Formatting New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jasper 1000, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Jasper 1000

Jasper 1000 New Member

Feb 16, 2019
    I am replacing the original 500gb hard drive in my TiVo Premiere Series 4 with a new WD 1TB hard drive. I was originally told that all I had to do was install the new hard drive into the TiVo and it would automatically format the hard drive to work in the TiVo. However, while this is true for the Roamio model, it is not true for the Premiere model. When I installed the new hard drive and powered it up, all it did was continuously flash all the LED lights. The only instructions I have found in this forum regarding formating new hard drives to work in TiVo involved complicated steps to transfer all the recordings from the old drive to the new drive. I am not interested in transferring recordings to the new drive. All I want to do is format the new drive to work in the TiVo. Can somebody tell me how to do this? Again, let me state that I am not interested in transferring the recordings from the old hard drive to the new one. Just tell me how to start fresh with this new hard drive and format it to work in the TiVo. Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    What model number is it, and how big is the current drive? There are probably easier options than cloning you original drive.

4. Jasper 1000

Jasper 1000 New Member

Feb 16, 2019
    I edited my post with the info you requested. Thanks for any help you can give me

5. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    As long as the current drive is working I would use MFSTools 3.2 (actually 3.3 is the latest version). It will copy the existing drive while expanding it into the full 1TB at the same time, and if you leave off the -a command-line option it won't copy the recordings. You could also just delete the recordings that you don't want before using the standard -ai option to make the copy process run faster.

I can send you a TCD746320 clean image that you can restore in a few minutes with DvrBARS, but you would still have to use MFSTools or jmfs to expand it and then deal with running a Clear & Delete Everything and setting it up from scratch. One program and one step beats two programs and multiple steps, and this advice is coming from the guy who wrote DvrBARS.

The latest version of MFSTools is available at MFS Tools 3.2

SOGLAD and kpeters59 like this.
  6. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Does winmfs work with premieres?

7. Jasper 1000

Jasper 1000 New Member

Feb 16, 2019
    Unfortunately the old hard disk doesn’t work anymore. What should I do now? Thanks

8. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I started a private "conversation". Check your Inbox.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No it doesn't.

Scott

10. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks, was afraid of that, so easy for me to use (when I would remember to open as administrator).

11. krisjs1767

krisjs1767 New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Mercer...
    I have a dead drive in a Series 4. Would appreciate receipt of a formatting image. Thank you!

12. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    What model?

13. Jason Winter

Jason Winter New Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I have this exact issue, can someone please tell me how to format my new drive?

14. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    What exact issue? The questions in this thread are all over the place.

Start with the exact model number of your TiVo, describe the problem you're having and what you're trying to do.

15. Jason Winter

Jason Winter New Member

Sep 18, 2019
    I have a Premiere TCD746320. I am stuck on the Welcome Screen, so first I replaced the power supply, to no avail. I then got a 500GB Western Digital HD to replace the original 320GB. Now I am getting a blank blue screen on my TV and flashing lights on the front of the TiVo. I, too, was under the impression my unit would automatically format the new hard drive when I plugged it in, which is apparently not the case. Formatting the new hard drive is what I need help with.

16. SOGLAD

SOGLAD WOW! To REACH that 2TB GOAL !

Aug 17, 2019
    California
    First, I thank "ThAbto" for his link to: WINMFS 1.0.1.11! I really appreciate his reply ~ and the power of WINMFS...

I own three Series 3 HD TiVos. All 3 have Lifetime status. Now just #1 is left still working and updating fine... it is 1TB and I do NOT want to tamper with it at all...

I hoped to "enable/format" TiVo #2 and #3 (1TB and 2TB) with the ORIGINAL 160GB TiVo OS Data, "MINUS" the Program Info and ToDo list. But at this point I have only managed to make both TiVo #2 and #3 mighty-fine door stops.

I tried my best to UPGRADE my working #2 160GB to 2 TB. The first thing I did was to "backup" the original 160GB and it appeared to backup OK, but later that backup vanished! So did the DATA on the original drive. "EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard" did recover the drive info, but SAVED that data in a NTFS format and I suspect TiVo has no idea how to deal with it and honestly, I don't either!

I DID manage to get my new 2 TB (WD GREEN) operational in TiVo #3, but now it appears to be hopelessly locked in a "SO3 ERROR"!

I after lots of hunting I found this link (again thanks to "ThAbto"!),
    Upgraded HD in Tivo HD back in the S03 error loop. HELP!

"Running Clear Program Info & ToDo List should clear Error S03. DO NOT go through Guided setup!"

*** At this point, "I" have NO idea HOW to navigate to "Clear Program Info & ToDo List" (to clear Error S03)? Is WINMFS is the program ThAbto used to make that possible because I found no option to do that within WINMFS?... And with my 160GB data gone I am without a 'image'.

TiVo #3 is now LOCKED INTO "Guided Setup" (after power-up) and nothing I tried could get me OUT of that function or to a "Reset TiVo" option because of that constant "SO3 Error"?
    I also understand> "DO NOT go through Guided setup", but as I mentioned above IT is my ONLY choice?!

I hoped to BACKUP that 160GB and use it as my 'model' for future TiVo upgrades, but all that data is burnt toast. I hoped WINMFS would enable my new drives AND enable the additional space doing so...

*** Now I'm not sure if I need THREE images or just one?

Trust me Team... this is a trial by fire and I feel like the marshmallow that's been in the fire for hours and hours... Thanks for reading this and any help you can offer!

SOGLAD
    (and trying to remain so)

MODELS:

TCD 652160

TCD 648250B

TCD 746320

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  17. krisjs1767

krisjs1767 New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Mercer...
    TCD750500

18. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Image sent.

19. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Image sent.

20. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    I have a Premiere TCD746320. I am stuck on the Welcome Screen, I understand I need a new image?
    I did purchase a 2gb WD20EURX WD AV - any tips or tools you recommended - MFS Tools 3.3 seems to be what I'm looking for? but where to get it, or the image.
    And if I get an image, why do i need MFS..?