format & params for video from computer to tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dmayo2, May 5, 2011.

1. dmayo2

dmayo2 New Member

May 5, 2011
    (tried to search, but no answers here or elsewhere...)

1) I convert DVDs to mpeg-2 (mpg) (on windows).
    Formats that work:
    - 720x480, 2000kbps; audio MP2, 128 kbps bitrate, 2 channel stereo
    2) Move that mpg to my linux box running pyTivo.
    3) I "pull" the mpg to Tivo HD and watch successfully.

I can watch the movie fine. I can even pause it.
    However, I can't rewind, fast forward, etc. I can only pause or start over from the beginning. I've read that is because there's no frame info in the MPEG-2, so Tivo doesn't know how to move within the file.

What's the exact format that will allow moving within the movie? Not only what format, but what parameters are needed? Bitrates, audio encoders, etc.

I have a number of different programs that rip/convert well for me:
    Aiseesoft Blu-Ray Ripper
    Cucusoft DVD Ripper Ultimate.

I read that Videora Tivo Converter works well, but I can't get it to work -- basically, what are the correct parameters to use so that Tivo is happy?

Any help? Thanks.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    DVDs are already TiVo-compatible MPEG2. If you rip them with no reencoding, you should avoid this problem.

Meanwhile -- where I've seen this happen is with old VCD-style MPEG containers. Unfortunately ffmpeg can't distinguish these from MPEG-2 program streams on playback (or at least, doesn't report the difference), so pyTivo doesn't know that it should remux them. You can force pyTivo to remux to a proper MPEG-2 program stream by adding an override statement to the metadata; e.g.:

Override_container: foo

3. dmayo2

dmayo2 New Member

May 5, 2011
    Thanks W.
    So, the *.vob can just be renamed *.mpg and that should get Tivo to ff and rewind? If so:
    - Do you know of a good program that can stitch together vobs?

You're work around...can you also suggest a good metadate editor? (I assume that's where you put the "Override_container: foo" statement? (and in what exact metadata piece?

Thanks again.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    There is a lot of information around the site on this. You probably need to revise your search terms.

I use dvdshrink. It is freeware.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes. Actually, you don't even have to rename them, with pyTivo.

Personally, I use MPlayer to rip... it's been a while, though.

The metadata is just a text file. You don't need a special editor for it. If your movie was "filename.mpg", the corresponding metadata file would be "filename.mpg.txt". And all you need to put into that file is that one line (although you can put all sorts of other things in, if you want).

6. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    FWIW, I use VOB2MPG v3, then push the MPG w/pytivo... though I swear I can detect the join points when playing it back on the TiVo.

The simplest way to join the VOBs is to cocatenate them with the copy command.

a. Using Windows, pull up a command window with cmd.exe
    b. Make the folder where the VOBs are the current directory
    c. Issue the copy command in the form
    Code:
    copy /b VTS_01_01.VOB + VTS_01_02.VOB + VTS_01_03.VOB + VTS_01_04.VOB JOINED.VOB

7. dmayo2

dmayo2 New Member

May 5, 2011
    Thanks Stu.
    That command line is a great point. I'll try it. Also I tried DVDShrink. Works like a charm for getting mpegs to "act" correctly on tivo.

I appreciate all help from everyone.