Formatting HD-Tivo Questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Lije Baley, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Tivo-dependent

May 11, 2004
    30 miles NW...

Advertisements

After more than 18 months of use, I'm thinking of formatting the drive in my HD-Tivo. I suppose it's not truly formatting, but using the "erase all information on the disc" feature in the setup menu.

I'm assuming that formatting will improve the unit's performance. What experience have other users had?

Are there any issues in using the utilities in the setup menu to erase all programming, etc.?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't know why you would assume that it would help performance. I wouldn't. You're referring to "Clear and Delete Everything", I assume.

3. KeepingUp

KeepingUp New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Michigan
    I was having strange issues with my HD -Tivo., after a 16 months of use.
    incomplete recordings, strange channel changes, incomplete update of the guide, etc...

DirecTV tech support suggested I do the clear and delete everything to correct.
    After much grumbling, I did the clear/delete, and have not had any of those problems since. It took a long time. Leave it for overnight, and write down your season passes, and any other settings that you want to have.

I suspect that it did at least a defrag, if not a format of the hard drive.
    I plan to do it on 10-12 month interval from now on.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The file system used in the TiVo (linux based) isn't susceptable to fragmenting like hard drives using Windows file systems. And I hope you have a lot of time to do the Clear and Delete Everything.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

The DirecTV CSRs like to tell you to do a CDE because it makes you go away for a long time...

6. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Tivo-dependent

May 11, 2004
    30 miles NW...
    OK, I guess I'll forget that idea. Now seemed like a good time as I only have four programs in my "Now Playing List." Usually I have closer to fifteen or twenty.

I was thinking of "Clear and Delete Everything." I thought it might speed performance (especially setting up a recording), similar to a defrag of a computer drive.