episode of FAMILY GUY airing Sunday, Oct. 18 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FG-1801) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

18. austinsstuff

austinsstuff New Member

Nov 23, 2020
    Last night's new Family Guy was a pretty decent one.

They finally found a new mayor to replace Adam West, and it's none other than his cousin, Wild West (played by Sam Elliott).

Haven't seen the new Bob's or Harts yet, but I have them recorded on my TiVo that I'm planning on recording later today.

mlsnyc likes this.
  19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Both the "Comic Book Guy goes to Comic-Con" and "Bart gets a job as a voiceover artist" storylines in this week's "Simpsons" were chock full of meta-jokes, even more than usual -- well, I guess after 30 years it's just easier to write meta-jokes than it is to come up with other stuff that hasn't been done before.

20. austinsstuff

austinsstuff New Member

Nov 23, 2020
    Didn't catch that one unfortunately. I was making sure my antenna had a good signal to my local Fox station so I could record the rest of the nights episode.

The bits I did catch while adjusting my antenna did look pretty interesting. Such as Comic Book Guy being pretty relatable sometimes, as well as seeing Matt Groening's caricature in one scene.