1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickering screen, no sound. HDMI, Tivo, AVR or TV??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BB3, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Nov 1, 2018 #1 of 13
    BB3

BB3 New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    NW Florida
    I need some help from someone smarter than me(a very large subset of the populace). I have both a XL4 and Roamio running through an HDMI switch. They are connected to a Marantz SR 8001 AVR running to an older Sony XBR TV. Been using the setup for years with no significant problems. For that last month or so every time I turn on the TV and AVR i get lengthy periods of screen flicker alternating with complete snow and no audio. Eventually, although sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes it all seems to settle down and operate normally. This happens with both Tivo's when switching back and forth(until both settle down). this is maddening. At first i thought perhaps it was some kind of HDMI handshaking issue so i replaced all the HDMI cables with new. Nope. So I replaced the switch with a better one. Nuh-uh. It seemed unlikely it would be the Tivo's since both were acting the same way. So, I ran one Tivo directly to the TV and , lo and behold, working(at least once i turned the crappy TV speaker back on). Have i answered my own question and narrowed this down to the AVR? Which would suck as it's the finest piece of audio tech I've ever owned, even if it is 12 years old. Or could it be some less tragic problem? And, if it is the AVR, is there a fix short of scrapping it? IIRC the AVR was only HDMI 1.1 or 1.2--could that be the issue?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Nov 1, 2018 #2 of 13
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Wait...what?

[​IMG]

-KP

3. Nov 1, 2018 #3 of 13
    BB3

BB3 New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    NW Florida
    Mine is the 8001--has HDMI inputs with , If i remember right, a single output.

4. Nov 2, 2018 #4 of 13
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Oh...Like this:?

[​IMG]

Why are you using an external switch?

-KP

5. Nov 2, 2018 #5 of 13
    BB3

BB3 New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    NW Florida
    Two Tivo's. Single HDMI input on the TV.

And, yes, like that.

6. Nov 2, 2018 #6 of 13
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Why not just plug the TiVo's in to the Marantz and then on to the TV?

-KP

7. Nov 2, 2018 #7 of 13
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    What kpeters59 said. I have two TiVos, a Blu-ray player, and Chromecast, all plugged into HDMI inputs on my AVR, and then a single HDMI out from my AVR to my TV. I use the AVR as an HDMI "switch." I only use a single HDMI input on my TV, even though it has three.

8. Nov 2, 2018 #8 of 13
    BB3

BB3 New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    NW Florida
    Well, i guess i should have discussed the whole history, although i didn't think it was relevant to the question. When i got the Roamio to add to the XL4 already in service , i hooked it up like you suggest(just adding the Roamio to an open HDMI on the AVR). Suddenly, no audio with either Tivo. Tired adjusting every setting and changing/swapping every port imaginable. after maybe three weeks of frustration, still no audio(although the Blu-Ray, player, VCR and CD player all still worked fine). So i settled on the switch as a way to get both Tivo's and the AVR to work--and it did for 1-2 years until the situation described above.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  9. Nov 2, 2018 #9 of 13
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    That's odd...I've connected dozens of TiVo's to an AVR without that issue. Mostly though with only 1 TiVo per room.

Not sure what you've already tried, but maybe give it another go? It should work.

Otherwise, if the current setup has been working, then something must have broke if it quit working. Maybe the switcher?

-KP

10. BB3

BB3 New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    NW Florida
    Replaced the switcher. And all the HDMI cables. Didn't get better and may even have gotten a tad worse but that may be colored by my frustration. Confusing as all get out. Guess I could start over an re-run everything but the thought makes me tired and, of course, everything is very hard to get to. Might buy a new receiver just to not have to shift that monstrously heavy Marantz around.

11. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Does the problem occur going directly from the Switcher to the TV?

Have you tried different Output Resolutions on the TiVo's?

-KP

12. BB3

BB3 New Member

Nov 28, 2006
    NW Florida
    It does not.

The output resolutions are all set at 1080i which is the max the tv supports. Tthey've always been set there.

13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Any chance that Marantz just got a Firmware Update?

Something changed if it worked before.

Maybe try the Marantz's 2nd HDMI output?

Also, maybe try a different input from the switcher.

And I'd still try some different Output Resolutions from the TiVo's to test what happens.

-KP