former DIRECTIVO lover now has Cablevision DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by scrim67, Mar 31, 2010.

1. scrim67

scrim67 Member

May 1, 2002
    Central NJ

Advertisements

My situation is pretty simple.

I used to have DIRECTV w/TIVO and loved it with the two tuners, 30 second skip, nice UI, suggestions, etc.

I moved and cannot have DIRECTV anymore and am stuck with CABLEVISION with their DVR built in to the cable box.

After having TIVO for ten years I really now miss it.

I really want my two tuners with pausing and buffering capability back plus the 30 second jump.

What are my options? BTW I don't have an HD Television yet.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

scrim

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Even though you do not have a High-def TV, you can still use a Tivo Series 3, HD, HD XL, Series 4 which is the newer Premiere or Premiere XL. They have dual tuners and can record from cable or antenna or both. Unlike the Series 2 dual tuner which becomes a single tuner when used with a cable box and no analog input, these S3/4 will always have dual tuner capabilities. Instead of a cable box, it uses the optional cable cards to access some channels like HBO. The Premiere can only use 1 cable card, Multi stream card is recommended.

3. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I second that.

If getting a new TiVo is in the budget, get a Series 3 or 4.

Be aware you may also need to rent cable cards from the cable company, which will make the TiVo able to decode scrambled channels and get guide data based on the way the cable company is mapping the channels.

4. scrim67

scrim67 Member

May 1, 2002
    Central NJ
    do all of these models have the 30 second skip and the ability to pause either tuner and toggle between them just like my DIRECTIVO?

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Yes, and 30 sec is with a remote sequence to turn on and off

6. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    And 30 second scan is now supported as a feature in the Premiere.

7. Apr 6, 2010 #7 of 10
    scrim67

scrim67 Member

May 1, 2002
    Central NJ
    ok so based on this feedback it appears a series 3 or 4 is most suitable as i'm reading the PREMIERE has some bugs to be worked out.

Can I find a series 3 or 4 in a retail store?

What's my best best to get one?

If I get one on EBAY what are the pitfalls to lookout for as I'm not clear on how the lifetime subscription works and things of that nature.

scrim

8. Apr 6, 2010 #8 of 10
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Premiere is the new Series 4 platform.

You can shop any where to get a Tivo, Best Buy for one, or you can go to amazon.com and see what kind of deal you can get.

9. Apr 7, 2010 #9 of 10
    yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Something you should be aware of concerning using a cable card on cablevision systems, Cablevision in your area *may* be using A Switched Digital Video(SDV) distribution for certain channels(they use that here on Long Island) which will require a Tunning Adapter to get those channels.
    from what I read on different forums there are quite a few complaints about the TA's randomly rebooting(I don't know if they are about the cablevision TA's)If you have FIOS in your area you might be better off(I don't think they use SDV(yet)).
    HTH
    JerryR

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    I had cablevision when I lived in Wayne NJ and they were terrible.

The DVR was slow and missed recordings sometimes and had a very small hard drive.

About the only good thing about cablevision was the internet service.

But if you want a TiVo now by all means a TiVo HD or Premiere would fit the bill.