For you Directv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Geo2000, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1 of 12
    Geo2000

Geo2000 New Member

Oct 2, 2006

Advertisements

It is rumored that Directv reads these boards… Directv, please read.

The main reason for my post is the HR10-250 OS upgrade. Before I comment on that however I have a couple of other comments.

I’ve always been happy with my Directv service. Happy enough to continue to pay about $80 a month for said service. Compared to the cable services I’ve used and despised previously, Directv quality rocks. SD, HD or whatever. Compared to OTA HD Directv HD is pretty good too. I have no complaints.

I tell everyone who will listen to my techno geek ramblings about how great Directv TiVo service is. If they say they don’t watch that much TV, I then of course tell them about how that means they need Directv TiVo even more. You know what I mean. All quality recorded shows. No commercials. I’m going to be brutally honest and say I’ve always thought that Directv TiVo has been a bargain. I would have paid more. And probably will now. I tell people I would rather give up indoor plumbing than give up my TiVos. You have to have your priorities straight.

It seems Directv can’t keep their hands off a good thing. I mistakenly bought an R15 about 6 months ago without realizing what a piece of crap it is. I of course immediately took it back and ordered an R10. Directv read this carefully. I will give up my TiVos when they pry them from my cold dead fingers. Whatever you were thinking when you attempted to concoct a TiVo knock-off was the most ridiculous item of the day. There’s still time to fix this bone-headed move.

Which brings us to the OS upgrade for Directv’s flagship TiVo receiver/recorder. There are hundreds (thousands?) of your best customers who have been impatiently waiting for Directv to upgrade the OS on the HR10-250 to the same OS that’s on series 2 machines. Many of whom paid $800 to $1000 dollars for their units. How could you not have the OS ready right out of the gate???

Now you dangle this stinkin’ carrot in front of most of your best tech-savvy customers. Directv could have done many things different but instead chose to treat everyone like a clueless grandmother who can’t program a VCR. If I force a call twice in a row the d@%!!! upgrade files which have probably been sitting on my hard drive for 2 or 3 weeks should be executed NOW. This isn’t a maintenance release, it’s a major upgrade and people who read this forum regularly shouldn’t have to wait for some “systematic” execution. To give you a perspective, I had Windows XP installed on my computer before the sun set on the day it was released. At the very least you could give us SOME meaningful communication instead of pretending we aren’t here.

Now please excuse me. I have to go force a call on my HR10-250.

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 12
    BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I herd that D* dumped TiVo because they didn't want to pay the $1 per subscriber fee that TiVo charged D*. That's why D* came out with their own box. I would have gladly payed the extra $1 in order to keep TiVo as the provider of hardware for the next generation (H20)MPEG4 boxes. I will stay with D* until the sun sets on the MPEG2 SD and HD stream, then I'm gone to whoever is providing the TiVo software in their box. It would have been very easy for TiVo to come out with a MPEG 4 box if D* asked them to, but like Ford with the Edsel, D* thought that they had a better idea that backfired on them. The best thing that they could do is to have TiVo write a version of there software to run on the H20. That would keep me with them for years to come. But alas, that is just a pipe dream. Time is just ticking down until the HR10 will become a door stop. Oh, Yes, I payed $1k for my 1st HR10, $800 for #2, and $800 for my dad's box, and I pay for his full subscription every year as his xmas gift. #3, 4 and 5 cost me $400 ea. # 5 is on the shelf as a spare. I am a very long time subscriber to D*. I have been very happy with them until they started shaving bandwith off of their channels to squeeze more shopping channels in. The macro blocking has increased quite abit on AMC, TCN FMC and others. The HD channels BW have been squeezed down so much, that now I can see macroblocking on fast motion. The picture quality is a mere shadow of what it was when you 1st started broadcasting HD. D*, You control your own fate and future. Continue on your path of self destruction, and you will be loosing alot of your customers down the road.

Off of my soap box for now, I know that D* hears, but doesn't listen to its subscribers!

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 12
    Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Geo2000, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday as I was forcing phone calls. Wouldn't that be a great way to start an update rollout... First few days/week, the users who force 2nd or 3rd calls, get it.
    That way, the user gets to 'self-select' as an early adopter. Who is in a better position to really document issues and call customer service with a consise statement about what is going on when there is an issue?
    Sure beats my 76yo mother calling with a problem!

I've always felt that this forum contains everyone Directv (or tivo) would ever need for a really solid, through beta of any upgrade.

oh well....

