1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Fortitude' - Artic Circle murder mystery

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    It's airing in the U.S. on a digital channel called Pivot TV.

This show is also airing on Sky Atlantic, a satellite channel in the U.K. and other countries.

Available via magical means.

'Fortitude'

Starring: Christopher Eccleston, Richard Dormer, Michael Gambon, Sofie Gråbøl, Stanley Tucci, Johnny Harris, Sienna Guillory, Verónica Echegui, Nicholas Pinnock, Jessica Raine, Luke Treadaway

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I added Pivot to my lineup a couple of months ago when I saw they were airing Buffy reruns. I kept seeing ads for this show so I set up a season pass. The wife and I watched it this evening and we'll probably stick around for the duration. This is apparently their first attempt at producing their own show for the Pivot channel

3. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Unfortunately, Pivot is not in HD on DirecTV.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Good thing I'm on FIOS. :D

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Has anyone else noticed something about the name of the series and its setting?

Fortitude?

Superman's FORTress of solITUDE is located in the Arctic.

I wonder what the creator(s) of the series had in mind when laying this all out?

:p

6. Feb 1, 2015 #6 of 47
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Also available on Vudu and Amazon Instant. First episode is free on both.

7. Feb 1, 2015 #7 of 47
    Malcontent

Malcontent Aka: Smiling Bob

Sep 4, 2004
    FYI,

Sofie Gråbøl also starred in the original Danish version of 'The Killing' (Forbrydelsen).

8. Feb 1, 2015 #8 of 47
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Episode one also free on iTunes.

9. Feb 6, 2015 #9 of 47
    Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Just finished Ep 3 and am really liking it so far. I wonder what kind of Creature is moving in the pile of bones? And how did the Sherriff arrive so fast to the seine. I'm glad Stanley Tucci arrived to oversee everything.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    It doesn't seem to be free on Amazon anymore. All I see is $2.99 per HD episode or $24.99 season pass. I have Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Episode-One-H...=1423424671&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=fortitude

It has a real Twin Peaks vibe to me and I'm enjoying it.

If you have DirecTv here's an oddity I just discovered. The Pivot channel is in SD and that's the way you'll see the program. However, if you get the episodes On Demand they're in HD. They're on channel 1267.

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I started watching, but the SD was terrible. It's been so long since I've watched a series in SD, that all I could see was the lack of resolution. Blurry faces, landscape (which looked to be gorgeous) was muddled, yada yada.

I have Comcast, which doesn't carry Pivot. I have DirecTV, which only carries it in SD. And I don't get DirecTV OD, since the DirecTV location has no broadband Internet.

So no HD :(

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Our Comcast franchise started carrying Pivot a while back in HD on 292. Not sure what channel it replaced but must not have been one that we watched. I noticed it as it carries Buffy reruns.

Scott

13. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Good point. I forget Comcast has different lineups around the country. Comcast in Houston has no Pivot.:(

14. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Thanks for the tip! I wasn't planning on watching this unless it was in HD. I have to manually record the On Demand episodes, but that's a minor inconvenience.

I watched the first two episodes, and I really like this show. The first episode I wasn't so sure, but it really picked up in the second episode. There are just so many odd, unexplained things going on, and people behaving in strange ways. It keeps it really interesting. I wish I had more to watch right now.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Perhaps I made an assumption about On Demand without knowing. Can you get OD (ex: 1267) thru the antenna/dish? Or does it require an Internet connection?

16. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    For DirecTV at least, I'm pretty sure all On Demand programs are downloaded over an internet connection.

17. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    First thought: That was... interesting. Second thought: What the hell did I just watch?

Just saw episodes 1 & 2 via DirecTV OD. The cinematography is incredible; can't imagine not watching in HD.

Story moves at its own pace; fortunately there is enough to grab you and keep you planted in front of the TV. Characters are interesting, different and have plenty of "you can tell you don't know everything about them yet". It seems eps 1/2 are mostly about setting up the story and the people. And there are a LOT of characters to learn.

Found this interview with the creator, worthwhile read. No real spoilers, other than of a very general nature that really aren't spoilers.
    http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-prin...n-donald-discusses-his-chilling-pivot-mystery

Not sure what the OD release schedule is versus the cable airing. I'm looking forward to the next episode. Is this a limited mini-series?

Good God is it cold. Everywhere. All the time.

18. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Correct.

19. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    This was a strange series. At first it reminded me of an Agatha Christie mystery in some ways - an isolated location, lots of suspects with secrets and possible motives, a visiting ace detective, minimal characterization - and then it threw in some sci-fi-ish stuff that was bizarre. Up to that point it had been fairly realistic. Not sure it all worked, but it held my interest and I enjoyed it.

20. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It started out pretty slowly. I wasn't sure I was going to stick with it until about the fourth episode. I'm glad I did, even with the techno-thriller elements of the last few episodes. I read that it's been picked up for a second season. I'm looking forward to it now that I am more involved with the characters.