Forged in Fire - Anyone else watching?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by keirgrey, Aug 10, 2015.

1. keirgrey

keirgrey Old Man Vicious

Nov 20, 2001
    New Jersey
    A reality show where blacksmiths make blades, first two rounds are a knife last one is a "classic" sword from the past.

Anyone else watching it?

2. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Resurrecting the unused thread to mention that tonight's episode wasn't picked up by my Season Pass. Created a new one and it now sees this week and next week in the queue. (I also posted this info in the SP Alerts section.)

This is a great series. The competitions are self-contained episodes, not a weekly elimination, so you can skip around and not have any continuity problems (other than the host's hairstyle *shudder*).

The contestants are not trying to sabotage one another, and they respect the craft and one another. The hosts point out things in the process that are important to know, and I learn new words and techniques every time. I'll never be a blacksmith, but I admire blades and weapons a lot more now.

Was I hearing/seeing things, a week or two ago? I swear I saw a promo which said Oct.11th was the season finale, at only week 8, but we have guide data showing at least two more episodes. Maybe someone at the History channel loaded the wrong ad too early.

3. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Interesting, I'll check this out.

4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    There are continuity issues - I mean, have you seeh Wil Willis' hair this season? Though it appears that he ties it back in the later episodes. Then there's the judges, where J Neilson took a leave of absence for hand surgery and Jason Knight took over.

And yes, the hair thing was mighty distracting.

5. May 2, 2017 #5 of 31
    TSimms

TSimms New Member

May 2, 2017
    I discovered the show about 6 months ago and can't get enough.

I have no experience in smithing, but I'm very impressed by the work that the contestants put out.

Not concerned with hairstyles.

6. May 3, 2017 #6 of 31
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I love the show too. I'm always impressed at the work involved and what they turn out.

7. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    thread bump because this week's episode was just over-the-top awesome. The amount of bad luck and bad decisions led to new depths of epic fail. Some of it was so sad, I wanted to cry but also just had to laugh at the absurdity. Bless the show's editors for their build-up and juxtaposition of dialog and actions. Oh, and the "Karabela" is a nice saber, too.

8. RichardHead

RichardHead Musical Klutz

Nov 16, 2003
    Hollywood,...
    I know nothing about blades but even I know how to check for low carbon vs. high carbon steel.

I'm sorry to say that the stupid level last night was higher than any previous episode.

Interesting that the least "high tech" smithie was #1!

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This show is totally out of my wheelhouse but I watched some episodes during their recent marathon and found it very interesting.

pmyers likes this.
  10. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    The Discovery Channel recently launched it's own "Forged" clone called "Master of Arms" and the contrast was laughable. From the sets to the judges, from the contestants to the challenges, it all felt forced and scripted -- not a good sign for a reality competition. It only made us love "Forged in Fire" all the more.

worachj likes this.
  11. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    One of the bigger differences is Forged is about forging knives, like Master of Arms is actually making a firearm (from scratch - literally (flint) lock, stock and barrel). The first stage of forging something is really just an adjunct to the

Whether or not it succeeds or not, who knows. I did note that Discovery has cloned "American Pickers" as well (called "Vintage Tech Hunters" which is even more hilarious).

12. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The El Ray Network has a similar show called Man At Arms: Art Of War. But it's not a competition show, it has a professional forge the weapon showing each step then they put the weapon through it's paces.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  13. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    One thing kinda sorta freaks me out. When the martial arts guy says "This blade will kill" he has a smile on his face that is creepy.

Philosofy likes this.
  14. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    Although it's not necessarily about making firearms. I caught one episode of the show and they were actually making a flail. The show definitely felt kinda rough around the edges compared to Forged in Fire, but then, some of the early episodes of Forged were pretty rough too.

15. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I can say Forged was pretty formulaic in the early season, and it's only gotten better since with new challenges. I think the best yet was the Robin Hood one.

Though I want to know what the deal was with Wil Willis' hair sometime in the season 3/4 era.

16. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    What do they do with the animal carcasses they chop up? I hope they at least turn it into animal food.

17. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    The cast and crew have a BBQ.

18. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I'm sure the carcasses were chosen because they were no longer suitable for human consumption - otherwise the cost of the carcass would be quite excessive. (After all that carcass could've been butchered for meat worth hundreds of dollars).

Yes, you can get them, usually with a whole pile of assurances that none of the meat would be consumed, and what would otherwise end up discarded would be available to you for a nominal cost. Usually these animals are on their way to the slaughterhouse when an inspection reveals they are not suitable. Or perhaps they've sat around at the market too long and are about to be discarded. As fun as it is to claim some food joint serves substandard meat, the food regulatory agencies do a remarkably good job at ensuring what's actually edible is high quality.

Granted, what happens afterwards is probably just composted - even rendering for animal feed in general is a highly controlled process because the last thing you want to make is contaminated feed. But chances are the carcass they were given was already going to be composted in the end, it just took a diversion of a few days between either removal from slaughter (or removal from sale) and compost.

19. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm sure whatever they are doing would be ok with the "morality police" ;)

20. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I watched six or seven episodes over the weekend. I've noticed that the majority of eliminated bladesmiths say that they feel like winners and they're proud of their work etc... No. You're a loser. On national tv. Your wife should be embarrassed, your kids should run away from home and your dog should crap in your shoes.