Folders

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sd2528, Sep 16, 2019.

1. sd2528

sd2528 Member

Nov 5, 2006
    If there is one simple feature I'm shocked never made it to TiVo it is user created folders. I'd love to group recordings/streaming content by who wants to watch them. To contain all the crap my kids keep in on place? That the dream. To assign one passes to be put into one or multiple categories automatically so everyone who uses the TV has their own personal view. It seems like such a simple concept that has been on every OS from the beginning.

Noelmel likes this.
  2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You could do it but not easily. You would have to save all of your shows from TiVo to a PC and then change those show IDs to a common one that you make up and then send them back to the TiVo. You would lose some show metadata so prolly not worth the hassle.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Plus, there is the possibility of the corruption seemingly of the local TiVo box show database, making shows (both those transferred as well as future shows) unplayable, which some of us have faced.

bobfrank and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think you might be able to create a wish list search that encompasses the desired shows and then they would be available to access from my shows in a new folder titled by the name of the wish list search.

5. sd2528

sd2528 Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I could also buy a TiVo dedicated to each user, name it after them and then set up the one passes and streaming content on each corresponding TiVo.

There are ways to do it but I shouldn't have to do anything so complicated when folders have been the standard way of organizing digital files/content for over 40 years. Every computer, smart phone, tablet, cloud storage solution has it.

Noelmel likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And TiVo (and its shareholders) thank you! ;)

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    "Folders" on TiVo are not really folders. They're groups. A single recording can actually appear in multiple "folders". So they're not really organizational, like you'd think of folders on a PC.

As for user profiles.... we've been asking for those for 10+ years and they've never done it. So I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

jrtroo and Noelmel like this.
  8. sd2528

sd2528 Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I call it folders and you can call it profiles but in the end I think we are talking about the same thing. A filter of sorts so that people only see what they care about. Profiles just has a more cumbersome and data collection feel to it. Like I'd have to give them personal information or something.

I don't want to create an account to use this feature. Just a user defined way of organizing my content.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    By Profiles I meant something like Netflix, and other streaming platforms, have where you can have multiple users with their own set of recordings, One Passes, etc... doesn’t really matter how it works under the hood as long as it filters the My Shows list for the active user.

We've been asking for that functionality for at least a decade. TiVo has never bothered to add it. They did at one point have a feature called KidsZone that would filter the list just to show kids shows and required a pin code to back out of, but that was removed when they upgraded to the new UI.

Manual sorting into "folder" is something they've specifically said, at least in the past, is something they didn’t want to do. But they've never said "no" to user profiles. In fact there was a screen shot floating around years ago that actually showed a multiple user selection screen.

Kaphka and Noelmel like this.
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I wonder why. On a 3TB box, the shows list gets long, even using TiVo's left-column categories (news, sports, movies, etc.).

ufo4sale and Noelmel like this.
  11. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    TiVo is a smart box that has specific functionality based on certain things happening. If you record this then a specific set of things happen besides the actual recording, which results in a visual index catalogue of where the recordings are kept for the easiest access. It worked fine when the storage space was limited by the technical limitations of that time, but the core TiVo software never kept up with the changes of storage capacity and content expansion because new ownership never had the software experience of the original owners and today we are wondering if they have any experience at all.

Given the new ownership (Rovi) and recent record, it's probably better that they leave the core functionality the **** alone. They have yet to prove any technology capacity of their own and if their new (The Edge)release turns into another intolerant turd of technology, it's all over for this company, anyway. No, believe me, you don't want them touching anything of the core software not until they prove they have the technical capacity with the release of their next TiVo.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  12. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Please list exactly what the new model has to do beyond the current model. And I'll see if I care about such... since I spend over 99% of my time viewing recordings it's virtually impossible to really "improve" the experience.
    I don't believe you... I love AutoSkip.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019