For users of Tivo S3 or Tivo HD with Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Mces97, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1 of 10
    Mces97

Mces97 New Member

Oct 1, 2008

Advertisements

Some forums have stated that multiroom dvr works with verizon and tivo as well as tivo2go and tivo desktop, but I would like first hand knownledge of people with fios using a tivo. For example hbo HD East(not the other hbo hd channels) is set to CCI=0X02 when checking the diagnostics menu on my motorala box. I was under the impression tivo2go would not work if anything other cci=0X00 was set. Can someone with a tivo hd or series 3 tell me if they are able to transfer hbo hd east or cinemax hd east recorded programs to their pc.
    Another forum post stated that the motorola is actually adding the CCI=0x02 line due to a setting that a tivo will ignore.

2. Oct 1, 2008 #2 of 10
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    It should work just fine. I have both a hacked and an unhacked S3 Tivo so MRV doesn't work for me. Both Tivos need to be either hacked or unhacked for MRV transfers to play back. I use the hacked unit to transfer shows to my PC using other methods but the unhacked S3 does allow me to transfer recordings using TTG. I know I've transferred shows recorded from HBO via the hacked unit but I don't recall if I ever did it with the stock S3. AFAIK, Verizon doesn't use the anti-copy flag like many of the cable providers do so there shouldn't be any problems using TTG or MRV to transfer recordings made from any channel you're subscribed to.

3. Oct 1, 2008 #3 of 10
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Everything I record from my TiVo on FIOS in HD or SD(95% of what I watch is HD) has been able to be transferred to my PC. Unless something has changed this week, that includes HBO-HD etc

4. Oct 1, 2008 #4 of 10
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Is there a link/thread on how to Transfer shows from TIVOHD to PC?

5. Oct 1, 2008 #5 of 10
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

Verizon FiOS doesn't use the CCI bit to protect content on its network. They use the DRM flag to protect the content, which causes Motorola to automatically encrypt output (CCI x02 for recorded content). TiVo boxes ignore that DRM flag.

Yes.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=371710

6. Mces97

Mces97 New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Its weird because some of the channels I am able to record using the firewire method with the motorola box say they have the drm flag but cci 0x00, while the ones I can not record say cci 0X02 with no drm flag. Why would the drm flag be there in the first place and not cci if you say the drm flag is sent out which causes the motorola to set the stream as cci 0x02. Its a little confusing.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    DRM and CCI flags are separate. The FiOS' Motorola DVRs don't correctly report what flags are being used. TiVo does.

Verizon FiOS does not flag any of its channels as CCI 0x02 so that is something the Motorola does on its own in response to another flag which the TiVo ignores.

8. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I'm looking at HBO HD East on FiOS in Eastern Massachusetts right now and it is definitely CCI=0x00

9. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    +1

I haven't noticed any protected channels in NE NJ. Knock wood it stays that way.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's been that way here since I got FIOS 13 months ago. None of the channels were restricted from transfer.