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 12
    rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    ...and if DirecTV is reading this, please note the following:

- Stop with the endless 2 year contracts
    - Stop switching over owned equipment to leased
    - Stop forcing us to crappy NDS DVRs, we want Tivo
    - Offer more National HD channels NOW !
    - Stop giving us HD lite
    - Stop shutting down HD channels for NFL ST
    - Stop saying "we have never heard of this problem" to all customers that call in
    - Fix the damn Audio drop outs problem
    - Get the HR10 6.3a release fixed and released NOW !
    - Quit flipping on the shopping & religious channels in the CIR list
    - Add guide data for my local NBC HD OTA channel (KOAA)

... more to come. :D

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5 of 12
    JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004

Advertisements

Gee... what an unrealistic rant...

2 yr. contracts stabilize their revenue stream and ensure they recoupe the cost to acquire and retain a customer

The leased equipment is one I don't get, so I agree with you there

How do you know the NDS DVR is crappy. Until I have an HR20 in my cabinet, I'm saving judgement. It has a lot of features I feel the almighty TiVo fell asleep on.

What national HD are we missing and with what bandwidth do they propose they add it? Same for your HDLite issue. I'd rather they drop the resolution than the bitrate. Would you rather lose a little sharpness or spend all your time bitching about compression artifacts and macroblocks?

So you'd propose they keep one small part of the 10/month package in order to screw over customers who've paid big $$$'s for ST and SuperFan?

All CSR's follow a script intended to filter through non-questions. Most users here know more about D* and the technical aspects of their service than an L1 CSR. If you wanted knowledgable people picking up the phones, be ready for a big price hike or long wait times (or both).

What if the audio dropout problem is caused by TiVo owned software? How can D* fix code it only licenses?

They are releasing it. Read the threads, people are getting it all the time. While I share your desire to get it quickly and your bad luck to be near the end of the list, that is nothing more than good deployment process.

I agree, I wish I could axe those channels in a reliable way.

That could easily be your affiliates fault, not D*'s.

I am now prepared to be strung up, quartered, and run thru the mud by everyone ready to label me as a D* apologist, but if you're a shareholder, these decisions look like they make good business sense. Everyone here gets so upset D* and TiVo broke up without knowing what went on behind closed doors. Neither party could find an arrangement that worked, so they moved on. Get over it. Or even better, exercise your capitalist right (duty) to move your dollars to someone who better meets your needs.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6 of 12
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Amen, my brother, Amen.

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 12
    rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    All the items I mention above are reasons why I am now actively researching other HD service providers. Trust me I will vote with my dollars at or near to my current contract date with D*.

BTW, we have exhausted all possibilities to determine that the missing guide data for my local NBC OTA HD channel is on the D* side of things. Non HR10-250 users see the guide data, Dish users see the guide data, Zap2it shows current guide data via it's web page. I am blue inthe face discussing this topic on AVS and with D* CSRs and it renders my HD Tivo useless to record programms via a season pass. This one item alone will push me to dish or cable.....

8. Oct 4, 2006 #8 of 12
    JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Can you use the issue as grounds to end your contract with D* and leave early w/o penalty?

9. Oct 4, 2006 #9 of 12
    finaldiet

finaldiet New Member

May 10, 2004
    Oak forest, Il.
    I agree with you Joe. If they take away from the HD channels your paying to watch to give more band-width to football, I think that could be grounds to nullify your contract unless it says they can do that in said contract.

10. dscott72

dscott72 New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Newnan, GA
    Amen.

I have yet to hear positive things about DirecT'v's DVR. DirecTv give it up already and if it means an additional $1 a month so be it, I would gladly pay the extra dollar for Tivo boxes to come back into the fold. I love my HR10-250, but I know that once DirecTv starts rolling out channels in MPEG4 that I will not be able to receive them.

(Thank goodness I get free HD programming from the cable company, not that they can keep up w/ DirecTv).

11. rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    Maybe I could, but I am currently paying zero for the HD pkg :D so I guess I should quit bitchin'. :p

I think they have a clause in the contract somewhere where it says they can do whatever they want, whenever they want and it's still a binding contract.

I wonder waht they could do, if I just quit an stop paying. They have never received my CC info and I own the equipment. I guess they could just try to ruin my credit rating, etc.

I thought we already were paying an extra dollar, when we went for $4.99 to $5.99 for DVR service? Greedy B*stards. How many more dollars do they need?

12. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    As with all GreedyB*****, just the "next" one. ;)