Fourth S3 with major problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tgaynor, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Feb 2, 2007 #1 of 15
    tgaynor

tgaynor New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    NJ, USA

Advertisements

Well, here we go again . . .

I am now on my fourth S3 and all have had major problems.

First unit - Multiple green screens and very loud screeching from speakers. Happened once or twice a day for a few days. I returned the unit to Best Buy and received a new one. Service via Comcast

Second Unit - Multiple lock ups and blank black screens. Never happened while watching TV, always when turing the TV on. Returned to TiVO and replaced with a new unit. Service via Comcast.

Third Unit - Same as second unit. I returned and gave up, went back to DirecTV HD TiVo

All the above happen in October/November

Fourth unit - I swicthed to Verizon FiOS and had it installed today. I am having the same problem as unit two and three.

I have used different inputs on the TV, both HDMI and Component. I have used different Cable Cards and providers.

I am on hold with a supervisor at TiVo and they have no clue what is going on.

Are black screens common?

The only thing I can think of is that my TV's HDMI might be bad. I know DirecTV's HD TiVo had known issues with their HDMI card, so I am not sure if it is the TV or the TiVos. But I have had the same black screen on at least one if not two of the S3's via component cables (although I always use the HDMI and then switched to component after having the black screen issue)

Could a bad HDMI card in the TV screw up the HDMI and Component cards in the TiVo?

Tom

2. Feb 2, 2007 #2 of 15
    hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Wow, that's either some type of real bad luck or something else is going on. I don't believe that HDMI would screw up your component hook up. I do know that everything goes through HDMI so if you had your set hooked up to HDMI and then went to your DVD/VCR recorder you would see the same problem.

Is there any way you can hook it up to another television just to see if there is something going on with your TV? I've read some threads about some problems with Sony, although I own a Sony and don't have any problems.

Also any chance of getting your money back and buying from a different source? Perhaps the store or wherever your getting your unit from has a bad batch. Far fetched I know, just trying to come up with something.

3. Feb 2, 2007 #3 of 15
    tgaynor

tgaynor New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I do not have any other TVs with component or HDMI, I could hook it up to via the other connections. Should I?

Also, the first two untis were from best Buy. The third is from TiVo and the fourth from Costco.com

4. Feb 2, 2007 #4 of 15
    ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    There are other threads around here about external issues causing problems with the TiVo. I'm inclined to believe that 4 bad ones in a row means that it is not the TiVo at all that is the problem except perhaps to be overly sensitive to a particular external condition. I think the thread I'm referring to said there were power brown-out issues on TV startup or floating ground issues on the network cable or something of the sort.

edit - here's the thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4736296&&#post4736296

5. Feb 2, 2007 #5 of 15
    tgaynor

tgaynor New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    NJ, USA

Advertisements

Thanks for the link to the other thread. It seems there ARE others with the same issue.

6. Feb 2, 2007 #6 of 15
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes it seems unlikely that four S3 boxes from different sources would all be bad. Something else is probably causing the problem. I have two boxes from BestBuy and one from Dell and they all have been excellent so far.

7. Feb 2, 2007 #7 of 15
    wackymann

wackymann Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    Have you ever tried using it on a different TV? The probabilty of getting 4 defective units in a row is miniscule.

8. Feb 2, 2007 #8 of 15
    montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    Sorry to hear about all of your problems.

I place my vote as not the TiVo's fault per say, but some issue specifically with the TiVO used in combination with that specific TV. We all of course wish you had multiple HDTV's in your home for such testing. I guess if you don't it kind of makes it hard to prove that your TiVo does work with other TV's just fine.

But I am with the others, there is no way you have 4 defective TiVo units in a row, and if you did you will be winning the lottery any day because you are defying statistical odds. Two in a row is would be rare. Two in a row with the identical problem would be super rare, but four in a row with the identical problem is pretty much impossible.

Of course if the issue is the combination of that TV and the TiVo, one could debate if it is the TV's fault, or the fault of the TiVo for not working with that specific TV. Depending on how you answer the question, you could deny it to be the fault of the TV, but to be a defect with all four TiVo's for not being compatible with your TV.

9. Feb 2, 2007 #9 of 15
    slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    tgaynor

You said that you tried the components but after a black screen with HDMI . Have you tried to unplug the HDMI with the TV off and using ONLY the components? A bad HDMI can be locking other inputs on your TV. Why don't you post your setup, including the TV model? I agree with everybody here that 4 defective S3 is almost impossible.

Sergio

10. tgaynor

tgaynor New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    NJ, USA
    After talking with a engineer at TiVo, there seems to be a known issue with some Sony TVs and the S3. I will be working with them to help determine the exact cause. It seems that unplugging the ethernet cable is a temporary work around. I have not tried this, but another thread in this forum has seen this issue and that TiVo is aware.

11. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Good luck. I thought that might be an issue.

12. rocull

rocull New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL

I had the same problem (I also have a Sony and S3), and was able to get around it by changing to a USB Ethernet adapter instead of using the built-in port. No loss of functionality, and the problem is gone.

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    My story - I hooked up the HDMI cable to a DVI adapter as me TV does not support HDMI - the screen has gone blank/black on me 3 times - If I hook up component while this is happening then I can get the picture back on the component only - rebooting clears this problem and HDMI returns.

I only use the component cables now and it hasn't been an issue. The HDMI is unplugged. I did let TiVo know about it - they said that it could be a TV issue (SONY XBR70) but is unlikely.

14. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    rdrrepair

Is your Sony the new 70XBR2? I just wonder if the HDMI version (1.0,1.1) makes any difference.

Sergio

15. camori

camori New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    I am having the same problem. I have a Sony 60" SXRD TV and and S3 running Comcast. At least once per day it seems as if the unit freezes up, usually either turning the TV on, or changing the input using the TiVo remote. I have had the screeching speakers, but mostly it is just a blank screen, with no ability to get out of it, S3 is frozen, clock stops. Only pulling the power plug and re-booting solves it.

I am currently using a Wireless Bridge connected to the Ethernet port. I will run out and get a USB Ethernet adapter and try it.