Formula for Recording Times at Each Quality Level

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Red Pimpernel, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Red Pimpernel

Red Pimpernel Lurking Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Milwaukee WI
    I just upgraded my TiVo and now I want to be able to figure out how many hours of recording time I will have at the higher quality levels.

I now have "variable up to 421 hours" of recording time. So I want to know how much time I'll have at Best and High quality.

Is there a formula or rule of thumb for the different quality levels? Or a way to relate hard drive size(es) to the amount of recording time at each quality level?

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    There's no need to figure it out. It's already done for you.

tivo central > messages & settings > settings > recording > recording quality

This has always been available.

3. Red Pimpernel

Red Pimpernel Lurking Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Milwaukee WI
    Thanks!

I just upgraded from a Series 1, which does NOT have that screen, it but the quality info in the Account & System Information screen. And of course that screen in the Series 2 it just says "variable up to (the number of hours at basic quality).

After searching the forum quite a bit and coming up empty I did find the 2 links in the Help Forum "Before You Ask FAQ," but the general article from TiVo is a dead link and Mr.Tickle's graph doesn't cover the larger drive sizes now available.

So finding the screen in the settings menu is a big help.

Thanks for pointing the way.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The Series 1 Standalone surely does have that screen, it may just be in a slightly different place. A DirecTV TiVo won't have one though, since it records and already encoded signal.