1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign Based Customer Support

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jim Rutherford, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Jim Rutherford

Jim Rutherford Guest

Feb 13, 2018
    I called TiVo Customer Support and talked to 2 TiVo customer support people and English was a second language for both of them. I would guess both were from the Middle East. Not that there's anything wrong with being from the Middle East, it is just less easier to deal with an American.

The unusual sentence construction was distracting and the conversation took longer because of needing them to repeat words that they pronounce differently than Americans would.

I asked the second customer support person if I could be transferred to American-based support, and his response was "no".

Some companies used US-based support and others don't, but the amount of money I spend on TiVo and TiVo's gross margin would have me expecting US-based support.

2. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Interesting how "new" TCF members find their way here after it seems they have been with Tivo for a long time.

Most overseas support like Comcast and ATT use people in the Phillipines. Many different accents there, but most speak perfect english. I think I called this new support several months ago and did not have a language problem.

BUT anyway, They Do Not Know Much of Anything. So I do not know what the problem was for the call because you did not say. No matter, NO HELP THERE. Better to come here and ask.

Also if it is not a Major problem or complaint that most people do not have, I think the answer boils down to TOO BAD.

What, you do not know what Tivo, Inc is like???? Welcome then...

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Philippines as indicated above.

You are seriously mistaken about any large gross margin on TiVo's DVR services. This was very obvious from their financial statements before Rovi bought them and renamed themselves TiVo. They had made some good headway on being profitable by adding the MSO business but otherwise for a while only their patent royalties were keeping them close to breaking even or making a small profit.

Scott

jrtroo likes this.
  4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    WTF?

Middle East is not a typical hosting site for off-shore support.

TiVo has no significant margins, where did you get that impression?

5. chiguy50

chiguy50 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Based on the wording in your posting I might guess that English is not your native language.;) (But, in fairness, I will assume those are typos rather than a sign of language deficiency.)

As a linguist I am constantly appalled at the poor language skills of my fellow Americans, and I have met many non-native speakers whose grasp of the English language was far superior to theirs. IMHO the issue with third-party customer support is one of training and performance standards, and not so much location.

longrider, stile99, jrtroo and 2 others like this.
  6. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    This again? Is it just me or is there a new thread started on this topic within a week or so of the prior one finally dying down? The last post to the prior one was Feb 5, so nine days.