Fox Animation thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by orangemo, May 18, 2020.

1. orangemo

orangemo New Member

May 15, 2020
    This is the place to talk about all of Fox's current animated lineup. Think Bless the Harts, Simpsons, or Bob's Burgers.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Maybe you had something to say to start the conversation?

Nowadays I'm pretty much caught up on The Simpsons (I have the most recent to watch), was waaaaay behind on Family Guy but I think I'm now finally on this season (watching on Hulu and nuking the episodes I have on my tivo or downloaded afterwards).

orangemo likes this.
  3. orangemo

orangemo New Member

May 15, 2020
    I'm caught up on all five shows pretty much, just watching some other adult cartoons during summer to wait. This thread was mostly made for people to start their own conversation, but if you want me to start one?

How do you guys feel about Duncanville and Bless the Harts, the two new Fox animations?

4. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Funny thing is, I think I have recorded all of them, but haven't seen ANY of either of those, or at least not full episodes. I seem to remember from clips I've seen that Bless the Harts has a weird animation style but I could be misremembering.. Heck, even Bob's Burgers' animation style bugged me a bit at first, now I think it's very funny.

5. orangemo

orangemo New Member

May 15, 2020
    For Harts, I rememer seeing the artstyle in the trailer and it was a little off-putting at first but seeing them in motion is much better. They redid the scene for the actual episode so it does look better. The animation is pretty fluid and season 2 is expected to have a bigger budget as well.

Duncanville according to a lot of people has a "better" artstyle, but it's more generic and boring. At least Harts tried to look different but Duncanville art seems like is a mix of Family Guy and Bob's Burgers.

As for Bob's season 1 budget, the arstyle isn't good, but it got better starting with season 2 and 3. And the DVR keeps recordings for how long since the first episode of Harts was back on September 29, 2019, so you must have had it for 8 or so months without even touching it.

6. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    8 or 9 months... that's *recent* for me.. only semi-joking. if I had infinite storage, I would record even more... and in HD.. but for these animation shows, I record the SD version, as a backup, since at least so far, they've been there on Hulu when I wanted to watch them (I pay for the commercial free version).

I'd probably try out (or even start recording) fewer new shows if I knew I could get to them when I wanted to... but I'm also curious to find more shows even though I already record more than I can watch.

orangemo likes this.
  7. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I thought Bless the Harts was hit and miss. Duncanville was more steady, but the best episodes of Bless the Harts were better.

I also enjoyed the Simpsons finale. It was a little odd that it was
    a Christmas episode in May, but I enjoyed the flashback to the first episode.

8. orangemo

orangemo New Member

May 15, 2020
    Simpsons finale was great it’s my favorite of the season. But it’s also from Carolyn Omine who’s the show’s best current writer.

I found Duncanville more so consistent except the Pilot and maybe Witch Day but nothing about it stands out. It’s too generic and the highest episode I give is Red Head Redemption like a 8.5/10.

Bless the Harts yeah was less consistent but the best episodes of season 1 are top notch. The Black friday one especially is like 10/10 and the finale is like a 9.5/10. There’s more I dislike about Duncanville honestly. I gave an entire review on it on the nohomers forum. I think it has potential but it’s nowhere as good as Harts is, despite Harts’ flaws.

I expect season 2 to have better episodes so.

realityboy likes this.
  9. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I didn't like Bless the Harts at all. I watched three episodes and quit. Duncanville is a little better but not by much. This just shows how hard it is to develop a good animated series. Even Bob's Burgers is starting to wear off on me. Simpsons and Family Guy are still going strong, though.

sharkster likes this.
  10. orangemo

orangemo New Member

May 15, 2020
    I was debating quitting both but I had nothing better to do for 1/2 an hour. Harts got better closer to the and and the last 4 or so episodes are good. There’s still room for improvement, same with Duncanville.

And I think Bob’s is still strong as before, but Simpsons and Family Guy both just need to die. It’s hard to make an animated show and first seasons are going to be rough just be aware of that.

11. orangemo

orangemo New Member

May 15, 2020
    mlsnyc likes this.