Flying Wild Alaska and Gold Rush Alaska are back

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bob Coxner, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Flying Wild Alaska - Discovery Channel, Oct 28th, 10:09pm EDT.

Gold Rush Alaska - Discovery Channel, Oct 28th, 8:00pm EDT

For whatever reason, my DirecTV guide now just calls it "Gold Rush" and has dropped the Alaska bit. My original SP didn't pick it up.

I'm really happy to see Flying Wild back. Ariel Tweto was on Craig Ferguson a few weeks ago and she was as beautiful and charming there as she is in Alaska. Based on what she said on Ferguson, apparently she spends winters in southern California. Her bio says she went to Chapman College there. http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/flying-wild-alaska/bios/ariel-tweto-bio.html

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I wonder if the older guy that came in to help on Gold Rush will be back after he pulled a pretty shady move on those guys by sneaking in and buying the claim outright after they found the gold.

3. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping Flying Wild Alaska would be back!

4. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I like both of these shows even though Gold Rush seems to be a typical Discovery channel just act stupid we'll cover the costs show.

In a bathing suit scene last year Ariel has a big tattoo on her side which I'm pretty sure she didn't get in Alaska so the innocent Alaska girl angle doesn't work for me either.

These shows remind me of the early days of the Deadliest Catch series when they all had rusty boats and now they all look new except for the rookies.

5. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    These days I think you can have a tattoo and still be innocent. :) Ariel is really cute on the outside but I like her as much for her cheerful attitude towards life. I just feel better after watching her.

I agree with you on Gold Rush. They're a bunch of idiots who only survive because of Discovery money. I disagree strongly on Flying Wild. Era Alaska has been in operation since 1948, so they obviously know what they're doing. Also, the money is vastly different than Gold Rush. A couple of hundred thousand dollars is enough to keep those guys going. The most recent numbers I can find for Era Alaska were from 2008 and they had $124 million in revenue that year. What Discovery pays them isn't going to keep them going if they don't make money as an airline.

6. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I believe Ariel is a producer of the show. As someone said above, she went to school in CA. I'm not sure the show would exist if it were not for her. I love the show and the whole family. Glad it's back.

7. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I think naive is a more accurate description. No one that cute is innocent.

8. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the heads up. Lost all my SP's last year (don't ask) and would have missed both. Really like FWA. I guess I must enjoy watching people work. :D

9. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    It appears the big topic this year with be Ariel learning to fly. I read two articles promoting that but neither gives away the answer of whether she gets a license.

I checked the FAA registry and:

If she got the license, it doesn't show yet. All they say is that she has an up to date class one medical and a student pilot license.

10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    There is also a "pre" show for Gold Rush.

And I had the same problem with my SP. They dropped the :Alaska part and I had to do a new SP.

11. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I really like Ariel but there's not enough money in the world that would get me in a plane piloted by her. :)

12. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Yep, she's cute and entertaining, but seems like quite a ditz. Not someone I'd trust to pilot a plane.

13. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I know lots of commercial pilots. It might surprise you how odd/ditzy some of them are.

14. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    You're probably right, but what I don't know won't hurt me! :D Having seen Ariel in action, I wouldn't get in a plane she was piloting.

15. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    We're assuming she got the first class could when you're young and brand-new healthy you might as well.

If they have intentions of her getting a commercial certificate to fly charters, well....I'm glad they fly way up dere away in Alaska.

AIG Insurance is gonna need another bailout.

16. Gary McCoy

Gary McCoy Active Member

Jun 4, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I watched the Season 2 debut of Gold Rush tonight. It is entirely appropriate that they dropped "Alaska" from the title since they will apparently end up mining in the Klondike region of Canada.

The first episode really reinforced what screwups these guys are, especially Todd, the leader.

Firstly, Todd puts his money down on a claim in the Klondike, while failing to make the lease payment on last year's claim to Earl, the claim owner. This breaks the terms of the lease, and Earl (who got less gold than he expected the first season, then got stiffed on the lease payment) was perfectly justified in selling the claim to Dakota Fred. Of course, had Todd made the lease payment, they probably could have mined the claim regardless of the sale.

They can't raise any money from a Banker (I wonder why) and Todd's Mother decides to sell part of the family business (an airport) to fund mining this year. Todd talks about working two claims.

Then the claim in the Klondike cannot be worked because there is no license to pump water for mining - so Todd has paid for a claim he can't use, wasting his cash. So the money for the claim and for the too-small D8 bulldozer already on it's way to the Klondike appears to be wasted.

So they go back to the original claim - for which they have no valid lease, and begin mining. With one hour of digging they recover a goodly amount of gold. Then Dakota Fred shows up, informs them he is the new claim owner, their lease is invalid, and asks them to leave, making a lowball offer of $80,000 for their mining equipment. Near violence ensues.

Lastly the whole crew starts driving to the Klondike, while Todd phones around for a claim they can work.

17. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    Did anyone else happen to see Ariel on Wipeout a few seasons ago? It was before FWA started and was the first time I became aware of her. When we started watching FWA I was like Wow, I've seen that girl before! A real cutie, glad she's back!

18. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Huh? No, but....

Look for Ariel to have her own show at some point, if this isn't it. I can't imagine she'd make it with a talk show but with the right straight man, maybe. She does good with Craig Ferguson.

She's got a body for television. (Stop that. With a big head like a cartoon character.)

19. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    The Three Stooges would make better miners than the Hoffmans.

20. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    I was surprised at how little Jack was pissed at Todd for forgetting to make the lease payment. All he seemed to care about was getting his precious 400 out of there.

I would have been much more pissed about missing the lease payment. This all seems a bit contrived to me, possibly for future "dramatics" on the show?