Format drive or Clear/Delete with Kickstart code?? - HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jrpeterson5, Aug 5, 2007.

1. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA

Advertisements

I've been having troubles with my external SATA drive so today I went through the divorce process. Unfortunantly, now my TiVo doesn't respond to any remote or buttons at all. It's just a red tivo screen staring at me doing nothing...there's no text just the happy Tivo guy in the upper left. Oh, and the background that kind of sways in the breeze....it's REALLY choppy. Here's my original problem that caused me to divorce the external drive: original trouble

So I tried a Kickstart 57...Didn't help.

Now my question is this: Is there a way to do a format or "start fresh" through a kickstart sequence?? I simply can't get into the menu to do anything.

Please help!! I'm just totally stuck. :confused:

2. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Should probably pop the drive and do a restore from a clean image. I'm assuming you made a backup before modifying your Tivo?

3. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I didn't modify the TiVo internally....only added the external drive. I've never opened the TiVo so I do not have a backup image. Any other thoughts?

4. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Well, it's an unsupported feature, so you should have known the risks and taken precautions. For future reference, you should be comfortable taking your internal drive out, and making a backup (and restore), before using any unsupported feature, for exactly this reason.

You'll need to find someone who you can ftp an image from, and then pop the internal drive, get the tools, and do a restore. Or pay one of those services an insane amount of money to do it for you.

5. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL

Advertisements

Pull the drive, and make a MFSTools bootable CD to fix your drive (www.mfslive.org for details). Fixdivorce should repair the problem.
    If not, you're not worse off than now...
    If it does fix the problem, once your TiVo boots up happily, I would do a forced connect (in case of software updates or what), then pull the drive and make an image.
    There are those who can help with an undamaged image, but you will still need some tools to fix it (like the mfslive disk)...

6. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    That doesn't make too much sense - he said he divorced the drives (I assume by using the Tivo screen to say drop the eSATA drive). The "red screen" is not a result of non-divorced drives, it's something worse.

7. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    It sounds like the FW could be corrupted. I don't know if this will help but you could try a Kickstart 58. It's the same procedure as Kickstart 57 (but push "5" and "8" at the appropriate time). The actions are the same as Kickstart 57 (performs mfs check) but Kickstart 58 will also cause TiVo to perform an mfs cleanup.

If that doesn't fix it you could try a Kickstart 52 (again, same procedure but push "5" and "2" at the appropriate time). That will cause TiVo to make an "emergency call" to download and reinstall the latest firmware on the alternate root partition and boot it. TiVo will need to be connected via phone line or broadband for this to work of course.

Best of luck and hope that helps!

8. drcos

drcos HD where available

Jul 20, 2001
    Venice FL
    I was reading that the problem started when the OP tried to divorce the external drive. The fix divorce procedure with the drive pulled will at worst, not work. It doesn't take all that long, and if it were me I would give it a shot.

9. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for all the advice. Long story short, after trying everything that was suggested here....there drive or software is shot. So I'm going to assume the software first and restore the software with my brother's drive. I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks again for all the advice so far.