Force Call to Upgrade Software?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by beejaycee, Jul 14, 2007.

1. beejaycee

beejaycee New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    N'Awlins

Advertisements

My 160 gig hacked drive died so I pulled it and stuck the old 40 gig original drive back in my HDVR2. I'm inclined to leave the original drive in it to get the most current software (6.2a) on it before swapping for a larger drive. The old drive has software 3.1.1c on it and I've done multiple forced calls in the past 24 hours to try to download slices for 6.2a to it with no luck. Shouldn't the software have been downloaded during these calls? Or is it a random luck thing -- one of the calls has to be when the Tivo mothership isn't really busy and has nothing better to do than upgrade a really, really outdated drive? :)

(If necessary, I have the 6.2 small image from Alphawolf as well as 6.2 and 6.2a slices but would rather have TiVo update the drive, then pull, copy & hack an expanded drive while storing the original again.)

Thanks,
    Bryan

Edit: Also, after each of the calls, it shows as the next scheduled call is not for the standard 7 days.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It could take a few days for the software to download depending upon how DirecTV's servers are configured. Keep forcing the calls every day for a few days and you should get it.

3. tsanga

tsanga Member

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm having the same issue with an old version not updating to 6.2a. Any luck for you?

4. tsanga

tsanga Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Update: I have been trying this update by repeating guided setup, rebooting, and forcing calls, to no avail. I finally contacted D* customer service and they deflected me to TiVo customer service. TiVo CS was stumped why they had to answer a D* question, then finally just told me that an un-subbed unit (with "closed" account) won't receive updates from their servers.

Can anybody verify this, or did I get a load of BS?

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...

Advertisements

DirecTV should not have directed to Tivo's customer support because Tivo has nothing to do with supporting DirecTV/Tivos. I guess this DirecTV CSR didn't want to help you either.

Regarding your attempts to upgrade your DirecTivo's software, just keep trying.

Is your DirecTivo currently active, authorized and subscribed?

6. tsanga

tsanga Member

Oct 28, 2004
    No, it's not subscribed, nor does it have an access card (at least not one paired to it). I had the satellite feeding into it, but I took it off because I didn't think the software updates were in the stream anymore.

I just want to update it to get a clean updated image. My other image that's updated is hacked.

I was thinking I could take the drive from the un-subscribed unit, plop it into the currently active/subscribed box (both HDVR2), and see if it'll do it right away. What do you think?