Flipping channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MJCow, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 12
    MJCow

MJCow New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I am a new Tivo user. My service provider is Dish Net. The only thing I don't like about Tivo is that channels flipping is very slow, so I feel I am basically channel crawlling. With the Dish remote it's faster; is it a known problem or I have something not setup correctly. I would really hate living with two remotes?!?!

Thanks.
    --------------------
    Nevermind, I just saw the answer to my question inthe FAQ, though no solution is given.

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 12
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    The solution is that Tivo will change your style of viewing and the problem goes away because it is irrelevant.

The secret is that 95% users of Tivo have only vague recollections of channel surfing.

You will find that over the next two or four weeks you stop watching live TV at all.

Ever.

Your most frequent key is FF or the Tivo key when you get bored. You just jump to another cool show recorded at god knows what time on god knows what channel that you weren't even aware was on. It just recorded it because you told tivo you liked the subject eg "battleship", or the actor- "Spencer Tracy" or the type of show- "cooking".

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 12
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    since the command has to go into the TiVo, then out the IR balster and into the Dish receiver and then it changes channel and then the TiVo has to lock onto the new channel now coming in on the input and stabalize it for display -- it will always take time to change the channel, no way around it.

now since you just got the TiVo you have not filled up the now playing list with recorded shows and have a bunch of season passes lined up. When you do you will find you really no longer change channels while watching TiVo but just use the now playing menu because it is full of the shows you wnat to watch already.

so keep the other remote around nad find that over time you use the dish remote less and less and finally it just goes in a drawer

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 12
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I had the Dish Network/TiVo combo for a LONG time, and I feel your pain. There's really not much you can do about it.

What you'll find less painful is the ability to watch what you want when you want to. And "Guide Surfing" instead of channel surfing. I'm not a surfer at all but my husband is, and he became the expert TiVo guide surfer.

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 12
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Someone posing as a Tivo owner might know that it was not a Tivo Guide, but a Tivo "Now Playing" list.

Other posers might not.

Being an actual Tivo owner and Dish Network customer, I can tell you I never use the Dish remote any more, and I never channel surf any more, even though at one time surfing was my main viewing style- sometimes at the rate of a channel every couple of seconds.

You find that you are oriented towards your Now playing list, not the Cable or Satellite line up. In fact, you will be unaware what day or time anything is on anymore.

You will find in fact that you need fewer packages of shows because you do not need 250 channels Right now of stuff only a handful of which is only vaguely interesting. Instead, you have 250 or more shows available right now, that were recorded for you automatically because you declared your interest in particular subjects, directors or actors.

6. Jan 9, 2006 #6 of 12
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    What the hell are you babbling about. I was referring to the GUIDE not the "now playing" list. Some of us still do watch time-shifted "live" TV you moron. Some people do actually still watch real-live-TV too.

Not ALL of us use TiVo the same way as you. Ever hear the saying "it lets you watch TV the way YOU want..." -- it's not "it lets you watch TV the way Justin thinks you should."

Can you not read?

Did you hear the part where I said I'm not a surfer? Did you hear the part about watching what you want when you want to (ie., "Now Playing"). Wow, you really are thick.

7. Jan 9, 2006 #7 of 12
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Yeah. You also said you felt his pain. Explain how you could feel someone's pain for something you don't do.

You claim that you have owned a Tivo since it came out, and your husband uses the guide to flip between listings in a surfing like manner.

Ok fine. Even the grandmother in my family stopped doing that after about 2 weeks. Every Tivo owner I know has the same experience. Maybe you and your husband are the exception. Fine.

You are entitled to assert many things that are unsubstantiatable- That you are a Tivo Junkie, that you love your Tivo,, etc etc.

I am entitled to say I don't believe you.

8. Jan 9, 2006 #8 of 12
    TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Because I know how the Dish receiver via IR blaster works... and it's SLOW. Changing channels is a slow experience. Just because I know so doesn't mean I channel surf.

If that were the case, how could you argue with me about it? According to you, you never surf, so you shouldn't know whether it's fast or slow. The fact you're even raising issue with me about it shows that all you want to do is pick a fight.

Give me a break Jason. Just because you say it can't be, doesn't mean it isn't. You aren't God of TiVo. Some of us do actually watch live TV... just because YOU don't doesn't mean it's "wrong" to do so.

Go ahead and don't believe me, that's your choice. But telling other people to put me on ignore and insinuating I'm a liar is quite another thing. You have no proof I don't own a TiVo and I've already provided as much proofs as I can that I do. I'm a member here longer than you, so I didn't just join to "mess around with the TiVo people". Good thing you don't work for TiVo because if you treated a customer this way it would be a really great way to lose customers. Thankfully you don't represent most of the members on this site.

9. Jan 9, 2006 #9 of 12
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Anyone want to channel surf, you pick up the dish remote. There is no pain here that I see except that which you manufactured.

Flipping through the guide is not what people generally do as a substitute for channel flipping.

The mind set of the viewer changes- they become oriented towards an array of choices that is a complete substitute for the Carrier's set of channels. There is always more content there of interest than one could possibly have time to watch.

Channel surfing is an archaic style of TV watching as has been noted innumerable times in articles about Tivo and here on this forum.

Many DVRs from carriers discourage this style of viewing, and not surprisingly, because such viewing tends to reduce the appetite for more carrier services.

10. Atomike

Atomike New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Don't you love it when a person is SO full of himself, he can no longer distinguish an opinion from a fact?

11. Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Styles of viewing are subjectively determined. I was making a broad statement about the widely observed effect of Tivos.

Do you disagree with that this effect exists, or are you making an observation about my abrasive way of expressing this concept. I'd like to discuss the former, and apologize about the latter.

12. Spiky

Spiky Macman

May 30, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Wow. Just....wow. Anybody suppose the original poster will ever come back here? He most likely thinks everyone at TC is a jerk. Don't apologize, just be polite in the first place.

Any chance anyone noticed the OP found the answer to his own question? Before any replies were made in this thread? Hopefully he never saw the rest of it. Time to close the thread.