Food Network Star - All Season Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jradosh, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1 of 121
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I guess this is one of those shows that doesn't generate enough interest for specific episode threads... :eek:

It's so obvious that Penny is going to get kicked out soon. No way they would give her this bad of an edit if she was going to actually win and get her own show. :rolleyes:

I don't think there's anyone left that I actually do care about. Even Vegas Vic (arguably the most interesting person left) leave me flat. I'd rather he play up his bad-boy image rather than try to be the "teddy bear".

Is anyone else watching?

2. Jul 5, 2011 #2 of 121
    Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I'm watching. Originally I figured it was the Rachel Ray knock-off to lose it, and I think I am sticking with that vote. Her and Vic are my most likely candidates that the network wants. Vic represents another Michael Symon, who the network really likes, and we all know what a Rachel Ray who actually can cook could do for the network.

Orchid seems to be be flatlining, and the frat boy is still too much of a frat boy. Everyone else is kind of boring to me.

3. Jul 5, 2011 #3 of 121
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Loved it when Guy called out Justin on his two personalities. I'm also starting to hate Jyll (is that really the spelling of her name on her birth certificate...doubt it!) more than Penny.

Also makes me crazy when these contestants freak out over doing stuff in front of people. What the hell did they think they signed up for?!!

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 121
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Funny, I'm the opposite. I disliked Jyll from the first few episodes (partially because of the spelling of her name) but she's grown on me since. Part of it is her standing up to Penny who absolutely annoys me to no end. But her ability to talk in front of camera (or crowds) is impressive. Her cooking skills (and strategy) this last episode sucked pretty badly though.

5. Jul 5, 2011 #5 of 121
    Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Jyll I don't mind. I just don't think she has the chops to do a cooking show. And Penny can never get a show here. She could go on reality tv as a hated contestant though!

6. Jul 5, 2011 #6 of 121
    JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I love Jyll, JUST for standing up to Penny and calling her the most entitled person she's ever known. I about stood up and cheered. And yes, I'm SURE the editors are doing their best to enhance the drama - but they couldn't do it if there wasn't something to start with.

Vegas Vic is a Michael Symon wannabe, and I'm just not digging him.

I liked Orchid at the start, and she had a bad day last time - not a good place to be.

I can honestly say I don't see a single of them that I can look at and say 'I'd watch that show'. I'm hoping that changes.

Of course, I REALLY wanted to see Melissa d'Arabian's show, until they killed her concept and made it $10 Dinners. Boring.

7. Jul 5, 2011 #7 of 121
    Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    Not a lot of love for anyone. At this point I think Whitney is the favorite to win and may well deserve it. I do not even know who is a close second, I just do not get Vic and if he won would not watch. Which pretty much goes for everyone else. Just not any real fun personalities. What I do not understand is why they cannot get the kinds of contestants they do on Master Chef, along with the likable personalities.

8. Jul 5, 2011 #8 of 121
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    The big difference for me is that Symon has a personality and smiles frequently. Vic seems to almost always have the "mean face" on.

Z

9. Jul 5, 2011 #9 of 121
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I like Jyll. I like looking at Jyll. And she is a fellow cheesehead! So I have to cheer for her. She doesn't have the personality or screen presence to win. Vegas Vic won't win, because as you said, they have him already with Symon.

I think the only show I would watch is... Penny's. It sounds like her food is awesome, and I would love to get more experience with middle Eastern cooking. Sort of like how with Aarti, I learn more Indian dishes.

I'd at least watch a few episodes of a show with Whitney, too, 'cause she is so freaking cute. And a fellow engineer that cooks.

10. Jul 5, 2011 #10 of 121
    Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    They all suck.

11. Jul 5, 2011 #11 of 121
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Of all the cooking styles, I like Penny's best and think that niche needs to be filled on the network. But not by her.

12. Jul 5, 2011 #12 of 121
    Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I'm seeing Susie as the winner. They love her food and she's great on camera, plus there's not a "mexican" food show on right now that I can think of...

[​IMG]

13. Jul 5, 2011 #13 of 121
    Frylock

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I agree Penny brings a good culinary point of view, but is too pushy to make it.

Susie is good with food, but I find her kind of forgettable. I don't think I'd be compelled to watch a show with her in it.

14. Jul 6, 2011 #14 of 121
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Mexican Made Easy

15. Jul 6, 2011 #15 of 121
    snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    :up:

16. Jul 6, 2011 #16 of 121
    bruinfan

bruinfan Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    i don't know how much of it is edit, but it annoys me when the contestants don't defend their bad cooking.

for example, marybeth KNEW her chicken wasn't right, but it didn't seem like it was her fault because the grill wasn't getting hot enough. (or is it her fault BECAUSE she couldn't get the grill hot enough?) but she knew it was lacking, they called her out on it, but she just took the criticism. it appeared that it was counted against her.

there's been like 3 or 4 examples of this. at the very least, they could say that they knew it was lacking, and this is why they did it that way and it was the best they could do with what they had.

17. Jul 6, 2011 #17 of 121
    MrCouchPotato

MrCouchPotato Member

Dec 12, 2005
    +1 :up:

Ya! I was talking to the TV. "Tell them that the cheap Ronco Porta-Grill would not get hot enough to char the chicken!"

It was definitely no surprise to see Justin D get the hook.

I had to shake my head in the previous week with Justin B's indignation that he was picked to leave. Sure he could cook, but just fell apart in front of the camera every time.

18. Jul 6, 2011 #18 of 121
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I agree on both counts. Justin B. may be a great cook but has the on air personality of a wall board. Justin D. had the personality of a schizophrenic. I'm pulling for Susie or Whitney. I like Vic too but his smile seems forced, as if he's trying to hard to fend off the 'scary' look.

19. Jul 6, 2011 #19 of 121
    cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Has Vic Vegas been on Food Network before? Ilana & I both think we have seen him elsewhere...

20. Jul 7, 2011 #20 of 121
    GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA