Flight of the Conchords 08/12/2007 (S01E09) "What Goes on Tour"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by madscientist, Aug 14, 2007.

1. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA

Advertisements

Well, this episode had the fewest number of songs and was my least favorite. I did like the Mermaid song, though, especially the beginning when they're moving down the hotel corridor. Also, the girls using their bar tab was pretty funny. Still, I didn't like it nearly as much as past shows. I hope they get back to what they do best.

I definitely hope HBO picks it up for another season, though.

2. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    Well, seeing how they just canceled John from Cincinnati, which had more viewers, I would doubt Flight of the Conchords get renewed.

I sure hope it does, though, because this is hands down my favorite show of the year (including all fall shows).

3. writdenied

writdenied New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    The tone of this one was off, particularly with Murray. He's supposed to be incurably optimistic, and in this episode, he was just mean and deceitful. It was actually kind of painful to watch.

I didn't care much for the mermaid song, except the last line ("or are you an optical illusion of a woman sitting on a rock holding a fish?") which made the anticipation of something funny worthwhile.

I did laugh at one bit near the end:

Murray: (to Brett) You're trying to act like a rock star by smashing the t.v. At least Jermaine's stunt with the nuts was original.
    Jermaine: (quietly) Thanks.

4. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    I would think the budgets between the two are NO WHERE comparable so viewership alone might not be the deciding factor.

5. Chibbie

Chibbie New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Lexington, KY

Advertisements

I agree it was kinda painful to watch, only because I felt bad for Murray. He was dipping into his own money to pay for the band's "tour". Plus, it looked like he was paying people to let them play as well.

I loved Mel pretending to be asleep in the back seat of the car.

6. writdenied

writdenied New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    My spousal equivalent thought that, too. Actually, he was paying off the venue owner because Jermaine accidentially stuck his guitar through an amp on stage, and then Brett yanked on a guitar cord and caused something else to fall on the floor -- i.e. Murray was paying for stuff the guys broke (just like the rest of the episode).

7. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    I was looking forward to seeing them go on tour, but surprisingly, taking the show's quirky vision of New York out of the mix actually robbed it of a lot of its charm.

Still, Brett and Jermaine immediately blowing their per diems on leather suits was pretty funny, as was their insistence on continuing to wear them as they shrunk smaller and smaller.

8. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
  9. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    Actually I thought he's always been a bit mean and deceitful...and his incurable optimism is part of the deceit. Both of others and of himself. He's always been portrayed as a very self-centered person, just too incompetent to be much of a villain. Since this particular episode was a bit more about him, we got more of his bad side than usual.

10. Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA
    True. Then again, I wouldn't say that Flight of the Conchords is super-low budget. There's quite a bit of special effects, camera effects and editing required (heck even choreography) to produce the show (and especially the songs, which are really mini-videos).

Especially compared to, say, Lucky Louie, which had to be the lowest budget show to produce in HBO history (if not television history!), by a long shot.

If they renew FotC, it will be because the artistic panache of the show reflects well on HBO.

11. writdenied

writdenied New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    I suppose he's always been deceitful -- yanking the cord out of the computer so the hot tech support woman would come back; sticking his picture in with the pile of band photos for Mel to look at, etc. -- but it's always been a very innocent and childlike (albeit selfish) kind of deceit. In this episode, he's into full-blown "lie to your girlfriend about what you're doing" kind of deceit that is far less charming and far more harmful.

As for mean, I've never really found him to be such. When the guys were snubbing his tour of rotundas and gazebos (or was it bandshells and gazebos?) he blasted them, but in sort of a weak, feeble way. Imagine if he had ripped into them then with the same anger that he did on tour -- would it have been so amusing then?

I just like the meek, feeble, "I work in a closet in the New Zealand consulate"-Murray. The charm of the show is that all three major characters are feckless and childlike in a cruel, uncaring city. Angry Murray just doesn't have the same fuzzy feeling about him.

12. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    So we're seeing a bit more of the real Murray. This is what selfish people are like.
    He's having a bad day. I mean, come on, if he didn't blow his stack after losing all his money and his car, he wouldn't be a very believable character, now would he? Everyone has their breaking point - if they don't, then they are just a very silly and one-dimensional stereotype. It's called building a character story arc; that's what's going on here, IMO.
    Well, he wasn't really that angry, and his anger didn't last very long. And characters develop, if you want to have an interesting story arc. Otherwise, if characters don't develop, you run out of ideas very fast and end up doing the same episode over and over.

13. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    It has been renewed, along with Entourage.

14. mattpol

mattpol ILYA KOVALCHUK

Jul 23, 2003
    NEW YORK...
    Just FYI, "artistic panache" is read "hipster appeal."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

15. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    To be fair, they shrunk too much that they could not take them off :D

16. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    worst episode this season. yuck :(

give us more songs!