For the love of God....someone ease!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Perry Cooley, May 5, 2020.

1. May 5, 2020 #1 of 25
    Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    Hi all,
    New guy here. (Yes, a dummy) !
    I am getting nowhere with my TIVO Ota, and need an experienced guy to walk me through. Tivo, gives me a different explanation with each call...

2. May 5, 2020 #2 of 25
    pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    some details of your problems would help as a starting point

dlfl and kpeters59 like this.
  3. May 5, 2020 #3 of 25
    Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    First, thanks for a reply. OK. Purchased a Bolt OTA and 2 mini vox from Tivo. When they arrived, I realized I needed to create a MoCA network, something the sales people at Tivo neglected to mention. So I have Spectrum 400MHZ internet that enters the house through the attic. There the MoCA filter attaches between the ISP and the 8 way amplified spitter. One line from the amp goes to my kitchen, where my wireless router/modem resides. At that point I have Tivo bridge connected . This is connected via a 2 way splitter, the leg in from the 8 way splitter in the attic, one leg out directly to the modem and the third leg goes to the bridge. From the bridge a single ethernet cable flows back into the router. Good so far? Now, from the 8 way splitter runs to my family room. Here I was directed to install a bridge plus between the cable and the Tivo bolt Ota. I did this. However I cannot ca.onnect either the OTA antenna nor will the bolt recognize the mini vox units.

4. May 5, 2020 #4 of 25
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    What modem are you using?

If it's not a modem you'd need utilize to the built-in MoCA feature, is there any possibility you could separate it out from the rest of the Coax?

DOCSIS/QAM and OTA Signals can't really co-exist on the cable line.

There's a way to use a Satellite Splitter (Diplexer) to feed the MoCA Signal and OTA Signal in to your TiVo.

Maybe list any potential you might have for alternate wires. Could you get an Ethernet cable from the TiVo to the Router? Etc...

-KP

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  5. May 5, 2020 #5 of 25
    Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    The wireless router is a Arris TG1682, Supplied by Spectrum. Running an eternity from the router to the Tivo would be very difficult.

6. May 5, 2020 #6 of 25
    Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    How does the darn OTA signal get to the Tivo if not over the coax?

7. May 5, 2020 #7 of 25
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That Modem (I'm pretty sure) has Built-in MoCA.

Can you get logged in to your Router and ensure it's activated? There's usually login info for the Router on a label on the side of the router. (Edit: you've already got a) TiVo Bridge up to the TiVo as the OTA units don't have built-in MoCA...what is the TCDxxxxxx number on the back of your TiVo?

Where do you intend to put your OTA Antenna? It'll likely need to be close-by the TiVo and fed in to the Satellite Diplexer on a separate Coax.

-KP

8. May 5, 2020 #8 of 25
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If the TiVO Bridge and the Router are the only devices connected together, is the Coax Light lit on the TiVo Bridge indicating a valid connection?

-KP

9. May 5, 2020 #9 of 25
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think that's why they didn't include a Moca Bridge with the Bolt OTA. You could return the bridge and purchase two wireless adapters for your minis.

10. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Are any of the Coax Lights lit on any of the Bridges?

-KP

11. Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    Yes, the light on both MoCA bridges are lit (green) attached is my layout for clarity

Attached Files:

12. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    [​IMG]

13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Can your Bolt get to the internet?

-KP

14. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If you disconnect the Kitchen TiVo Bridge, is the Bolt TiVo Bridge Coax Light still lit?

If you get a Diplexer and put the Bolt's current coax in to the High Frequency Port you can connect the OTA Antenna to the Low Frequency Port and then the Output back in to the Bolt.

That could be either in that room or at the other end of the coax in the Attic.

If you could put the Bolt's Moca Bridge on it's own cable, it wouldn't need to connect to the TiVo except for the Ethernet. Then you could just connect the OTA Antenna to the Bolt's input.

No way to get another Coax from the Attic to the room with the Bolt? Maybe an unused coax on the other side of a common wall?

-KP

15. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    TivoMoCA5-2020.jpg

-KP

16. Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    Yes, the bolt can get to the internet with the current set up. It cannot see the mini vox units, nor the OTA.
    The bolt is ona cable as shown in my primitive drawing, through the bridge plus. This set up is what TIVO told me to use, but it cannot be right as it does not work.

17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Sometimes with MoCA it's best to take things down to 'minimum function'.

Just because the Light's lit, doesn't mean the connection it's making is a valid one.

You really do need to verify whether the Built-In MoCA in the Modem is active. You can (ought to be able to) call Spectrum and get them to verify the Built-In MoCA Status. Hopefully they'll confirm it's on or turn it on. But you can also verify it's on by hooking up just the Modem and 1 Bridge and see if the Coax Light is lit on the Bridge. If the Modem MoCA is on, you can eliminate the Kitchen Bridge as the Modem will be the 'main' MoCA Controller.

Then, pretty much unplug all the MoCA Devices. Plug the Modem back in. Let it fully boot up. Then the TiVo Bolt (unless you're going to require the Kitchen Bridge, which I think you ought to attempt to eliminate...then boot that fully second). Then boot 1 Mini and allow it get to the Main Screen. Go in to Network Settings on the Mini and run through Setup for MoCA. When that finishes, unplug it and repeat on the 2nd Mini.

Report back...

-KP

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  18. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If you can get logged in to the Modem, it has a MoCA Diagnostics that will display all the Devices that are on the System.

-KP

19. Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    Hi all... Sorry, been chasing my ass with this router...

20. Perry Cooley

Perry Cooley New Member

May 5, 2020
    St. Cloud...
    So, the TG1682 router DOES have MoCa capability, but it is LOCKED OUT by the ISP/Spectrum. They tell me if you want a wireless voice modem, with Moca, buy your own.
    Meanwhile I am still stymied as to how this damn thing works.
    Would it make a difference if I swapped the BRIDGE PLUS with the Bridge between the router and the Bolt OTA?