Football ran over again

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Combat Medic, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Combat Medic

Combat Medic No guts, no glory

Sep 6, 2001
    San...

Advertisements

Well it seems that my recording of The Unit got ruined by football's inability to run on schedule.

It really seems like these people want us to download the shows.

2. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    I make it a habit to add an hour of recording time to any show after a sports game.

3. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Football's inability to run on schedule? Exactly how would you suggest they do that?

4. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Your inability to expect that something that happens every other week during the football season might possibly happen again is astounding.

5. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA

Advertisements

Well in all fairness if they really wanted to go they could fix this by adding a flexible half hour of sports news/post game wrap-up after the game. If there's not a half hour left they just do as much time as they have. VERY few games run more than 3.5.

6. drewcipher

drewcipher New Member

May 21, 2002
    Ok, I keep seeing this happening, but don't get it. The only game that would still be on is on a different channel. Is this a priority issue? or does something different happen in Texas, than Colorado?

7. tward_biteme1

tward_biteme1 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Maryland, USA.
    You mean like Fox does now with "THE O.T."...... CBS is just stupid about it...

8. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    Texas and Colorado are in different time zones. I think the Eastern and Central zones are on one schedule and Mountain and Pacific zones on a later one.

9. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    With multiple channels due the the upcoming digital transition, why not

1. Regular Programming in SD
    2. Sports Programming in HD
    3. Regular programming in SD

During the Hurricane (Ike), I keep asking myself "sure, coverage IS important, but if you can send out a signal and I have power, must I see coverage 24/7 on the main and sub channels?

For the record, this complaint isn't really new, and I suspect the longtime TCF faithful have learned to pad by now.....

10. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    I have Amazing Race padded for an extra hour - I get a portion of 60 Minutes but that's ok since occasionally when I ffwd thru it I see a segment that I end up watching.

11. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Mountain Time Zones have the ability to collapse their 5pm News so prime time starts on time.

Or, if they don't have a 5pm news, they can schedule a JIP'able (Join In Progress) show at 5pm so 60 Minutes starts on time at 6pm.

Eastern and Central Time Zones go right from Football into 60 Minutes, and are fed live by the network.
    Mountain Time Zones delay the East Coast feed an hour normally.

Pacific Time Zone has their own feed from the Networks, long after Football has ended.

phox

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    "Football running on schedule"....sounds like an oxymoron to me....:rolleyes:

Couldn't have said it any better....

FWIW, I have both TAR and Unit padded by an hour....never have missed a minute of either.

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Honestly, IMHO, I think at this point, there should be no such thing as "football ran over". Just assume it will and pad the shows that mean anything to you.

Sure, as much as anyone else, I would love to see CBS pad the air time so we don't have overages, but come on.......You snooze you lose.

14. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    what's the definition of insanity again??

doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result

Combat Medic is clearly insane.

15. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Hate to keep pimping this but it always works really well for me: CBS Eye-lert

16. Combat Medic

Combat Medic No guts, no glory

Sep 6, 2001
    San...
    Well, this is an interesting turn. I start a thread and it rapidly evolves to me being called insane. I'm so glad that the rule against personal attacks works so well.

I will just ask, why is it insane for me to expect CBS to be smart about this when Fox has figured it out?

17. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    wow, not much of a sense of humor - or is that a personal attack as well. ;)

I'm sorry you took my comment in a way that wasn't intended.

to answer your question it's insane to think the're going to change anything - they've been doing it this way for the last oh, 20 or 30 years. I also find it insane that every time a game runs over, you can take it to the bank that someone will post a thread complaining about missing a show. That's just nuts.

18. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Based on that, it's also nuts to complain about the threads that complain about missing shows. I'm sure people have been posting such threads for 20-30 years. :D :)

19. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I'm the only normal one here ;)

the rest of you are all certifiably nuts!

My insane comment was made in total jest - I realize it's hard to determine that reading only the words written but still, that's an old joke line.

20. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Come on dude, that comment was obviously in jest. Stop being so hard nose.

Ever hear the phrase, 'don't sweat the small stuff'?

and its companion, 'its ALL small stuff'.