FMC or FXM?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Feb 7, 2012.

FMC or FXM?

1. FMC - I like my movies untouched

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. FXM - I don't care what's missing and I like commercial breaks

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Doesn't matter to me. I'll watch anything

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Don't get this channel, so not bothered

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. I don't have an iMovie

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Maybe this should be a poll?

Have you noticed that Fox Movie Channel has split between being itself and a new format called FX Movies? It's switching between them every 12 hours and the main difference is the latter has more recent films and limited commercial breaks, attempting to follow the revenue-generating lead set by AMC.

WTF???

The reason I will categorically NOT watch anything on AMC is because of the commercials. I know they have some 'original' shows (mostly BBC or other imports passed off as original), but any time a channel calls itself a MOVIE channel, that's what I want to see, not ads for tampons in the middle of the action!

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I don't think they really call themselves a movie channel anymore -- which was a big part of the reason they changed their name from "American Movie Classics" to "AMC."

Also, I don't know where you got the idea that their original shows are imports -- at least their "big three," "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad," and "Walking Dead," definitely are original to them.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It as always bugged me that channels I PAY for have advertising as well. But that's the way it is. Honestly, I want to watch uncut movies. If they want to do commercials before and after the movie, I'm fine with that. A movie should be contiguous, not split up into parts broken up by commercials.

4. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think I get this channel, so that is how I voted.

But if I did get it, my answer would depend on whether it was just part of a cable package, in which case commercials are fine, or if it was a separate premium pay channel, in which case commercials and edits are not okay.

I don't mind watching an edited version of Wedding Crashers on TBS when I'm bored on a Saturday night, but if I was paying for a channel it better be the full movie, unedited and no commercials.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'm satisfied with the way movies run on the original FX channel. Appropriate cuts and dubs to make movies more family friendly, and ads that let you go get a snack or use the lavatory.

6. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=480867

I don't need commercials for bathroom breaks, it's why I have a TiVo.
    When I scan channels for movies to record I now avoid the FMC ones in the evenings. You don't really need to pay attention to the times, they tend to repeat those movies as well so they stand out.
    What I like about TCM and used to like about AMC, is the selection of older movies that you don't see very often. At times there are movies showing that have never been released on home video. If you don't see them on TV you likely won't see them.

For me the result of the messing up of FMC is that it now shows 1/2 the shows it used to. It hasn't yet been removed from my channels like AMC was.

7. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    So, that's why the program guide is so totally screwed up. ;)